IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

On 5/9/2022 at 2:23 PM, jons0027 said:

wow! @SEVA is this also at First Landing SP?

Yes, if memory serves that photo was taken near the end of Cape Henry Trail on the 64th St side of the park.

USDA Hardiness Zone 7b/8a

AHS Heat Zone 7

I should try it here in western piedmont of NC . If it grows in DC I should be able to grow it especially to the left of my driveway on my neighbors property . Of course I would make sure he wanted it . There are 2 Crepe Myrtles right there on the left of my driveway that would be perfect for some moss .

Will

• Like 2

I have a house with some acreage along a saltwater marsh in eastern Isle of Wight County, VA.  Virginia native Spanish moss survives, but doesn't exactly thrive within 100 feet of wet marsh.  I think the colder the winter gets, the more humid the summer needs to be for the Spanish moss to survive.  Meanwhile in Georgia and SC, Spanish moss survives in much drier locales, but often along waterways, for what it's worth.

Perhaps ball moss would be better for places with daytime relative humidity below 55% in the summer.

God bless America...

and everywhere else too.

22 hours ago, VA Jeff said:

I have a house with some acreage along a saltwater marsh in eastern Isle of Wight County, VA.  Virginia native Spanish moss survives, but doesn't exactly thrive within 100 feet of wet marsh.  I think the colder the winter gets, the more humid the summer needs to be for the Spanish moss to survive.  Meanwhile in Georgia and SC, Spanish moss survives in much drier locales, but often along waterways, for what it's worth.

Perhaps ball moss would be better for places with daytime relative humidity below 55% in the summer.

Ball Moss will certainly take lower humidity..  Can be found growing within view of Saguaro in some spots in the mountains just south of Tucson/ close to the U.S/ Mex. border, and on Cacti / various Pachycaul - type trees on the Baja peninsula.  A couple other, somewhat harder to obtain Tillandsia from Sonora are supposed to tolerate lower humidity and scorching heat as well. Look better where humidity is a bit higher though.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Ball Moss will certainly take lower humidity..  Can be found growing within view of Saguaro in some spots in the mountains just south of Tucson/ close to the U.S/ Mex. border, and on Cacti / various Pachycaul - type trees on the Baja peninsula.  A couple other, somewhat harder to obtain Tillandsia from Sonora are supposed to tolerate lower humidity and scorching heat as well. Look better where humidity is a bit higher though.

I've seen ball moss in St. Marys coastal Georgia.  Very humid.  Might be different ecotypes handling humidity differently.  I have yet to see it in Savannah 2 hours north of St. Marys.

• Upvote 1

God bless America...

and everywhere else too.

11 hours ago, VA Jeff said:

I've seen ball moss in St. Marys coastal Georgia.  Very humid.  Might be different ecotypes handling humidity differently.  I have yet to see it in Savannah 2 hours north of St. Marys.

No doubt eco type could influence things like heat / cold, and/or tolerance to high ..or very low humidity when grown outside that specific area.. 

While not always the case of course, can look at trees and various other things to see that plants started from seed in more southern areas of X plant's range might be less tolerant to cold the further north they are grown. No doubt that idea could apply to needing / tolerating more - or less - moisture.

As far as occurring in/ near Savannah, appears there are several observations of it made on iNat. from that area..   https://www.inaturalist.org/taxa/84002-Tillandsia-recurvata

Not being familiar w/ the region,  no way for me to confirm 100% authenticity of the observations..

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 5/26/2022 at 11:52 AM, Silas_Sancona said:

No doubt eco type could influence things like heat / cold, and/or tolerance to high ..or very low humidity when grown outside that specific area.. 

While not always the case of course, can look at trees and various other things to see that plants started from seed in more southern areas of X plant's range might be less tolerant to cold the further north they are grown. No doubt that idea could apply to needing / tolerating more - or less - moisture.

As far as occurring in/ near Savannah, appears there are several observations of it made on iNat. from that area..   https://www.inaturalist.org/taxa/84002-Tillandsia-recurvata

Not being familiar w/ the region,  no way for me to confirm 100% authenticity of the observations..

I've only been in Savannah less than 3 months, but that website does seem to correlate with my limited observations.  I saw ball moss plentiful in Texas, moreso than anywhere in Georgia or Florida.  Seems to make like warm winters and possibly doesn't need as much humidity as Spanish moss.

