Sign in to follow this  
Funkthulhu

If you're cold, they're cold, bring them inside...

Funkthulhu

Lots of rain last week, saw there was a potential for frost this week, so I spent Sunday afternoon bringing them in.  Washed pots and saucers, drained them all from being waterlogged all week, and topped up on soil for a couple.  Every year I tell myself there is no more room, and every year I end up with a couple more pots... 

Library (only west-facing window)

HeEKuOT.jpg

Bedroom (north facing) 

1C1gXKW.jpg

Living room (north facing) 

rHz9GbA.jpg

Was quite blustery last night, had some brief sleet and more rain, so I guess I made the right choice.  Just looked at the weather again and we have a full on Freeze Warning tonight!  (Guess I better go over to my friend's house and dig up my Musa basjoo while I still can...)

Edited by Funkthulhu
  • Upvote 9

PalmatierMeg

Always room for more palms, esp. in winter (Oct. 10 ?!). Stay warm and keep the humidifier running.

• Upvote 2

TexasColdHardyPalms

Sleet and snow in October doesn't sound good...  Some friends in Colorado received 3" of snow about 70 miles east of the mountains last night.

• Upvote 1

cm05

I always dread having to bring everything (well, almost everything) indoors, I don’t even want to think about it. Although I must admit, it’s nice to be surrounded by the warm tropics indoors when it’s cold outside.

Luckily for me it’s still warm, almost summer-like, here. But it won’t last forever, unfortunately.

Funkthulhu
19 hours ago, PalmatierMeg said:

Always room for more palms, esp. in winter (Oct. 10 ?!). Stay warm and keep the humidifier running.

Well, technically it's autumn, but nothing I grow can be outside here from about mid-Oct to at least late March to Mid-April...

Kai
20 hours ago, Funkthulhu said:

Lots of rain last week, saw there was a potential for frost this week, so I spent Sunday afternoon bringing them in.  Washed pots and saucers, drained them all from being waterlogged all week, and topped up on soil for a couple.  Every year I tell myself there is no more room, and every year I end up with a couple more pots... 

HeEKuOT.jpg

Bedroom (north facing) 

1C1gXKW.jpg

rHz9GbA.jpg

Was quite blustery last night, had some brief sleet and more rain, so I guess I made the right choice.  Just looked at the weather again and we have a full on Freeze Warning tonight!  (Guess I better go over to my friend's house and dig up my Musa basjoo while I still can...)

This is what my house looks like in wintertime! I'm not really sure about your climate but in Amsterdam I've never dug up my Musa basjoos... These things are tough, just cut off all leafs and protect the stems from freezing. As soon as spring comes they will just explode with new foliage again.

• Upvote 1

Funkthulhu
1 hour ago, Kai said:

This is what my house looks like in wintertime! I'm not really sure about your climate but in Amsterdam I've never dug up my Musa basjoos... These things are tough, just cut off all leafs and protect the stems from freezing. As soon as spring comes they will just explode with new foliage again.

Hasn't happened lately, but we do get temps down into the negative 10-20 C, windchill as low as -40C. The ground is as hard a concrete down to the frost line, which can be up to a meter down or more depending on year and location.  It can be done, but I don't feel like building a compost pile over the culms... 

Kai
33 minutes ago, Funkthulhu said:

Hasn't happened lately, but we do get temps down into the negative 10-20 C, windchill as low as -40C. The ground is as hard a concrete down to the frost line, which can be up to a meter down or more depending on year and location.  It can be done, but I don't feel like building a compost pile over the culms... 

Ouch! Ok I understand, that's very cold.

Funkthulhu

According to today's 10-day forecast, we'll have highs in the 70's and lows in the 50's again next week.  I've often had stuff outside off and on until mid November.  But when I saw the freeze warning on the radar I just decided to do it once and not do the in-and-out of years past.  It won't get consistently dead-palm cold until December, and we won't get the ridic temps until Jan-Feb, but it's easier to just do it once instead of constantly watching the weather to see if you need to act before the sun goes down.

Edited by Funkthulhu
  • Upvote 1

Missi

Oh man, I always love your photos! Well done! 

sashaeffer
On 10/10/2017, 2:59:46, Funkthulhu said:

HeEKuOT.jpg

Bedroom (north facing) 

1C1gXKW.jpg

rHz9GbA.jpg

Still holding off here in Omaha, although I have condensed a lot of the smaller more tender ones outside. Going to milk this nice fall weather as long as I can.

• Upvote 2

DoomsDave
On 10/10/2017, 12:59:46, Funkthulhu said:

HeEKuOT.jpg

Bedroom (north facing) 

1C1gXKW.jpg

rHz9GbA.jpg

WHOA

YOU

ARE

NUTTY

That's an accolade! Who needs those "adorable" pain in the ass coitans' over your windows when you have palms!

