IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

First Madagascar Photos

Gtlevine

Bismarck Nobilis.

DSC_0871.jpg

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

Wowza...those Glaucas !! Must plant more.

I see some photo contenders for the calendar this year  :;):

If global warming means I can grow Cocos Nucifera, then bring it on....

Oh wow, Oh geez

I just fell to my knees.

A million thank yous, these are by far the best pics from Madagascar seen on the board, seen anywhere probably.

I definitely want that Bizzie pic for my desktop.

I now have it, thanks.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Whoa. Even more awesome pics. The best Ravenea glauca pics I've ever seen. Who doesn't want to plant a 1000 D onilahensis after that last pic? Mt Vatovavy must have been awesome. Not many have got up there. Did you get any larger pics of D basilonga with more of it in one photo. POM only has a drawing and it's meant to be similar to decipiens reportedly. I've wanted to get this one because of it's mountain origins. Was it cool temp wise up Mt Vatovavy? Could you tell much difference from the lowlands in temp etc? Just wondering.

Keep the pics coming and thanks for the wonderful reports back.

best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Well,

Do you think I should just forget about the Photo of the Year Contest and award the winning prize right now?  :)

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.

(IPSPTModerator @ May 18 2007,20:51)

Well,

Do you think I should just forget about the Photo of the Year Contest and award the winning prize right now?  :)

I don't think he's done yet...told me when he was over here this week that he had 1,500 pics. Even if he has 150, there's probably enough fodder for his own calendar.

(IPSPTModerator @ May 18 2007,20:51)

Well,

Oh yes :D

An award for the onilahensis and another award for the glaucas.  

Almost fell outa my chair looking at those beauties.  Want 50 more of them, that's for sure.

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

Gary,

That landscape with the Bismarckias is absolutely incredible!! But why so serious in the Ravenea shot (which is great, BTW)?? :D

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

(bgl @ May 18 2007,21:53)

Gary,

That landscape with the Bismarckias is absolutely incredible!! But why so serious in the Ravenea shot (which is great, BTW)?? :D

Bo-Göran

Believe it or not, I did not get sick at all while in Madagascar, but I brought with me a nasty bacterial infection I obtained from my son, so I looked like hell in most of my photos for the first two weeks.

Gary

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

Here is the nicest Ravenea Rivularis colony on the island.

DSC_1025.jpg

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

Gary, What an epic journey of a lifetime. Those pics are priceless! I especially like the "black stem", white stem, Decipiens and those R. Glaucas...wow :o ! I have 5 planted already and I must plant more. Did you see any D. Bejofos or mad foxtails while you were there? Also was curious why with so many of the weeping form of onily in habitat it is so hard to find at local nurseries  ??? . Thanks for posting the pics Gary and can't wait to see more! Steve

Urban Rainforest Palms,Cycads and Exotics. Were in San Diego Ca. about 5 miles from the beach on Tecolote canyon. It seems to be an ideal growing climate with moderate temps. and very little frost. Vacation Rental in Leilani Estates, big island Hi PM me if interested in staying there.

Is that Pandanus in with the Rivularis???

Here is a non palm pic of the Palm Gang in Romanafana. Peter Bolasky, Bill Beattie and myself. Of course Bill and Petes tremendous guides.

DSC_0839.jpg

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

My favorite insect, the Giraffe Weevle.

DSC_0647.jpg

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

Back to palms, by request I am posting a close up of the trunk and crownshaft of Dypsis Ifanadiana.

DSC_0670.jpg

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

OMG, Gary, stunningly awesome!!

Wendi

"I am the Lorax, I speak for the trees!"-Dr. Seuss :P

north central east coast of Florida

halfway between Daytona and St. Augustine

15 mi inland

(Wal @ May 18 2007,17:20)

Oh wow, Oh geez

I just fell to my knees.

A million thank yous, these are by far the best pics from Madagascar seen on the board, seen anywhere probably.

I definitely want that Bizzie pic for my desktop.

I now have it, thanks.

Wal,

I just did the same thing....

GARY, MY EYES ARE HAVING PALM ECSTASY.  :D

Edited to save our Moderator extra greyhair.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Gary,

Some truly stunning photos! Did you happen to see and get a picture of what is being sold as dypsis betafaka? I have only seen one pic of a more mature plant that is on JD Andersons website.  

