Sign in to follow this  
Ed in Houston

Hurricane Maria

Ed in Houston

The current forecast has hurricane Maria hitting Puerto Rico as a category 4.

at201715.gif

So Sorry.

Ed in Houston

bubba

Latest NHC Update has Maria at 23.5/ 72.0 on Saturday Sept.26, 2017. Too far North and East for Florida. That stated, I am not removing my prep for Irma for another week at a minimum. My Granddad went through the 1928 Hurrcan (that dam Hurrcan) down here among many others (1949) and he always said Cape Verde in our area spanned from Aug.15-Sept.15. After that for Florida it becomes sidewinder season (See Wilma 2005/West to East (Naples to PB)). Sidewinders are nothing to take for granted but the Cape Verde's are the atom smashers.

• Upvote 1

DoomsDave
3 hours ago, bubba said:

Latest NHC Update has Maria at 23.5/ 72.0 on Saturday Sept.26, 2017. Too far North and East for Florida. That stated, I am not removing my prep for Irma for another week at a minimum. My Granddad went through the 1928 Hurrcan (that dam Hurrcan) down here among many others (1949) and he always said Cape Verde in our area spanned from Aug.15-Sept.15. After that for Florida it becomes sidewinder season (See Wilma 2005/West to East (Naples to PB)). Sidewinders are nothing to take for granted but the Cape Verde's are the atom smashers.

Care to share some of your Granddad's reminiscences he shared with you?

I try to imagine the greater horror of not really having a warning to ignore, like we do now. Bet there's some serious existential stuff in there.

Please share, if you dare!

GottmitAlex

Prayers go out.

Dave-Vero

Among the few bright items I've seen are that the Arecibo radio telescope was essentially unscathed.  Unfortunately, it's likely to run out of funding fairly soon.  Second, the island's art collections are in good shape.  

Nothing on Puerto Rican parrots.  

The 1928 San Felipe Segundo hurricane (the Okeechobee hurricane when it hit Florida) was a category-5 horror, very similar path to Irma in Puerto Rico, then it killed thousands in Florida.  

I don't want to criticize Gov. Rosselló of Puerto Rico, who has had his hands full in ways that the governors of Florida and Texas did not, but he perhaps should have had subordinates overseeing bursting dams, floods, the islandwide power outage, and everything else, and instead spent his time on the phone with FEMA officials and the President.  It seems easier for the federal government to intervene in a foreign country (like Haiti) than in a US state or territory. See the Washington Post for details.  End of political commentary.   

edbrown_III

just aint the revenue there ----- lots of mountain roads like WV ---------   folks live in shax there ------ alot of industry has been off shored to China etc.   ---it took 5 years fer Island to rebuild after Hugo -----   some of the FLood control infrastructure was built since Hugo ---- local politics and FEMA didnt provide the logistics they needed ----  you have a large population with Diabetes and Heart Disease like Missippii -----just the diet and culture unfortunately ---- probably go back in the sping once I cobble together a few bucks to take a trip