IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Sabal Growth Rate

Sabal Steve

Steve, what is the read in mm for seed diameter about 13mm?  If so, that is not a causiuarum which is 7-10mm as I recall.  My causiarum has round seeds the size of a pea and slightly larger. I remember your sabal had large ligules. If that is a 13mm seed, it would seem that ligules are not definitive for causiarum.  It is a beautiful palm, robust and fast growing with a dense crown.  It does look like its notably more dense of crown than my causiarum.  I know domingensis gets big fruits like that and possibly maritima another big sabal has big fruits as well as mexicana.

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

On September 29, 2018 at 7:00:44 AM, sonoranfans said:

Steve, what is the read in mm for seed diameter about 13mm?  If so, that is not a causiuarum which is 7-10mm as I recall.  My causiarum has round seeds the size of a pea and slightly larger. I remember your sabal had large ligules. If that is a 13mm seed, it would seem that ligules are not definitive for causiarum.  It is a beautiful palm, robust and fast growing with a dense crown.  It does look like its notably more dense of crown than my causiarum.  I know domingensis gets big fruits like that and possibly maritima another big sabal has big fruits as well as mexicana.

Thanks, Tom.  It holds a ton of leaves, and from a rough count, there's about 18 right not (I need to mark them to count them accurately); I've had to hack a number of good leaves off, to clear a path.  This is what the seed measurement converts to in millimeters - 14.45.  To be fair, I grabbed the biggest seed.  Not sure why, but seed production seems to have pretty much stalled, perhaps because this is the first go.  As for the lingules: there is a thick webbing that wraps the leaf bases, but not the "papery" lingules, per se - at least to the extent that I have seen on other Sabals.

Edited by The Steve

• 7 months later...

Whats the final verdict on this specimen ? This palm has become my new favorite whatever It is cause of its size comparable to a Bizzy but with better hardiness I'm guessing

T J 

12 hours ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

Whats the final verdict on this specimen ? This palm has become my new favorite whatever It is cause of its size comparable to a Bizzy but with better hardiness I'm guessing

That’s what I’ve heard, as well.  Honestly, I never did the research, to ID it.  It flowered for the first time last year, and just put out a small crop of seeds.  It’s fruiting again, and I’m wondering it I will get a more mature flowering to refer to.  The leaves are big...  I think that the roof line is about 8 feet tall, and I cut those leaves about 12” from the trunk.

Its wider than the Bizzy, but the fans may be smaller, which have both recently trunked.  Similar conditions.

FEC38626-C0CE-4C4B-9144-688A8CB910C1.thumb.jpeg.6e804d2ab4b93e176db2632ad8f58693.jpeg18FE4309-BC34-4030-80BE-1A81994C96C4.thumb.jpeg.fff86605bfaa528312f112b5721f353e.jpeg

69197B99-DFC5-4998-AE5B-1A0A8C20DDF2.thumb.jpeg.bef97cb2c0d35545447956e7787885b8.jpeg

Edited by The Steve

Definitely keep us posted i know ill be following updates on it :)

T J 

• 2 years later...

Question for all the Sabal lovers. My local landscape place has 12ft sabals for $425 that are not regenerated. It's going on mid September and I was wondering if y'all think its a good time of year to be planting one in Southern Louisiana zone 9. Is there enough warmth left in the season? Thanks!

• 1 year later...
On 5/15/2019 at 10:53 PM, Sabal Steve said:

That’s what I’ve heard, as well.  Honestly, I never did the research, to ID it.  It flowered for the first time last year, and just put out a small crop of seeds.  It’s fruiting again, and I’m wondering it I will get a more mature flowering to refer to.  The leaves are big...  I think that the roof line is about 8 feet tall, and I cut those leaves about 12” from the trunk.

Its wider than the Bizzy, but the fans may be smaller, which have both recently trunked.  Similar conditions.

FEC38626-C0CE-4C4B-9144-688A8CB910C1.thumb.jpeg.6e804d2ab4b93e176db2632ad8f58693.jpeg18FE4309-BC34-4030-80BE-1A81994C96C4.thumb.jpeg.fff86605bfaa528312f112b5721f353e.jpeg

Updated Monty shot? Looks great whatever it is !

Grows like a causiarum, but doesn't look like one. This is very impressive. S. uresana can also be quiet fast, doesn't look like one either.

Yes it's me Hortulanus 😂

I think this may be something from the S. Mexicana “complex”.  Not too sure.  I bought it as a Sabal from a nursery n Riverside, and planted it almost 10 years ago.  It wasn’t quit trunking, and was probably about 10’ tall, at that point.  There are no lingules, or at least, no pronounced ones.

I moved a little while back, but will snap a pic when I return.  It’s in the back yard, and there are renters living there, now.

• Like 1