On another note, Spanish moss was once native to Southeastern Maryland, according to historical accounts on the Pocomoke River.  Its northernmost native limit is probably now the southern tip of the Delmarva Peninsula in Accomack County, VA.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

God bless America...

and everywhere else too.

4 minutes ago, VA Jeff said:

I've only been in Savannah less than 3 months, but that website does seem to correlate with my limited observations.  I saw ball moss plentiful in Texas, moreso than anywhere in Georgia or Florida.  Seems to make like warm winters and possibly doesn't need as much humidity as Spanish moss.

On another note, Spanish moss was once native to Southeastern Maryland, according to historical accounts on the Pocomoke River.  Its northernmost native limit is probably now the southern tip of the Delmarva Peninsula in Accomack County, VA.  

Noticed that as well when visiting / passing thru Texas.. Ball Moss was everywhere.. Plentiful, but, as you mention, not quite as - all over the place - in FL. Then again there, you could find half a dozen other Tillandsia sp. growing in trees, or on chain link fences / overhead wires. 

Had ..possibly Ball Moss..  seedlings germinating and establishing themselves on some of my potted Bursera before i moved.. Tempted to try some again here, plus the two other Tillandsia sp.  that grow a couple hundred miles to my south and apparently can tolerate our heat/ sun/ low humidity.  Handful of other sp. from Sonora and Sinaloa might also survive, if tucked in shade over a lawn area.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I found some ball moss outside my workplace in Savannah, so it at least grows as far north as that.  

• Like 2

God bless America...

and everywhere else too.

On 5/24/2022 at 11:25 PM, VA Jeff said:

Could it be the lighting/placement? When I moved and placed Tillandsia usneoides in new locations the native specimens did mostly fine in various lighting, but some had some browning in more sun. Those have since continued to grow and the new growth appears fine after adjusting. The specimens in deep shade don’t seem to grow as fast. Most are actually blooming right now. Other forms seem to be more sensitive. The fine/thin form burned pretty bad in high light. The sunny side burned, while the opposite side remained green. The thick form burned in higher lighting and isn’t as cold hardy in my experience. The thick form shriveled up and died in deep shade. 

Also, I left a Tillandsia setacea outside this past winter and it survived (15°F). The remaining were brought inside on colder nights (except were left out by accident on a night of 23°F). Two of those are about to bloom. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

AHS Heat Zone 7

You might have noticed some clues for how to grow it, but I haven't paid attention to what worked best.  I could gather a trash bag full next week in Georgia and bring it back to VA to try in greater quantity.  It's ironic how Spanish moss and palmettoes look so boring in Savannah, but are centerpieces in other locales.  Perhaps if I lived in Hawaii, I'd be bored of coconut trees?

• Like 1

God bless America...

and everywhere else too.

On 5/20/2022 at 11:36 AM, Will Simpson said:

I should try it here in western piedmont of NC . If it grows in DC I should be able to grow it especially to the left of my driveway on my neighbors property . Of course I would make sure he wanted it . There are 2 Crepe Myrtles right there on the left of my driveway that would be perfect for some moss .

Will

I've collected a bunch from Washington NC and hung it in my trees here in Raleigh. I can't say I've noticed it expanding at all but it looks good and flowers every year. 

• Like 1

I’m a bit late to this but the spanish moss growing in more extreme conditions will be adapted to those conditions. Such as hardiness, drought toleration, heat toleration, air dryness toleration, and so on. If you get some Spanish moss from Florida and bring it back to a climate that is similar as far as temperature zone it still may not live because the air could be drier. Spanish moss needs humidity to stay healthy which is why they exist in mainly coastal areas or areas with large bodies of water. So while your temperature zone may be similar to the climate you are collecting moss the humidity may not be similar. Which can effect the growth. If your just trying to cultivate Spanish moss you can just set a dish of water under it or something like that to increase humidity but if your trying to naturalize it on a tree in your yard you will have to find some growing in conditions identical to yours. And while it may be more complicated for this specific plant remember a plant will always be more adapted to your climate when you grow it from seed. Not to say it still can’t die but it will adapt better than moss grown in different climates. 

