The Steve

Sabal Growth Rate

RJ

Any update to what Sabal this is? 

The Steve
On 9/26/2018, 7:58:35, RJ said:

Any update to what Sabal this is? 

Big seeds.  

AFE31131-6E2D-4DCE-83D4-EE9948D64941.thu792E7962-493A-40FB-8E6A-4827E89F0815.thu7D190F13-7A4D-46B4-BA2A-DE8F56745F6F.thu27143137-D8A3-476F-8373-332F7531EA40.thu

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

sonoranfans

Steve, what is the read in mm for seed diameter about 13mm?  If so, that is not a causiuarum which is 7-10mm as I recall.  My causiarum has round seeds the size of a pea and slightly larger. I remember your sabal had large ligules. If that is a 13mm seed, it would seem that ligules are not definitive for causiarum.  It is a beautiful palm, robust and fast growing with a dense crown.  It does look like its notably more dense of crown than my causiarum.  I know domingensis gets big fruits like that and possibly maritima another big sabal has big fruits as well as mexicana.

The Steve
On September 29, 2018 at 7:00:44 AM, sonoranfans said:

Steve, what is the read in mm for seed diameter about 13mm?  If so, that is not a causiuarum which is 7-10mm as I recall.  My causiarum has round seeds the size of a pea and slightly larger. I remember your sabal had large ligules. If that is a 13mm seed, it would seem that ligules are not definitive for causiarum.  It is a beautiful palm, robust and fast growing with a dense crown.  It does look like its notably more dense of crown than my causiarum.  I know domingensis gets big fruits like that and possibly maritima another big sabal has big fruits as well as mexicana.

Thanks, Tom.  It holds a ton of leaves, and from a rough count, there's about 18 right not (I need to mark them to count them accurately); I've had to hack a number of good leaves off, to clear a path.  This is what the seed measurement converts to in millimeters - 14.45.  To be fair, I grabbed the biggest seed.  Not sure why, but seed production seems to have pretty much stalled, perhaps because this is the first go.  As for the lingules: there is a thick webbing that wraps the leaf bases, but not the "papery" lingules, per se - at least to the extent that I have seen on other Sabals.

Edited by The Steve

Phoenikakias

Mexicana, either alone or an "ingredient". 

The Steve

Here’s a plant that was sold to me, as S. Maritima, 3-4 years ago.  Went in as a 5 gallon.

3CE154FA-DA29-4DB5-9F6F-8E3B5023F68F.thu

• Upvote 1

OC2Texaspalmlvr

Whats the final verdict on this specimen ? This palm has become my new favorite whatever It is cause of its size comparable to a Bizzy but with better hardiness I'm guessing

The Steve
12 hours ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

Whats the final verdict on this specimen ? This palm has become my new favorite whatever It is cause of its size comparable to a Bizzy but with better hardiness I'm guessing

That’s what I’ve heard, as well.  Honestly, I never did the research, to ID it.  It flowered for the first time last year, and just put out a small crop of seeds.  It’s fruiting again, and I’m wondering it I will get a more mature flowering to refer to.  The leaves are big...  I think that the roof line is about 8 feet tall, and I cut those leaves about 12” from the trunk.

Its wider than the Bizzy, but the fans may be smaller, which have both recently trunked.  Similar conditions.

FEC38626-C0CE-4C4B-9144-688A8CB910C1.thumb.jpeg.6e804d2ab4b93e176db2632ad8f58693.jpeg18FE4309-BC34-4030-80BE-1A81994C96C4.thumb.jpeg.fff86605bfaa528312f112b5721f353e.jpeg

69197B99-DFC5-4998-AE5B-1A0A8C20DDF2.thumb.jpeg.bef97cb2c0d35545447956e7787885b8.jpeg

Edited by The Steve

OC2Texaspalmlvr

Definitely keep us posted i know ill be following updates on it :)

The Steve

Here’s a few updates:

Sabal Bermudana 

D909CC84-F78C-4F9A-97CC-C8DABE4EEDF7.thumb.jpeg.fd073f0edad006d0c31c8b457dc28422.jpeg

The Steve

Sabal Uresana

A037A123-AE62-4129-9414-B6C1D4D7FD0D.thumb.jpeg.14fd5417de325b559e1ed370c11b4107.jpeg

• Like 1

The Steve

Sabal Maritima

AE1AA111-7E38-4B24-8DFE-4E696A896E07.thumb.jpeg.a6375224a6f1bedf24a885c9159c48b7.jpeg

