sgvcns

Vietnam seeds super fresh

sgvcns

Hi all

I am still in Hanoi for the next few days but thought I would gauge interest.

I have a small number of the following that I am willing to trade for seeds of understorey small palms of a similar Ilk.

I would not think there is any species seeding in California that would be of interest but happy to be proven wrong.

I am not interested in RPS seed that has not sprouted yet as I want as  fresh as these are.

Lanonia magalonii,calciphila and centralis

Pinanga declinata and annamensis(would have to be good for this)

Licuala glaberrima

Caryota monostachya

Happy to swap for seedlings if Aussie shipping

Thanks for looking but I have zero interest in selling these at the moment.

I also have Areca triandra seed which I would be more flexible about a swap as it's not in the league of the rest

Cheers

Steve

• Upvote 1

sgvcns

Sorry forgot to say PM me with any offers. I will try to respond quickly

Steve

• Upvote 1

sgvcns

Done the final inventory and can add limited amount of Pinanga baviensis to the list

Cheers

Steve

• Upvote 1

sgvcns

Images

P annamensisP1000028.thumb.JPG.ba21ed34db2131eab79a8

L glaberrimaP1000037.thumb.JPG.1aa5646c7535b4a653829

Lan magaloniiP1000162.JPG.cdaee84ccd98fa1720ae2ac9b0c

Lan centralisP1000249.thumb.JPG.a10953baeb5c8b9a3b7b8

Lan calciphilaP1000407.thumb.JPG.df361a450340af4cd4dc8

Pin declinataP1000205.thumb.JPG.cb70d07756d3136036f47

Pin baviensisP1000387.thumb.JPG.f59c08f402294e075dda3

Car monostachyaP1000400.JPG.1333ac41b8f3791e517ea32a550

• Upvote 1

sgvcns

OK I am prepared to consider future palm seed for swap now from credible growers with palms I am interested in.

Cheers

Steve

• Upvote 1

sgvcns

These Vietnamese seed are super fast.

Pinanga annamensis and baviensis already sprouting. 

Lanonia won't be far behindP1000493.thumb.JPG.f52d541905c49df46f5efP1000494.thumb.JPG.b5a2ced8bfb081a6bd0e6

• Upvote 1

sgvcns

Up to 75% germination on most of these so do not suspect seed will be available after the end of the month

Cheers

Steve

• Upvote 1

sgvcns

Just had a look at the seeds and they're nearly all sprouted.

Will post some for sale that I could find non germinated for sale.

These are no longer for trade

Steve

• Upvote 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Matt in OC
      By Matt in OC
      Pickup only. First come, first served. Might be open to trades or offers. Thanks for looking!
      Buretiokentia koghiensis 15 gal.  $60
      C. mitis variegated 15 gal. $60
      C. alba 5 gal. $20
      Dypsis marojejyi 1 gal. $75
      D. rosea 1 gal. $20
      D. saintelucei dwarf 5 gal. $50
      P. blue moon 15 gal. $50

• PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      On one corner of my garden lot I have a clumping Caryota, i.e., fishtail palm, that has its tallest stem (15') producing seeds. I bought the palm as a clearance plant at a local BB store. All the label said was "fishtail." I planted in the corner to block the view of a nearby stoplight and part of a walled electrical substation to the southwest. Along with dwarf buddha belly bamboo on each side, this palm does its job admirably.
      Obviously it is not one of the monster Caryotas. Can anyone tell me what species it is? See photos below
      Caryota sp ???

• politoCABJ
      By politoCABJ
      As the total rookie that I am, I put a beautiful Pinanga caesia in the ground just days after picking it out of a shady spot in a nursery. It only gets about 2 hours of direct sun per day, but it happens to be scorching midday sun. After a few weeks it was pretty clear I was charring this guy to death, so I intervened by creating an artificial canopy made of 2-3 fronds that I stick into the ground next to it. The fronds are from a Dypsis lutescens hedge I have in a part of my shade garden, and those always have an abundance of leaves that need to be chopped.
      Anyway, after 3-4 weeks I think I'm ready to declare success! The charring stopped immediately (though of course some of the damage is done), and it recently threw out a nice little spike with a healthy new leaf. The sun pattern changes a bit once summer passes, so I'm hoping that if it continues to thrive through summer, next year it will be acclimatized enough to handle the rays without any help. 
      Palms saving palms

• Cindy Adair
      By Cindy Adair
      First I was busy (and still am) dealing with a move within PR and hurricane Maria and no utilities for a few months. Then concentrating on getting my old VA house sold and heading for the Biennial and then a couple of days after my return just slammed by the flu! Hence some of my reasons for so little time posting here. Never boring.
      Happily now I am down to just mostly good "distractions" like having fun on my 15 acres of gardens and jungle.
      Before I get back to predawn cutting shelf paper for the finally replaced water damaged kitchen cabinets, I will show you a few cameos from some plants in pots still awaiting their turn, as well as those finally in place - with some mostly tree fern canopy back.
      Then I will try to add more photos as I can.
      First here is Genoma cuneatum which I was very pleased to see in Colombia on the Biennial. It is hard to describe the very interesting feel of these corrugated leaves!

I do have a very similar Lemurophoenix in the ground now (that I grew from seed), but this one had the pretty new leaf.

Here is one of my favorite Pinangas sold to me as "Thai mottled" big enough by my standards to go into the ground when I find the best spot. I believe my old one (that struggled mightily with my move and then hurricane insults plus a lost label) has made it too in the ground, but not yet ready for a photo.
      Below is another always pretty palm Pholidostachys sold to me as just "sp." It survived transplantation and seems on its way.

I lost the label for this next beauty and sadly its twin did not make it. I think this is Genoma conduruensis grown from a tiny seedling.
      Please if you see errors in names or spelling I am quite appreciative of corrections!
      Also if you have photos of any of these please add them, thanks!

Last for now is Calyptrocalyx sp. Puah with its new bright red leaf settling in the ground.

• Tracy
      By Tracy
      The new flush on the Cycas thouarsii x cupida was a little longer that I expected, while the Caryota is holding almost all its fronds, including the one right over the Cycas.  I know everyone says "don't remove green" from palms.  I also know that the Cycas will appreciate more sun, and I can't even see the top sides of the leaflets on the Cycas now.  The Caryota has plenty of other leaves above, and is a vigorous grower.  It shows no signs that this frond or the one immediate below it (the two lowest its holding) will be turning brown and prepared to drop on their own, any time soon. 
      I also considered where to post this, and decided to favor the "tropical plants other than palms" page rather than the palm page, since the offense would be to the palm, and the protected plant is the non-palm.  So what would you do, follow the common wisdom of leaving everything on the palm, or not stress and remove the offending frond?  To trim... or not to trim?  That is my question.