The Steve

Sabal Growth Rate

RJ

Any update to what Sabal this is? 

The Steve
On 9/26/2018, 7:58:35, RJ said:

Any update to what Sabal this is? 

Big seeds.  

AFE31131-6E2D-4DCE-83D4-EE9948D64941.thu792E7962-493A-40FB-8E6A-4827E89F0815.thu7D190F13-7A4D-46B4-BA2A-DE8F56745F6F.thu27143137-D8A3-476F-8373-332F7531EA40.thu

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

sonoranfans

Steve, what is the read in mm for seed diameter about 13mm?  If so, that is not a causiuarum which is 7-10mm as I recall.  My causiarum has round seeds the size of a pea and slightly larger. I remember your sabal had large ligules. If that is a 13mm seed, it would seem that ligules are not definitive for causiarum.  It is a beautiful palm, robust and fast growing with a dense crown.  It does look like its notably more dense of crown than my causiarum.  I know domingensis gets big fruits like that and possibly maritima another big sabal has big fruits as well as mexicana.

The Steve
On September 29, 2018 at 7:00:44 AM, sonoranfans said:

Steve, what is the read in mm for seed diameter about 13mm?  If so, that is not a causiuarum which is 7-10mm as I recall.  My causiarum has round seeds the size of a pea and slightly larger. I remember your sabal had large ligules. If that is a 13mm seed, it would seem that ligules are not definitive for causiarum.  It is a beautiful palm, robust and fast growing with a dense crown.  It does look like its notably more dense of crown than my causiarum.  I know domingensis gets big fruits like that and possibly maritima another big sabal has big fruits as well as mexicana.

Thanks, Tom.  It holds a ton of leaves, and from a rough count, there's about 18 right not (I need to mark them to count them accurately); I've had to hack a number of good leaves off, to clear a path.  This is what the seed measurement converts to in millimeters - 14.45.  To be fair, I grabbed the biggest seed.  Not sure why, but seed production seems to have pretty much stalled, perhaps because this is the first go.  As for the lingules: there is a thick webbing that wraps the leaf bases, but not the "papery" lingules, per se - at least to the extent that I have seen on other Sabals.

Edited by The Steve

Phoenikakias

Mexicana, either alone or an "ingredient". 

The Steve

Here’s a plant that was sold to me, as S. Maritima, 3-4 years ago.  Went in as a 5 gallon.

3CE154FA-DA29-4DB5-9F6F-8E3B5023F68F.thu

• Upvote 1

OC2Texaspalmlvr

Whats the final verdict on this specimen ? This palm has become my new favorite whatever It is cause of its size comparable to a Bizzy but with better hardiness I'm guessing

The Steve
12 hours ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

Whats the final verdict on this specimen ? This palm has become my new favorite whatever It is cause of its size comparable to a Bizzy but with better hardiness I'm guessing

That’s what I’ve heard, as well.  Honestly, I never did the research, to ID it.  It flowered for the first time last year, and just put out a small crop of seeds.  It’s fruiting again, and I’m wondering it I will get a more mature flowering to refer to.  The leaves are big...  I think that the roof line is about 8 feet tall, and I cut those leaves about 12” from the trunk.

Its wider than the Bizzy, but the fans may be smaller, which have both recently trunked.  Similar conditions.

FEC38626-C0CE-4C4B-9144-688A8CB910C1.thumb.jpeg.6e804d2ab4b93e176db2632ad8f58693.jpeg18FE4309-BC34-4030-80BE-1A81994C96C4.thumb.jpeg.fff86605bfaa528312f112b5721f353e.jpeg

69197B99-DFC5-4998-AE5B-1A0A8C20DDF2.thumb.jpeg.bef97cb2c0d35545447956e7787885b8.jpeg

Edited by The Steve

OC2Texaspalmlvr

Definitely keep us posted i know ill be following updates on it :)

The Steve

Here’s a few updates:

Sabal Bermudana 

D909CC84-F78C-4F9A-97CC-C8DABE4EEDF7.thumb.jpeg.fd073f0edad006d0c31c8b457dc28422.jpeg

The Steve

EB0E9498-1A94-4026-8757-CC84741BA811.thumb.jpeg.7c4edf2a5a677cfa250a051497bc0d2a.jpeg

The Steve

Sabal Uresana

A037A123-AE62-4129-9414-B6C1D4D7FD0D.thumb.jpeg.14fd5417de325b559e1ed370c11b4107.jpeg

• Like 1

The Steve

Sabal Maritima

AE1AA111-7E38-4B24-8DFE-4E696A896E07.thumb.jpeg.a6375224a6f1bedf24a885c9159c48b7.jpeg

• Like 1

OC2Texaspalmlvr

Maritima is looking real good