Nick

Encinitas on a hill 1.5 miles from the ocean.

DYPSIS "BLACK STEM", DYPSIS ONILAHENSIS, RAVANEA GLAUCA! WOW!

Mike Hegger

Northwest Clairemont

San Diego, California

4 miles from coast

i am running out of adjectives!i've used amazing,awesome,someone else just used stunning,theres priceless,epic,it goes on & on!by the time you finish posting these we will be helpless blobs of protoplasm!

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

I've sometimes wondered whether our efforts to preach preservation in distant lands are just examples of "the grass is always greener" mentality.  Americans in particular tend to think that far away places are much more worth preservation than our own homeland, which seems to us boring just because of it's familiarity.

Well, I still think this is mostly true, but there is absolutely no denying that that there truly is something special about Madagascar.  That Bismarkia photo is insane.  It's like a window into another world.  

Matt

San Diego

0.6 Acres of a south facing, gently sloped dirt pile, soon to be impenetrable jungle

East of Mount Soledad, in the biggest cold sink in San Diego County.

Zone 10a (I hope), Sunset 24

yeah,that pic with the bismarkia was my favorite,too!

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

I don't even know where to begin, the Bizzies are astounding along with the R glauca's, majesties, and onihilensis.  Once again thanks Gary

Don_L    Rancho CUCAMONGA (yes it does exist) 40 min due east of Los Angeles

USDA Zone 10a

July Averages: Hi 95F, Low 62F

Jan Averages: Hi 68F, Low 45F

I just about FELL OUT OF MY CHAIR when i saw the bizmarkia photo!

Gary...it looks like you took a still out of a million dollar Imax movie and posted it!!!!

UNBELIEVABLE PHOTOS!

keep 'em coming please....also...what kind of camera were you using?

WOW! Great photos. That Bismarckia landscape photo is mind-numbing!

Please post all of the other photos you took in Madagascar... :o

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

All's beautiful. Loved that rock/palm in post 41 - realy rocks !

Ronnie

I can hear the cry

of the leaf on a tree,

as it falls to the ground

I can hear the call

of an echoing voice,

and there's no one around

ISRAELWAVEDFLAG.gif

Hod-Hasharon, ISRAEL

ArR

More more more

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Eye candy, all the way...

I'm curious about your camera too, Gary, congratulations for these unforgettable images.

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

For those of you that asked, I use a Nikon D50 SLR.  I will get more photos up soon including the Betafaka, but I will be out of the house today.

Gary

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

Gary, really great photos.  This board is truly amazing.  From Amazonia to Madagascar, the Caribbean to South Africa, Australia to the Americas we truly represent the International in the IPS.  Gary while in Madagascar you whetted our appetites, dropped a teaser or two, and now the bomb.  We all appreciate the photos.  Show us palms and whatever else, I know I'm interested.  Thanks for that Bismarckia habitat scene.  Special, special, special.  I'm inspired!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Trinidad!  Southernmost island in the Caribbean.

So many plants, So little space.

Awesome photos from an awesome trip. That Bismarckia habitat photo is unreal.

Cincinnati, Ohio USA & Mindo, Ecuador

Fantastic pics! Show me more if you have more :)

Robbin

Southwest

Well, I know where I'm buying a summer house when I'm older!!!!

It'll go something like this:

"Sorry guys, I can't make the Vegas trip this year because I'll be in Ambositrae all summer!!!"  :D

WOW unbelievable stuff.  Keep it coming.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Gary the best photos I have ever  seen of Mad palms---you done her proud. I hope that  they will inspire palm lovers everywhere to participate in the preservation of Madagascars palms and its biodiversity. Madagascar needs all the help it can get in order to not become another environmental failure.

pete balasky

Gary,

I have to agree these are some of the best photo's of the Madagascan landscape that I have seen.

Last week or so there was a program on nightline in Madagascar. Anyone else see it? The focus was on gemstones. I can't remember what the stone was but it was interesting seeing what is going on. A lot of area is being chopped up by mining.

Jerry

Jerry D. Andersen

JD Andersen Nursery

Fallbrook, CA / Leilani Estates, HI