IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Spotlight on Geonoma

Kamipalms

A Genus that rarely pops up on the forum is Geonoma.

Although not a huge genus, they are a highly variable and some times colourful species numbering around 50 .

Native habit is from Central America to Brazil from medium to high elevations.

A few questions;

Who's growing Geonoma's ?

Which species are you growing ?

How easy/difficult are they for you?

Your favorite(?

Your must have or most desired?

Geobacu.jpg

Kami.

Made the move to Mandurah - West Aust

Kamipalms,
Growing for the future

I'm growing G. schottiana and interrupta in fairly deep shade with good irrigation.  They tolerate my coolish winters with little visible damage.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Lovely palms, easy germinators and horrible survivers for me here. Adjusting the correct pH in the soil seems to be my difficult task for the culture of the Amazonic species.

I'm temporarily without my camera, so I won't have to be ashamed and show Jason my G. baculiferas, the same age as his but much smaller and still unhappy.

I've tried here from seeds:

schottiana, baculifera, blanchetiana, gamiova, maxima var. maxima and rubescens. Only schottiana is growing fine here (and still rather poorly). Blanchetiana is doing ok, but still very small and the others seem to be ready for palm heaven soon...

From the pictures I've seen, the most beautiful ones are:

undata, macrostachys (lovely palmlet from western Amazonia, stemless with entire leaves), piscicauda and leptospadix. Other natives from Brazil are: acaulis, aspidifolia, baculifera, blanchetiana, brevispatha, brongniartii, camana, deversa, elegans, gamiova, interrupta, laxiflora, leptospadix, litoralis, macrostachys, maxima var. chelidonura, maxima var. maxima, maxima var. spixiana (beautiful with new red leaf), myriantha, pauciflora, pohliana, rubescens, piscicauda and stricta, besides 2 other species recently discovered without a taxon yet.

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

My god where are all these genera coming from? So many 'new' ones Ive never heard of!

Larry Shone in wet and sunny north-east England!  Zone9 ish

Tie two fish together and though they have two tails they cannot swim <>< ><>

I too would like a go and as its high altitude maybe, just maybe, I would have a chance with this genera  here ???

Possibly worth a try.

Regardez fellow palmophiles.

Juan

Juan

Here's a species of Geonoma from Atlantic forest habitat in my State (Pernambuco), found last year and unidentified yet. Notice the amazing similarity with the small Dypsis of Madagascar:

post-157-1179403035_thumb.jpg

Wow are there really so few of us growing Geonomas?  I have two species in the ground, my schottiana has been in the ground 3 years and the undata two years.  I got both as robust seedlings about 4 years ago.  The schottiana has been a less finicky plant, I even dug and moved it last year with no issue at all.  The undata grew very fast in my greenhouse (even with 100F temps occaisonally), but has been slow outside.  It is growing though and looking a bit better each year.

I'm also growing G gamiova from seed right now, all working on first and second leaves.  And Gileno, your baculifera I'm sure look better than mine, I never even got a seed to germinate!

Here's the schottiana

post-6-1179467343_thumb.jpg

San Diego

0.6 Acres of a south facing, gently sloped dirt pile, soon to be impenetrable jungle

East of Mount Soledad, in the biggest cold sink in San Diego County.

Zone 10a (I hope), Sunset 24

And a full shot of the undata

post-6-1179467434_thumb.jpg

San Diego

0.6 Acres of a south facing, gently sloped dirt pile, soon to be impenetrable jungle

And a closeup on the leaf bases of the undata.  It's definitely becoming a very colorful palm.

post-6-1179467549_thumb.jpg

San Diego

Jason - I have tried undata and echo Gileno's experiences. Good germination and early growth.

Had very high hopes, as they progressed well.

Near 200 nice seedlings goners upon moving outdoors.

I, however, haven't given up on that species.

Matt - nice job! I want to see how they progress!!!!

Joe Dombrowski

Discovery Island Palms Nursery

San Marcos, CA

"grow my little palm tree, grow!"

I have a number of different Geonomas. Unfortunately, many of them were planted way back when I first began to plant palms here, so even though I have a record of each and every one in my little database, many of these plantings were done before I had named the various areas in our garden. So, I know that I have a number of different Geonomas of different species. I just don't know exactly where they are planted... Need to do an inventory I guess.