But on the topic of growing it in NC I also live in NC and where I am near Charlotte it grows wildly throughout my neighborhood. Which connects to a nature preserve where I suspect it originated from before spreading to the neighborhood. It grows well here and there is some growing in my yard but it seems to only grow in pockets here in NC. I’ve seen it in Wilmington, Nags head, Manteo, and all throughout the outer banks. I have also seen it in some places in the piedmont on the SC line where I’m guessing it creeped up from SC. The most extreme environment I have seen it in is growing in Hatteras NC. I’ve seen it growing surprisingly close to the ocean and surprisingly close to the Pamlico sound. Actually literally on the Pamlico sound. I’ve seen it growing in trees hanging above the salty water of the sound and in islands on the sound. Both habitats are surprising considering how much salt spray is in the area and how often flooding occurs. But still growing in pockets around. There are some trees that are draped but only in certain parts of the island. You can find small strands randomly though. 

• Like 1

Spanish moss is native here in Augusta, this is the northern limit in Georgia, here's some pics of it

20210513_120232.jpg.3d735b4d51597c03f9b106e8aceccb59.jpg

20210513_120331.jpg.9acc4ff8248000bc51e5c08b40065d83.jpg

20210513_120605.jpg.cf32899b4dcd792e102c0993e77f926d.jpg

20210513_121449.jpg.01cd63e975bb1a535897ee137a8a8de4.jpg

20210513_121523.jpg.3be9b60268549c4e329b14cd1339967b.jpg

Spanish moss with native laurel live oak

20210513_120957.jpg.9bfbb33c13bb5413b5e715744d9dae23.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/19/2022 at 2:25 PM, Palmy Pal said:

But on the topic of growing it in NC I also live in NC and where I am near Charlotte it grows wildly throughout my neighborhood. Which connects to a nature preserve where I suspect it originated from before spreading to the neighborhood. It grows well here and there is some growing in my yard but it seems to only grow in pockets here in NC. I’ve seen it in Wilmington, Nags head, Manteo, and all throughout the outer banks. I have also seen it in some places in the piedmont on the SC line where I’m guessing it creeped up from SC. The most extreme environment I have seen it in is growing in Hatteras NC. I’ve seen it growing surprisingly close to the ocean and surprisingly close to the Pamlico sound. Actually literally on the Pamlico sound. I’ve seen it growing in trees hanging above the salty water of the sound and in islands on the sound. Both habitats are surprising considering how much salt spray is in the area and how often flooding occurs. But still growing in pockets around. There are some trees that are draped but only in certain parts of the island. You can find small strands randomly though. 

Its found as far inland as Wendell, which is just east of Raleigh. I collected my spanish moss from Washington NC. I put it in my trees three years ago and its done well. I can't tell if its actually spreading but it's flowered all three years. 

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Saw some Tillandsia recurvata in Wilmington, NC recently. This is the farthest north I’ve seen ball moss.

BD493004-FA4D-4BC0-B3CD-F6F064998EF4.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

AHS Heat Zone 7

I’ve posted these in another thread focusing on live oaks, but I figured it fits here as well. More from Virginia Beach.

148B29E3-97F9-4242-A5F9-C362F42163DF.jpeg

363C9884-4404-47C8-8A7D-6E77A6320D83.jpeg

8B146D3C-8DA7-4342-AFF9-12EB37E4702D.jpeg

2D9BA576-1C24-4946-89B5-E594FC75C520.jpeg

• Like 2

AHS Heat Zone 7

• 5 weeks later...
On 9/30/2017 at 5:07 PM, PalmTreeDude said:

Anyone have any pictures of Spanish Moss at its northern limits In North Carolina and Virginia? Maybe even parts of Arkansas. I used to have loads of pictures from First Landing State Part but my phone with the pictures broke before I could back them up. I also saw some near the Great Dismal Swamp in Virginia, but only a few clumps. Here is the Virginia Spanish Moss native range. 

SmartSelectImage_2017-09-28-19-17-20.png

What is this map you attached? Is there really evidence to prove that Spanish Moss is on the Delmarva Peninsula? The Northernmost range of Spanish Moss is Friendly Forest Pet & Pedestrian Trail in Newport News on the Calidiora Peninsula and 2nd place is First Landing State Park in Virginia Beach on Cape Henry and 3rd place is near Pungo, Virginia on the Back Bay.

