IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

2017-2018 Winter Continental U.S.

Matthew92

Hint: Stay wary of weather when members of Storm2k are happy. Celebrate in joy when they are angry.

Edited by AnTonY

Looks like nasty weather is coming down the pipeline on Christmas eve.... calling for an icy/snowy/rainy Christmas here. 

• Upvote 1

On 10/31/2017, 3:46:55, PalmTreeDude said:

I just hate that one day we have every winter where the temperature makes us a USDA zone 7a/7b. Without this one "freeze" day we would be a 8a (sometimes 8b) climate. 

Story of our lives on the fall line... We rarely ever go bellow 15f with 90+ % being over 20F yet we get 1 snap every few years and it plummets our zone. Hell I dont even know why we are 7a when the coldest I can remember is 5f for 30-60 mins like 6 years ago which should make us at the very least 7b, but 99% of our weather would put us in the 8a range easily...

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

@TexasColdHardyPalms Hope you don't get hit too hard over there.  We're supposed to have a brief cool off (down to 70F/50F), but nothing substantial.

@mdsonofthesouth & @PalmTreeDude Time to start lobbying for a mountain range to be constructed on the northern border to keep those arctic blasts away.  The eastern US gets screwed as far as warmth of climate, even at lower latitudes.  Just part of the game I guess.

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

@kinzyjr Appalachian mountains help alot, but not enough. The northeast sometimes reminds us how close we are to them and sends us their cold weather. Oh well such is life I guess...

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

Looks like it will be nearly a non-event for Texas too...Christmas Eve forecast:

Houston:  64/38

Galveston: 62/45

San Antonio: 67/34

Corpus Christi: 71/46

Brownsville: 73/51

South Padre Island: 68/57

Highs for Christmas Day will be 5-10 degrees cooler but no real cold as the wind shifts E/SE in the evening 

Huge improvement from the 20s and 30s prediction from earlier in the week 

Edited by Xenon

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

13 hours ago, kinzyjr said:

@mdsonofthesouth & @PalmTreeDude Time to start lobbying for a mountain range to be constructed on the northern border to keep those arctic blasts away.  The eastern US gets screwed as far as warmth of climate, even at lower latitudes.  Just part of the game I guess.

And since most of Canada's population lives along the US border region, that mountain range could be built a good bit north of the border without affecting lives much. Gotta make it v-shaped, though:

canada-population1.jpg

Edited by AnTonY
  • Upvote 1

@AnTonY LOL... an interesting concept, but at least for me, totally kidding :)

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

6 hours ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

Looks like we'll ring in the new year with another plunge of artic air for everyone to enjoy.

Yeesh, these models are crazy.

Merry Christmas to you all. :)

@TexasColdHardyPalms & @AnTonY

I'm sure the temperature predictions will change a hundred times before New Years.  Right now, Jan. 2nd looks to be the coldest with 59/43 predicted.

Merry Christmas! :)

Lakeland, FL

5-6 night with lows in the 20's forecast here. Wouldn't be surprised if one of those nights dips down lower than the forecasted 25 degrees for tomorrow night.

• 2 weeks later...

I was gone for much of this recent cold spell. Thankfully, I was able to move tender stuff into protection before leaving. Our yard thermometer recorded 22 at the lowest. I think 2-3 nights went into mid 20's and 2-3 more were somewhere in the 28-32 range. Not enough to do much damage to Washingtonians, Phoenix, or Livistona. Even my citrus which I didn't cover at all look to get off fairly well with not too much leaf loss. Not terrible considering what others got (especially places normally a little warmer than me (Charleston for example)).

• 4 weeks later...

Darn it........ Looks like all mid to high 60's in the 10 day forecast. I was hoping we would not have that this early. Now it's just a race to see if things like citrus/deciduous trees leaf out before the next freeze. I guarantee we are going to have another considerable freeze this winter, even if it's March. I hate it when everything tries to leaf out too early only to be killed by cold.

1 hour ago, Opal92 said:

Darn it........ Looks like all mid to high 60's in the 10 day forecast. I was hoping we would not have that this early. Now it's just a race to see if things like citrus/deciduous trees leaf out before the next freeze. I guarantee we are going to have another considerable freeze this winter, even if it's March. I hate it when everything tries to leaf out too early only to be killed by cold.

We have had this last year really bad. Wasnt too early, we just got a freak storm/event way too late. Same ending though...dead bloomed flowers and buds on trees. Basically set spring back a month into april sadly.