Sign in to follow this  
Funkthulhu

First Inflorescence of C.cataractarum in my Office!

Funkthulhu

Just wanted to post some pictures of my Cham. cat. because it has never bloomed before and this is the largest palm I've ever had do so. (so far)  One popped last week, the other was open when I came in to work on Monday.

Is there a way I can better promote pollination?  I've kinda "simulated wind" with enough shaking to make them both dust each other up.  Any other suggestions?

qkQ71SWqkQ71SW.jpg

sNZruWM.jpg

wB2AP80.jpg

• Upvote 6

Fusca

Very nice!  I believe the Chamaedorea palms are dioecious and yours looks like a male so unless you have another female palm you won't get seed.

Jon

DCA_Palm_Fan

Yep.  You have a boy!    The trick is to get the female inflorescence and male inflorescence at the same time.   Often, the nursery trade plants so many in a single pot that you are bound to have both in one pot fairly often.  Last summer, before I moved to Florida, I had two large ones  and both shot up both male and female inflos at the same time.  I just bent the female stalk down to the male stalk (the male stalks are usually shorter) and shook it over the female inflo and boom, successful pollination.  I had developing seeds on it as of august when I gave it away.  those seeds are now likely mature. Ill have to check with my friend as he has it.  If its got seeds I am going to have him mail some to me.    Keep us posted!    How about a photo of the entire plant too?     

DoomsDave

Yes, dioeciousness can be a bit of pain for the eager to reproduce.

If you have any other cat palms, one of them is bound to be a female.

I just couldn't resist this video: (Leroy the palm? :) )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHQaniX3uGc

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      I can't remember when I planted this Chamaedorea in the western edge of our jungle. I scarcely noticed it at all until it sent up a crop of seeds. It appears to be solitary and non-trunking and I wonder, "Could it be C. radicalis?" Can someone confirm or steer me in the right direction? Thanks
      Seeding Chamaedorea, Cape Coral, FL

• Funkthulhu
      By Funkthulhu
      I received some seed from @DoomsDave last year and even after moving and cats and everything else, I still have two seedlings left.  They're a deep green, and seem very healthy.  
      However!  In giving them a deep soak today I noticed that there are new tiny little spears coming up from the edge of the stem, not the center...  Then I did some research to find that C. mitis is a Tillering palm!  
      So, now I'm a bit worried.  They're in a rather small pot right now, and they only have 3 or 4 leaves each.  How big of a pot do I need for these?  Or, more importantly, how deep to accommodate the tillering of this species?  (while we're at it, what soil composition do they prefer, as I assume I'll be repotting?) 
      Cheers!

• PalmTreeDude
      By PalmTreeDude
      I received some Chamaedorea radicalis seeds about one week ago, and have had them soaking in water since (changing water out, of course). I’m about to sow them but I noticed there is a thin looking layer of shell or something around the actual seed, should I try to peel that off or is it fine if it stays on? 

• Bill H2DB
      By Bill H2DB
      Here's a video of some palms under the large live oak hanging over much of my yard . I call her  " Big Bertha " .
       Those branches up there are each around 42" or more in diameter . A nice breezy day , with the Spanish Moss swaying .

Breezy day in Florida by Bill H, on Flickr

• Brad Mondel
      By Brad Mondel
      Which do you prefer?