On 2/21/2023 at 6:07 PM, PalmettoSeeker said:

What is this map you attached? Is there really evidence to prove that Spanish Moss is on the Delmarva Peninsula? The Northernmost range of Spanish Moss is Friendly Forest Pet & Pedestrian Trail in Newport News on the Calidiora Peninsula and 2nd place is First Landing State Park in Virginia Beach on Cape Henry and 3rd place is near Pungo, Virginia on the Back Bay.

The map looks similar to one I’ve seen on USDA website:https://plants.usda.gov/home/plantProfile?symbol=TIUS.  I can see county level once I zoom in. I’ve read articles of Tillandsia usneoides on Virginia’s Eastern Shore in Eastville. I’ve seen it in Hampton, but not Newport News. I’ll have to try and check out the Newport News Tillandsia usneoides.  I’ve seen it in numerous places in Virginia Beach and a few in Chesapeake, Suffolk, and Norfolk. 

• Like 1

AHS Heat Zone 7

On 2/21/2023 at 6:07 PM, PalmettoSeeker said:

That is the map on the USDA plant database. There is a small population on the very southern end of the peninsula, near Eastville (like the previous comment says). 

https://plants.usda.gov/home/plantProfile?symbol=TIUS

https://richmond.com/news/virginia/virginia-scientists-search-for-northernmost-realm-of-spanish-moss/article_4e584659-2f01-5b80-b6d2-dff5092305e1.html

Edited by PalmTreeDude

PalmTreeDude

1 hour ago, PalmTreeDude said:

That is the map on the USDA plant database. There is a small population on the very southern end of the peninsula, near Eastville (like the previous comment says). 

https://plants.usda.gov/home/plantProfile?symbol=TIUS

https://richmond.com/news/virginia/virginia-scientists-search-for-northernmost-realm-of-spanish-moss/article_4e584659-2f01-5b80-b6d2-dff5092305e1.html

Wow! That is amazing. Someone should post that here.

18 hours ago, SEVA said:

The map looks similar to one I’ve seen on USDA website:https://plants.usda.gov/home/plantProfile?symbol=TIUS.  I can see county level once I zoom in. I’ve read articles of Tillandsia usneoides on Virginia’s Eastern Shore in Eastville. I’ve seen it in Hampton, but not Newport News. I’ll have to try and check out the Newport News Tillandsia usneoides.  I’ve seen it in numerous places in Virginia Beach and a few in Chesapeake, Suffolk, and Norfolk. 

Wow! Definitely if anyone knows of Spanish moss farther North or inland from Dismal Swamp and VB, I would love to see.

On 2/24/2023 at 2:19 PM, PalmettoSeeker said:

Wow! Definitely if anyone knows of Spanish moss farther North or inland from Dismal Swamp and VB, I would love to see.

The first photo is in Hampton. Second photo is in Norfolk. Earlier in this thread, I posted photos of cultivated Spanish moss in Washington, DC.

E1D29EE1-86DA-47BF-B7D0-99F7172473A2.thumb.jpeg.ec8d29aff9ce0922455cf091a8de38a5.jpeg

8772E9D2-0A52-40BC-8C93-912C68E7101E.thumb.jpeg.14115aa13af2620fb3b418b54a698f02.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

AHS Heat Zone 7

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/25/2023 at 6:17 PM, SEVA said:

The first photo is in Hampton. Second photo is in Norfolk. Earlier in this thread, I posted photos of cultivated Spanish moss in Washington, DC.

E1D29EE1-86DA-47BF-B7D0-99F7172473A2.thumb.jpeg.ec8d29aff9ce0922455cf091a8de38a5.jpeg

8772E9D2-0A52-40BC-8C93-912C68E7101E.thumb.jpeg.14115aa13af2620fb3b418b54a698f02.jpeg

Wow! Where in Hampton might that be?

I hate to rain on the parade, but I doubt the Spanish Moss in DC is permanent or sustainable. I have never seen it down there and it being the National Mall, was probably placed there until the winter took it out.

I used to bring it back from our southern vacations when I was a kid and would place it in our dogwoods. Did great until November and was fried by January.  Now I have a cousin in SC send me a bag every spring. Same lifespan, although now I remove it and place in inside for the winter.

It is just a bit too cold for it to make it here.

• Upvote 1

On 3/8/2023 at 5:16 PM, PalmettoSeeker said:

Wow! Where in Hampton might that be?

Near Grand View Nature Preserve.

