• Similar Content

• Ck32250
      By Ck32250
      I planted this palm about 2 years ago. It immeadiatly lost 80% of its fronds. It has been unchanged ever since- not a single new frond. I recently stuck a camera in there and it looks like the new growth is stuck somehow. Should I try to dig it out? Any advice on getting this to grow new fronds again? Thanks. 

• Tracy
      By Tracy
      I was looking at the new flushes on my Encephalartos arenarius x woodii as they near there full size and realizing how much this cycad has grown since I planted it.  I searched for photos of when I got the plant as a 15 gallon and found the one below pictured still in the pot.  The photo was February 2011 and I planted it within weeks of the photo being taken.  7 years later one of the pups would dwarf the caudex of the original 15 gallon plant.  The third pup is now flushing 5 leaves, while the larger pup has pushed somewhere in the high teens of new leaves.  I'm optimistic that I'll actually live to see this be a large cycad at this rate.  Chalk one up for hybrid vigor !

• Plantasexoticas
      By Plantasexoticas
      Hello everyone,
      I was curious to know what all your fastest growing palms are and what conditions they are growing under.
      Most of my palms are still seedlings but my fastest are Washingtonia and to my surprise, Chambeyronia macrocarpa. Currently they all grow either on windowsills or in my grow room where temperatures rarely drop below 15 celcius (59F) and on sunny days it may hit 20-22c (68-72F) in summer it will be much warmer - up to 30C/86F (indoors) My grow room has lighting most of the day and the windowsill plants just receive natural light.
      James
    • PalmTreeDude
      By PalmTreeDude
      Does anyone have before and after pics of their Washingtonia growing? It is interesting to see their growth after years. 
    • Tracy
      By Tracy
      I have a couple of Dypsis prestoniana in my garden.  One was newly planted at the end of last spring and has been slow to get established, while the one that has been in the garden for a couple of years has always been a good grow for me.  The newer planted seems to me to have narrower leaflets, and doesn't have the same beefy trunk when comparing the two plants.  I'm not sure if the newer one will start to resemble the older one with time and pick up speed, but thought I would toss this out there with photos of both.  The newer one came out of a 15 gallon and was top heavy in winds so I staked it down when planting it.  First the new one, then the established presto in the last 2 photos for comparison.
      Comments and thoughts appreciated.