IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Our Irma Evacuation

IHB1979

Thursday morning, days before a Florida landfall, Irma was being forecast to hit SE Florida and exit around the Cape Canaveral area, then a Charlston, SC landfall. We live on the barrier island south of Cape Canaveral and we knew a mandatory evacuation order was imminent. My family and I buttoned up the house and decided to evacuate. We couldn't find any hotels in the central FL area. So I decided to make the best out of having to evacuate and headed northwest to the panhandle. Traffic was horrendous and gas was in short supply as we made our way from the Melbourne, FL area to Orlando. We were going to take the FL turnpike to get to I75 but it was a parking lot. Instead of taking I75 to I10 we ended up traversing the area on secondary highways trying to avoid the traffic. Took 44 from Leesburg to Crystal River where we took 98 all the way to our destination west of the big bend area, which at the time was out of the 5-day cone.

After hours in the car with my wife and sons, 4 and 2, we had to eat. We thought to calm everyone down we would find something outdoors, a picnic dinner. So we got off 98 in Yankeetown, found a park with a gazebo and maybe the largest Sabal palmettos I have ever seen right on the Withlacoochee River. Yankeetown is on the west coast of Florida, has the red outline around it on the map below.

yankeetown2.png

yankeetown1.png

IMG_3831.jpg

IMG_3830.jpg

After our little break on the Withlacoochee River, we kept driving, many others had the same idea we had and the traffic continued to be terrible.

IMG_3834.jpg

What should have been a 6.5 hour drive under normal conditions ended up being 11.5 hours. We were safe or at least we thought! Within 36 hours the cone shifted drastically to the west, now possible SW Florida landfall...we were now in the cone again and our lodging was a wooden cottage within 5 miles of the panhandle coast. My plan had backfired and had to make the decision to move further north into Alabama. Believe it or not, we could only find a hotel reservation in Birmingham, AL. We loaded the car up and got back on the road feeling as though Irma was chasing us. About 2 or 3 hours into our drive we entered Enterprise, AL and drove by a Holiday Inn Express, pulled in because it looked empty and got the last room available. We spent the next two days in Enterprise as Irma carved a path northward through the peninsula of Florida. We had a lot of anxiety about going home, along with the 5.5 million other evacuees'. What would traffic be like, will there be gas, etc. We made a decision to leave Enterprise just as Irma passed north of the Florida border.  We had some gusty driving conditions and numerous trees were blocking I10, thankfully they were on the West bound direction of the interstate. We arrived home in 8 hours. Minimal damage, gutter, porch screen and some fascia blown out. Palms tipped and leaning, trees shredded but nothing compared to what others have encountered.

We had made it home Monday evening...with no power. It would remain like this until Friday morning. Needless to say my family now owns a generator and window AC unit.

• Upvote 5

Thanks for your story. First-hand descriptions are interesting and informative. Hope I never have to go through a similar experience.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

FL is an evacuation nightmare. You have no choice as you live on a barrier island. Our niece left at the last minute after hearing even inland Cape Coral was subject to 10-12' storm surge (so, supposedly, were we). She & her family drove through the night to Atlanta. Five days later her little caravan took 27 hours to get home (no hotel rooms anywhere) for a trip that should have taken 8-10 hours. Her house was fine except for no power so they ended up crashing at our place for the night and hot showers. What can be done next time? I really don't know. We stayed because we figured out years ago the horrendous logistics of these evacuations. We also went through Charley in 2004, which was a cat 4 when it hit our area at the last minute. We lost shingles on our 12 y.o. roof. We replaced that 11 months later with a metal roof.  We decided to ride out Irma and that storm turned out to be cat 2-3. No damage to the house whatsoever although the gardens were trashed. I'm absolutely sold on metal roofs in FL - well worth the extra cost.

I'm glad to hear you and your family are well.

• Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Bob, thanks for sharing your harrowing experience.

Glad you and your family are safe.

Your experience and Meg's observations point out clearly the dilemmas posed by a mass evacuation from a place that gets more and more crowded all the time, coupled with at least theoretically rising sea levels. A very unpleasant calculation.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.