IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

What Brahea is this

Chris Chance

I've grown this since it was in a liner. Just started showing teeth and a little blue on the petioles. Anyone have an idea?

20170913_102412-747x1328.jpg

20170913_102437-747x1328.jpg

• Upvote 2

Either aculeata or brandegeei. I have a very similar one growing in my garden, where aculeata and brandegeei seed regularly. I have also an armata that creates offspring, but your plant is obviously not an armata.

Edited by Phoenikakias

Btw aculeata have turned out to be the in the running for fastest growing brahea for me and a 1g plant spear burned but still lived despite being completely frozen in a pot at 16f overnight. The 1g armata beside it spear pulled but didnt burn. 

Thanks for the replies! I can say this thing has really been cranking since being planted. It's grown about six leaves over the summer.

• 1 year later...

Quick update on this palm has been growing really well and loves the summer heat. I mad the mistake of adding the purple heart plant in the garden. Stuff is difficult to get rid of but it does look cool.

20190516_085013.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

My initial opinion does not change. Either brandegeei or aculeata. Only this time your plant obtained a look close to the other plant of mine, which must be either of the two mentioned spp. I.E. I have two plants resulted from produced seeds of my Brahea plants. Three mature plants produce seeds, brandegeei, aculeata, armata, and those two juvenile plants are quite distinct from each other but neither of them looks like an armata, so they must originate from the other two spp but which is which remains a mystery. Here is the juvenile plant of mine, which resembles currently  more your own plant (picture taken yesterday).

20190516_190354.jpg

And here is a picture of both juvenile plants. The one in the previous picture is now on the right hand and in background.

20190516_190341.thumb.jpg.74163d25298513216669beaad313d43b.jpg

Edited by Phoenikakias

This is the other juvenile, which initially resembled yours more. It may be not apparent now, but  in younger age it was much like yours as looked in the first posted picture in this topic.

20190516_190242.jpg

I have read in another forum that a consistent trait of aculeata is a pronounced asymmetry of blade at the junction point with petiole, and I have already observed it on my mature aculeata. What is the situation of your plant in this respect?

20190517_085745.thumb.jpg.df56ae6cd32eb800ae9408e2f3f09734.jpg

One characteristic I’ve noted an a brandegeei I’m growing is a full 360 degree circular leaf that it’s exhibited since it was waist high.  It’s very unique; whether it’s always that way on these palms I can’t say. Yours lacks that characteristic..

• Like 1

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

I really am leaning towards aculeata from what I see online. This palm has really gained size since being planted. I think as it gets bigger we will know for sure.

• 8 months later...

Here's an update on this palm. I was doing a little cleaning up. Kinda getting started with the spring cleaning. This Brahea has gained some size. I trimmed it a bit since it's hard to clean up around it otherwise. Picture taken right around sunset. 

0124201655.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 1/24/2020 at 5:06 PM, Chris Chance said:

Here's an update on this palm. I was doing a little cleaning up. Kinda getting started with the spring cleaning. This Brahea has gained some size. I trimmed it a bit since it's hard to clean up around it otherwise. Picture taken right around sunset. 

0124201655.jpg

Looking good Chris.  Brahea are underrated for our SoCal climate.  

• Upvote 1