• Upvote 1

AHS Heat Zone 7

4 hours ago, Jack Lord said:

I hate to rain on the parade, but I doubt the Spanish Moss in DC is permanent or sustainable. I have never seen it down there and it being the National Mall, was probably placed there until the winter took it out.

I used to bring it back from our southern vacations when I was a kid and would place it in our dogwoods. Did great until November and was fried by January.  Now I have a cousin in SC send me a bag every spring. Same lifespan, although now I remove it and place in inside for the winter.

It is just a bit too cold for it to make it here.

From my understanding, the live oaks in DC are part of a study, so the Spanish moss might be as well. Time will tell how long term it is there. All I can say is I’ve seen it there each visit since December 2021. Haven’t seen it since early December 2022 though.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

AHS Heat Zone 7

11 hours ago, SEVA said:

From my understanding, the live oaks in DC are part of a study, so the Spanish moss might be as well. Time will tell how long term it is there. All I can say is I’ve seen it there each visit since December 2021. Haven’t seen it since early December 2022 though.

I don't doubt it. But January and February in DC is much too cold for Spanish Moss to survive.  I am staring at some dead strands outside my window right now and this was a mild winter.

Live Oaks apparently can survivie well above their natural range, so their presence is no surprise. The Smithsonian grows a lot of cool stuff around the Mall. The DOJ and Dept of Commerce buildings have some great Camillias for example. I think they probably allow the moss to die or bring it inside and reuse. Makes for a cool effect during warm months.

I wish we could grow it here.😞

• Upvote 1

On 3/11/2023 at 9:26 AM, Jack Lord said:

I don't doubt it. But January and February in DC is much too cold for Spanish Moss to survive.  I am staring at some dead strands outside my window right now and this was a mild winter.

Live Oaks apparently can survivie well above their natural range, so their presence is no surprise. The Smithsonian grows a lot of cool stuff around the Mall. The DOJ and Dept of Commerce buildings have some great Camillias for example. I think they probably allow the moss to die or bring it inside and reuse. Makes for a cool effect during warm months.

I wish we could grow it here.😞

It might be warmer than you think, given the urban heat island in D.C. I remember seeing bananas still untouched by freezing temperatures in D.C. just before the Arctic blast, while mine had already fried from freezing temperatures. Rural areas seem to get colder than urban areas. I was comparing a few weather stations near the live oaks/Spanish moss in D.C. and from what I saw the temperature was likely around 7°-8°F in December for a low. The two locations I have Spanish moss (with it being native to one location) saw temperatures of about 8°F and 10°F in December 2022. The Spanish moss in both locations is fine. Just to compare further, it looks like several stations reported about 12°-13°F near First Landing in Virginia Beach in December. There are other factors, of course, that can affect hardiness, including but not limited to, provenance of the plant, lighting, humidity, and duration of cold. I’ve seen Spanish moss burn after being placed in an area with higher light levels than it was previously. I’ve also seen it shrivel in lower light levels. 

One example: I’ve tried growing ball moss (T. recurvata) in the past of Florida provenance and couldn’t get it through a winter. However, I acquired some ball moss of Texas provenance over the summer, and it is completely untouched after this past winter. 

I’m interested to see how it looks though after this winter in D.C. I can’t say for certain if they remove it each winter, but that seems like quite a bit of work to remove it all each year and to be placed again after winter. I’ve seen it there the past 2 Decembers. I guess we’ll have to see if it spreads to nearby trees or even in the current trees; that should be a good indication of survival/suitable climate there.

• Upvote 2

AHS Heat Zone 7

2 hours ago, SEVA said:

It might be warmer than you think, given the urban heat island in D.C. I remember seeing bananas still untouched by freezing temperatures in D.C. just before the Arctic blast, while mine had already fried from freezing temperatures. Rural areas seem to get colder than urban areas. I was comparing a few weather stations near the live oaks/Spanish moss in D.C. and from what I saw the temperature was likely around 7°-8°F in December for a low. The two locations I have Spanish moss (with it being native to one location) saw temperatures of about 8°F and 10°F in December 2022. The Spanish moss in both locations is fine. Just to compare further, it looks like several stations reported about 12°-13°F near First Landing in Virginia Beach in December. There are other factors, of course, that can affect hardiness, including but not limited to, provenance of the plant, lighting, humidity, and duration of cold. I’ve seen Spanish moss burn after being placed in an area with higher light levels than it was previously. I’ve also seen it shrivel in lower light levels. 