• Like 1

OC2Texaspalmlvr

Maritima is looking real good 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• Luxliving
      By Luxliving
      Bon Apres-Midi,
      I'm looking to acquire a handful or so(whatever one may have to spare) of the following species of palm seeds. I'd be much obliged for your generosity.
      !) misc Brahea Species
      2)Cocothrinax dussiana
      3)Dypsis plumosa
      4 Adonidia merrillii
      5)Archontophoenix alexandrae 
      6) Sabal Species(Not Sabal minor)

• LasPalmerasDeMaryland
      By LasPalmerasDeMaryland
      Welp, the weather is warm and I’m finally going to tour my palms after this winter. This winter was very warm for Maryland Standards. The lowest temperature I can recall is 19°F. Which is good for my palms’ first winter to help acclimate them. 
    • PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      Still quarantining here in Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise), FL. And it's been a while since I posted any photos. I spent several weeks sewing masks and surgical caps for my son and daughter-in-law on the medical front lines as well as masks for my husband and me. It's also been hot and sweltering as well as drought stricken around here and because of that and that the monthly injection I give myself for chronic migraines ran out a week early, I was unable to spend much time outside. But..... We got a whopping 0.4" of rain this past week (the rest of the FL got 10x that) followed by one last gasp of cool, dry air and I was able to rectify my oversight and take some photos.
      About a month ago someone on PT asked me to take updated photos of my Caribbean Garden in front of the house. Around 95% of the palms in this garden come from that part of the world. The few interlopers are grandfathered in because they were planted before I adopted a unifying theme for this part of the yard. The genus Coccothrinax forms the backdrop. Some of them were planted as far back as 2004 and have weathered multiple hurricanes and tropical storms. If I were forced to plant only one genus of palm, Coccos would be my choice. They are tough yet elegant and the sight of those starlike leaves swaying with the breeze can brighten anyone's soul.
      Caribbean Garden Views, Cape Coral, FL, 2020

• Andrew19
      By Andrew19
      Hi everyone, I am an absolute noob and have not attempted at caring for a palm tree yet. I am in Ontario, Canada and take the family to Florida every few years. Each time we go my wife falls in love with the sabal palms down there. I would love to get one for the house, obviously keeping it outside in the warm months and caring for it indoors in the cooler months.
      Is it possible to have a potted sabal palm, or would temps and the overall eventual size be an issue? I am open to other types that resemble the sabal if they would be more manageable. 
      Thanks and apologies if this is a dumb question. Look forward to spending time with you on this forum
      Andrew
    • Grasswing
      By Grasswing
      Hello everybody,
      seven years ago, I published a topic about the Botanical garden of the Charles University.  The interior of the tropical greenhouse is full of rare and very old cycads (around 150 years) along with other plants.
      The botanical garden itself was founded in 1775, the first greenhouse complex dates back to 1882! It was rebuild many times and severely damaged in 1945 during WW2 bombings. The greenhouses were rebuild in 1949 and renovated in 1996.
      Why am I writing this? 
      One of the biggest trees you could find there was huge Sabal sp. - probably bermudana, which completely dominated the tropical part of the greenhouse. It was flowering and seeding periodically. It is hard to guess its age, maybe you could suggest something along with the species, but it was definitely pretty old fella.
        These pictures were taken in July 2013

Unfortunately, in 2018 I found out that they cut it down completely, leaving only parts of its majestic trunk scattered around. It was a huge shock for me, since it was my favourite palm in the area, and I always admired how big it grew. I can see the reason behind this drastic procedure, it was probably lifting the roof of the greenhouse but still it is a shame, it was a legacy of past Czech and maybe even German botanists.

Remains of the trunk with seedlings
      As I said before it was a seeding exemplar and even though they changed the substrate around the remains of the tree, I could notice small seedling coming up.  My palm hunter instincts turned on and I started thinking how to save atleast few, to keep the offspring of this historical tree alive. I asked the greenhouse curator, if I could dig few up and he helped me out! I was kind of surprised he was so willing to help. (the other option would be a bit less legal haha ).
      Few pictures of the babies, note that I was a bit sceptic about their survival, since they were not in a great state:

Fortunately my scepticism was wrong, and after two years I have 4 strong Sabal seedlings! They are my favourite plants partly because of the history behind them and I'm looking forward to see them grow.

Even though I called this thread a ballad, the ending is atleast somewhat happy. The memory of this Sabal with live on, and I am sure I'm not the only Czech palm lover who has few plants. The botanical garden has definitely some too. 
      Thank you for reading this far, if you have any suggestions about the tree age or species, feel free to comment!
      Regards
      Ondrej