Anyway, this particular one was sold to me simply as Geonoma sp. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know!

post-22-1179475303_thumb.jpg

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Close-up of the same Geonoma sp.

post-22-1179475362_thumb.jpg

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Geonoma epetiolata

post-22-1179475402_thumb.jpg

And this is supposed to be Geonoma interrupta

post-22-1179475466_thumb.jpg

And this is a close-up of another individual, but same species (so, supposedly a G. interrupta). I should mention an interesting experience I had just now when I went outside (at 10 p.m.) to take these photos. As I was stumbling around in the thick vegetation behind the palm in the previous photo I came across three palms that simply blew me away (and needless to say, I havn't been in this area in quite some time...). They have no trunk, but are fairly sturdy with very upright fronds that seemed to go forever, but they were probably no more than 15-16 ft or so, and with distinct grouped leaflets. I have no clue what kind of palms this is! Had no idea I could stumble into mysteries like this in my own garden.... :P

post-22-1179475839_thumb.jpg

Heres a fresh shot of Gileno's Geonoma....

g.baculifera18may07.jpg

I found this one on Floribunda's website  listed as G.monostachys but, the Kew Checklist doesn't recognize the name as being valid.

Geonomamonostachys.jpg

Anyone have a clue to what species this one is?

Kamipalms,
Growing for the future

G,

That little unidentified Geonoma is quite a pretty one. No name for it yet?

Looks like you have quite a few natives close by.

Bo,

Your lucky to have one of those G. epetiolata's....it is a "must have" for me. Put me down for the first lot of seed... :)

Heres my favourite pic which I hijack from PACSOA on a regular basis... look at that colour!

epetiolataB.jpg

Matt,

Your little G.undata seems to be coping very well which is good news for me!

I had the opportunity to get some seed last year and I passed on it!....What a Fool!!

Unsuccessful so far has been G.schottiana- all seeds rotted quickly.

Kami.

Kamipalms,
Growing for the future

Geonoma are an underused but ornamental genus. We have 3 species growing happily in the collection here at Leu Gardens;

Geonoma brevispatha;

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/leu4510....33

Geonoma gamiova;

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/leu4510....34

Geonoma schottiana, this has flowered the last couple of years;

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/leu4510....35

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/leu4510....36

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

mmmmmmm...

Bo's interrupta looks more like my schottiana than Matt's...

...and Bo's and Kami's pictured epetiolata look like the next Geonoma I'll be looking for to welcome here in my garden... :D

So far just one of my schottianas have germinated, which is on it's second leaf.  Still no sign of my gamiovas germinating.  It is possibly a little too warm for them in my polytunnel, particularly at night.

Here's the solitary germination, as at 25th April.

Geonoma_schottiana_25-04-07.jpg

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Jul High 72F/22C (91F/33C Max)

Ave Jul Low 52F/11C (45F/7C Min)

Ave Jan High 46F/8C (59F/15C Max)

Ave Jan Low 34F/1C (21F/-6C Min)

Ave Rain 736mm pa

I've spent a fair amount of time researching this Genus over the last couple of days and to be honest, there isn't a whole lot of info out there to be had.

I found a couple of sites with very limited info and even less in the way of pictures apart for a lot of herbarium listings-Geonoma herbarium sheets

A couple of interesting sites;

Andrew Henderson -Geonoma

Palm Base-Geonoma

Corey,

I'm not sure how hot your tunnel is getting but if you look at habit conditions night time temps only get down to 20C - 25C which is still pretty warm.

Kamipalms,
Growing for the future

Corey, we ha*e wild Geonoma schottiana growing here and I can tell you, it can be *ery  *ery cold here. We will ha*e our first frost here probably on Thirsday (probably only -1 to -2`C) But some years the waterpipes are full of ice. Today the sky is gray and a miserable dri**le...English weather!

G.schottians also grows at the frostfree atlantic coast,and also in warmer southeast Bra*il.

So I think you will nead to know the pro*enance of your seed!

*= two of the last letters of the alphabet! :D

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

This pics of Pacsoa are from here:

http://www.pacsoa.org.au/palms/Geonoma schottiana.html

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!