PalmTreeDude

Australians, Does This Seem Right?

PalmTreeDude

Does this hardiness zone map seem about right?

australia-plant-hardiness-zones-map.jpg

• Upvote 2

Yunder Wækraus

I'm not Australian, but I'll be moving to Cairns in January (zone 12 on your map). It's hard to see the colors for the colder temperatures--are they on there?

James West

Hi PalmTreeDude. I live in Sydney, but unfortunately I'm a little colourblind. The map seems to indicate minus temperatures for Sydney. That does happen in the western suburbs of the Greater Sydney region, but coastal Sydney winter overnights rarely drop below about 8 celsius. Plenty of tropical flora here - even a couple of struggling coconuts in the City Gardens

Sydney coconut palm.jpg

• Upvote 1

Daryl

IMO the map doesn't really reflect the actual climates or their ability to sustain good palm health....too many other factors to consider besides minimum temps. Even the minimum temps cannot be depended on for example a lot of the map is zone 10a....the climate varies considerably, both in heat, winter max temps, humidity, rainfall, and also frequency of those cold temps...for some 10a areas the temps will occur for long periods every year, and for other areas the temps may occur once in 100 years...that is a huge difference just for minimum temps...some 10a areas on the map will produce scorching low humidity heat that many palms will not tolerate...so I don't know what you could use the map for?

• Upvote 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• palmtreesforpleasure
      By palmtreesforpleasure
      What species is this palm leaf from and who is this strange person i ran into
      regards
      Colin

• Xerarch
      By Xerarch
      Nicest Aceolorrhaphe wrightii I have noticed, all survived but this is the only one I’ve seen where the existing trunks survived, even a big one on the island died to the ground and started regrowing. There were only ever a handful around to begin with that I’m aware of. 

• PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      I have found four more palms of an unknown species of Veitchia I grew from seeds I received from Australia in 2019. The Seller sold them to me as coming from an unknown Ptychosperma but consensus on PT is that they are actually Veitchias. All Veitchias are solitary palms as you can read below:
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veitchia
      The palms are as follows:
      1.5g x2: Both are going pinnate. Cost = $12.00 each
      1g x1: Bifid leaves. Cost = $9.00
      6" pot x1: Bifid leaves. Cost = $5.00
            OR Take all 4 for $30.00
      Shipping = $15.00 outside of FL, $12.00 within FL
      Roots wrapped in damp orchid moss, clear wrap and foil. No shipping overseas. No shipping to HI
      Payment via Paypal
      PM me if you are interested. Tell me how which palms you wish to purchase and give me your name/address to copy/paste on a mailing label. I will PM back a quote. When you pay, tell me.
      NOTE: Please give me 24 hours to respond. After 24 hours, send me a civil reminder.
      Photos

• Yunder Wækraus
      By Yunder Wækraus
      I’m taking my boys on a 4-wheel driving adventure north of our home in Cairns later this month. Are there wild foxtail groves that can be visited by the public?
    • PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      For sale are 8 4" pots of an unknown Ptychosperma I received seeds for from Australia in 2019. I am sure these palms are Ptychosperma but I am unsure which species they are. They have stayed fairly small and grow well although not super fast. They are faster and more robust than P. elegans, which I have and have germinated so I'm sure they aren't that species. According to Palmpedia, there are 22 species of Ptchosperma:
      http://www.palmpedia.net/wiki/Category:PTYCHOSPERMA
      I am selling these seedlings as follows:
      Ptychosperma unk species in 4" pots: $15.00 for Lot of 4. Two Lots Only
      Shipping = $10.00 per lot. Sold without pots/soil with roots wrapped in damp orchid moss, clear wrap and foil
      TOTAL = $25.00 per Lot
      No shipping outside the US. No shipping to HI
      Payment via Paypal
      PM me if you are interested. Give me your name/address to copy/paste on a mailing label. I will PM back a quote. When you pay, tell me.
      NOTE: Please give me 24 hours to respond. After 24 hours, send me a civil reminder.
      Photos