One example: I’ve tried growing ball moss (T. recurvata) in the past of Florida provenance and couldn’t get it through a winter. However, I acquired some ball moss of Texas provenance over the summer, and it is completely untouched after this past winter. 

I’m interested to see how it looks though after this winter in D.C. I can’t say for certain if they remove it each winter, but that seems like quite a bit of work to remove it all each year and to be placed again after winter. I’ve seen it there the past 2 Decembers. I guess we’ll have to see if it spreads to nearby trees or even in the current trees; that should be a good indication of survival/suitable climate there.

Most of the Spanish Moss in Firs Landing State Park likely only saw temps if 15. The area near fort story is an 8b microclimate. So much warm salt water lakes that don't cool down because tides keep replenishing them with new warmer ocean waters. Just look at that area on satellite images. You'll see. 

10 minutes ago, PalmettoSeeker said:

Most of the Spanish Moss in Firs Landing State Park likely only saw temps if 15. The area near fort story is an 8b microclimate. So much warm salt water lakes that don't cool down because tides keep replenishing them with new warmer ocean waters. Just look at that area on satellite images. You'll see. 

The weather stations I referenced were right beside the park and right at the ocean front. While there might have been warmer pockets/microclimates, the area is still considered 8a. I’m very familiar with First Landing. I used to go there 5 days per week when I lived in VB. I’ve seen the pools/swamps within the park full of ice/slush while Broad Bay and Chesapeake Bay remain free of ice. I’ve never seen ice in the two bays, but definitely within the interior of the park. Both photos were taken the same day.

DB9D4259-CF63-4B91-91B0-4DB8F7F52EB4.jpeg

EA443E34-6A01-4B14-A455-4B187209ADC0.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

AHS Heat Zone 7

On 3/12/2023 at 12:23 PM, SEVA said:

I work near there and can assure you there is no permanent Spanish Moss. The Smithsonian has a decent budget and can afford to cart SP, bananas, etc in an out of the landscape. The Live Oaks were planted for the African American Museum, which has become the hot ticket for both residents and tourists. That's what they do. They make the Zoo entrances look like Hawaii during the warm months and then dig it all up and place in a greenhouse.

DC has a heat island, but it merely prolongs sensitive plants before the inevitable. The Masonic Lodge, not too far from those oaks, had two large Palmettos out front. Looked like they were going to make it and then the cold took them out. There are many similar stories of tragedy ...

You are lucky to be around Suffolk, which I pass through on the way to the Outer Banks. Fascinating place. 😎

• 1 month later...

Well, we've seen the cold limitations so far this thread ... but is there a warm limitation? Below is a scene from Rio de Janerio's botanical garden, deep into the tropics ... and still loads of the moss to be seen.
https://www.google.com/maps/@-22.9677828,-43.2240981,3a,75y,95.32h,98.05t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sUAMhk_3GhzDDwb-459pdfA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Edited by __nevii

4 hours ago, __nevii said:

Well, we've seen the cold limitations so far this thread ... but is there a warm limitation? Below is a scene from Rio de Janerio's botanical garden, deep into the tropics ... and still loads of the moss to be seen.
https://www.google.com/maps/@-22.9677828,-43.2240981,3a,75y,95.32h,98.05t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sUAMhk_3GhzDDwb-459pdfA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Using the current range map below, i'd say anywhere it is hot and dry ..most of the year  would be areas where it likely could not live, with the exception of say growing among trees on a natural or man made bank of a man made pond.

1085403114_Screenshot2023-04-21at23-40-29SpanishMoss(Tillandsiausneoides).thumb.png.30e411b8398fe909894f125b0b1d2c0b.png

**Magenta line:  Where it could establish itself ( Applying mainly to California, parts of the southern end of Baja Sur. ..Maybe among trees growing right on the coast / coastal estuaries in parts of Baja Norte, ..or river courses in the foothill regions of Sonora / Northern Sinaloa,  coastal areas south of Hermosillo where it is humid -most of the year, and generally frost free. ) 

**Areas between the Magenta and Orange line represent where isolated specimens might eek out a living in the right spot. ( Along major rivers / wetland areas in the Central Valley of CA. for example )

**Applying mainly west of Cen. TX **  ( ..Maybe cold keeps it out of areas north of Dallas?? Plenty Humid / hot in summer in OK, E. KS, MO,  etc.. ) Anywhere north of the Orange line, likely too dry ..and / or hot ( Here in AZ, S. Nevada, S. Cal Desert Areas.. most of Baja / Sonora, Mex. for example.   Probably too cold in winter / too dry -overall in both New Mexico, & W. TX.

