IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Royal Palms as street trees in Artesia, CA

anaheimpalmguy

I was driving through Artesia the other night and came across street plantings of Royal Palms along South St. west and east of Pioneer Blvd.  I don’t recall ever seeing street plantings of Royals in SoCal before, except of course along Bear St. at South Coast Plaza.  These were planted in the center median along South St.  They must been planted in phases, with the most mature ones nearest Pioneer Blvd.  Less mature ones occur a little further east, and the newest plantings beyond that.  Some of the newest Royals look to be struggling a bit, while the rest look very healthy.  There must be 20-25 Royals in all along here.

If anyone knows of other street plantings of Royals in SoCal, please chime in.  

I was there at night, but I found some relatively recent Google street views that show some of the plantings.  Here they are:

Screen Shot 2017-10-31 at 4.55.03 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-10-31 at 4.54.15 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-10-31 at 4.56.45 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-10-31 at 2.18.30 PM.png

• Like 2
  • Upvote 5

Whoa!

Sweet!

Did you have an all you can eat Indian buffet? :)

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

awesome!!

I'm glad that City has good taste!

I wonder if there is a palm lover in their staff over there?

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

• 1 year later...

Any updates @anaheimpalmguy??

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

VERY NICE!  Here is a Google photo of some Royals on Moulton parkway in Laguna Hills.  These look great year round.  They are MASSIVE TOO!

Screen_Shot_2019-09-06_at_12_41.22_PM.png

• Like 3

Dana Point Tropicals - C-27 License #906810

(949) 542-0999

3 hours ago, Mr.SamuraiSword said:

Is this a coconut in the backround?

520956678_ScreenShot2019-09-06at12_57_59PM.png.7bcaf4bc0d13a6e9cc19659602cbec0a.png

Looks like bigfoot sighting photo.

It looks like a Ravenea rivularis (Majesty palm). Except of the trunk, they do look similar. Here are a couple of examples (not my pictures):

Ravenea_hab2_pja.jpg

ravenea_rivularis.jpg

5ba84d1e37662c1659f0523c241bfc27_w800.jpg

Edited by GottmitAlex
  • Like 2

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)