:greenthumb::greenthumb::greenthumb::drool:

Hammer

Have you been up to Scott's place in Blair?  Check it out.  He's got some hardy stuff in the ground too.  Protected of course.

Maybe you guys could go in on a greenhouse together.   Put it halfway between you...perhaps Wahoo?  :yay:

• Upvote 2

cm05

Looks like it’s my turn....it’s supposed to drop into the mid/upper 20’s Friday night.

Our lowest temperature so far has been 42 degrees, which just happened today/overnight. 20’s are going to be a shock, I wasn’t expecting a freeze so soon, this is earlier than normal which is late November.

I haven’t started the potted plant migration yet, nor have I started the in-ground plant migration.

Funkthulhu

I have a couple Red/Blue LED rigs in my cart, waiting for a paycheck to make some of these guys a little more happy over the winter months.  Also, annoy my window-facing neighbors...

GTClover

Hi All, I haven't posted for quite a while, but this topic got me going & I hoping this will change.  Moving my palms into the house here in VT is always a big deal!  The last to come in is my R. hystrix.

Palm#3.jpg

Palm#4.jpg

Palm#5.jpg

• Upvote 1

Palmsbro
On 11/19/2017, 9:19:39, GTClover said:

Hi All, I haven't posted for quite a while, but this topic got me going & I hoping this will change.  Moving my palms into the house here in VT is always a big deal!  The last to come in is my R. hystrix.

Palm#3.jpg

Palm#4.jpg

Palm#5.jpg

Nice Rhapidophylum hystrix.

On 10/11/2017, 2:47:45, Funkthulhu said:

I have never seen wind chill temperatures that low even when I lived in Michigan. The lowest temperature I had ever seen in Michigan was -22 C without wind chill, though the wind was low speed.

Your weather is extreme, though the USDA hardiness zone maps suggest that Northern MN and AK are far colder than MI or NE.

Funkthulhu

When I was working out of doors our safety officer would call off work if the windchill was negative 40.  This happened several times.  Not every year, but often more than once in any given year.  The wind is a bastard...

• Upvote 1

Funkthulhu

It's that time of Year again....

bqxgamC.jpg

4U8oRh5.jpg

2yx07Dm.jpg

I think I should just buy a house...

Edited by Funkthulhu
  • Upvote 2

PalmatierMeg

A house with large insulated windows, perhaps a conservatory. Then you can get more palms.

• Upvote 1

GottmitAlex
7 hours ago, Funkthulhu said:

bqxgamC.jpg

4U8oRh5.jpg

2yx07Dm.jpg

It's a tough one. This morning listening to the news over the airwaves, I heard Nebraska's new slogan.. from "Nebraska, nice" to "Honestly, it's not for everyone".  I would add: "palms included."  You're doing a splendid job though. 

GottmitAlex
1 hour ago, PalmatierMeg said:

A house with large insulated windows, perhaps a conservatory. Then you can get more palms.

Possibly an underground greenhaus

Missi
On 10/19/2018, 12:30:59, Funkthulhu said:

:o What do you do if you get a mite or mealybug outbreak in winter?!

Funkthulhu
18 minutes ago, Missi said:

:o What do you do if you get a mite or mealybug outbreak in winter?!

Mostly just hope I don't?  I can spray neem oil or similar if I lock the cats in another room until it dries.

• Upvote 1

realarch
On 10/19/2018, 6:30:59, Funkthulhu said:

bqxgamC.jpg

4U8oRh5.jpg

2yx07Dm.jpg

Erick,the first photo looks like a painting!

I think you need to buy a second home in Hilo!

Tim

Funkthulhu

It gets ridiculous in here in Winter. If I could have the same cost of living in Hilo I'd be on a plane tomorrow...

• Upvote 1

piping plovers

A beautiful collection of houseplants.  On cold winter days it must be a lush refuge to come home to.

Funkthulhu
14 hours ago, piping plovers said:

A beautiful collection of houseplants.  On cold winter days it must be a lush refuge to come home to.

Absolutely.  Couple of tiny Jungle Cats and a nice Mai Tai don't hurt either!

Funkthulhu

So. . . I had to add 7 med-large pots last night.  I and a few more yet to come.  My work allows me to have plants at my "desk", which turned into 11 pots in my cube.  That includes your "normal" pothos and some sub-tropicals, but also 6 species of Palm (Including a 5 foot tall Veitchia and a 5 foot wide Cat palm).  Long story short, we might be moving offices to "temporary" space while our new building is built.  Was told my plants would probably not be allowed in the temp space, and our winter is already starting to get spun up.  Next week looks bleak and yesterday's high was in the 50s, so I took the opportunity to move my smaller forest to my bigger forest.  

I now can't walk through one room and can't hardly see out the windows in two others...  

This is actually too much plant.  I'm glad I finally saw what it looked like.  I now know what my limits are. . . I think I'll have to decide which ones are worth the effort and cull some of this container ranch come spring.

Laaz

Well then...

58a.jpg

• Upvote 5