** Range in S.W. / W. Mexico is probably limited to areas below the Plateau / higher elevations of the Sierra Madre Occidental ..At least until you get south of say Guadalajara. Wetter in Eastern MX. so it occurring in Monterrey would make more sense.

Far Nor Cal. coast / Pac. N.W. are questionable areas ..May be humid enough, but maybe not warm enough.

Just my thoughts on it..

• Like 2

@Silas_Sancona

Just curious, where exactly did you find that range map? It's interesting (although a bit gridded).

Hot and dry is no doubt a limiting factor for sure. I concur with the US and mainland Mexico map, but not really sure about the Baja and California sector as those areas do have ramalina menziesii that can be conflated with spanish moss. In particular, the southern Baja region looks sufficiently cool and humid enough to mitigate the worst of the desert dessication, while still retaining enough of the heat for tropicals to survive: I think it starts around La Paz because of mountain gaps that allow "Pacific Coolers" to blow through, then the areas southwards at Los Cabos has full ocean influence, along with errant tropical cyclones for periodic rains some years.

Nevertheless, the above posts around Virginia were quite a surprise, to see such moss survive such intense winter freezing and snow. So I was wondering about another aspect of the "warm limit" assuming that spanish moss was one of those plants that also requires chillier temps? This is because people have mentioned anecdotally that the stuff is very abundant in places like Georgia and the Carolinas, and down to Central Florida around Tampa, yet is quite absent around the Miami/SE Florida area. Additionally, when looking at South America, the stuff is again profuse in elevated Columbia areas like Santander/San Gil (i.e. ~3000ft), but there's nil reports in the equatorial Amazon rainforest ... although the presense in the Atlantic coastal tropics of Rio de Janerio (as I mentioned in the prior post) adds yet another conflict.

5 minutes ago, __nevii said:

@Silas_Sancona

Just curious, where exactly did you find that range map? It's interesting (although a bit gridded).

Hot and dry is no doubt a limiting factor for sure. I concur with the US and mainland Mexico map, but not really sure about the Baja and California sector as those areas do have ramalina menziesii that can be conflated with spanish moss. In particular, the southern Baja region looks sufficiently cool and humid enough to mitigate the worst of the desert dessication, while still retaining enough of the heat for tropicals to survive: I think it starts around La Paz because of mountain gaps that allow "Pacific Coolers" to blow through, then the areas southwards at Los Cabos has full ocean influence, along with errant tropical cyclones for periodic rains some years.

Nevertheless, the above posts around Virginia were quite a surprise, to see such moss survive such intense winter freezing and snow. So I was wondering about another aspect of the "warm limit" assuming that spanish moss was one of those plants that also requires chillier temps? This is because people have mentioned anecdotally that the stuff is very abundant in places like Georgia and the Carolinas, and down to Central Florida around Tampa, yet is quite absent around the Miami/SE Florida area. Additionally, when looking at South America, the stuff is again profuse in elevated Columbia areas like Santander/San Gil (i.e. ~3000ft), but there's nil reports in the equatorial Amazon rainforest ... although the presense in the Atlantic coastal tropics of Rio de Janerio (as I mentioned in the prior post) adds yet another conflict.

iNat ( iNaturalist ) ..Screen shot is zoomed out. On iNat, you can zoom in as close as near street level to look over observation points on the map. Only app i use / trust when it comes to ID'ing stuff ..Even though it isn't always 100% perfect ( bad / miss- identifications in some instances )..

As far as any alike-ness  between Spanish Moss and Lace Lichen is preferred exposure ..which are similar..  I myself would use other Tillandsia sp  native to Baja / mainland Sonora as a more reliable" indicator " to where Spanish moss may be able to grow.. T. recurvata esp. since it is just as hardy  though it will grow on cacti in the Fog Belt areas of Baja Norte where it is likely too sunny for Spanish Moss.

Winter cool period is questionable, but an interesting thought since there are some other Tillandsia sp. will supposedly flower better / more prolifically if subjected to X amount of cool ( ...but not cold ) weather during winter.

• Like 2