IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Eight years growth in Carlsbad

Tracy

Looks amazing Tracy. I need to come by for a visit the next time I’m in California. I’d love to see it in person. 

12 hours ago, The Gerg said:

Looking good Tracy. When one fills up that final spot in the yard it’s time to buy another house with another yard to create your work of art. Because we all know it is impossible to stop buying palms and other tropicals. It’s our addiction.

I can relate to this as I’m closing escrow this week on another property here on the Big Island!  Palm addiction really messes with the mind (in a good way!)

• Like 3

On 10/7/2020 at 11:22 AM, Tracy said:

Screenshot-2018-3-11 1723 Eucalyptus Ave, Encinitas, CA 92024 - backyard from old deck.png

I can't quite get this view anymore since this deck was replaced with more house... but if you look below, you can see a similar view looking out now toward the driveway and toward the small planter I have between a covered patio and the garage now.  Until that Pritchardia goes up more you can't even really see the driveway anymore.

Jason congrats on the new additional property on the big island!  One rental is enough for now for me.  I've helped one of my son's gardens with a Dypsis lanceolata and a Rhopolostylis sapida he and his wife picked out.  They are in a townhome for now so didn't have a lot of space for much more.  Perhaps if they get something with more yard eventually, I'll be able to donate some additional plantings though!

20201007-BH3I1307.jpg

20201007-BH3I1309.jpg

20201007-BH3I1308.jpg

• Like 3

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

• 10 months later...
On 9/13/2017 at 7:28 AM, Tracy said:

20090815-IMG_4566-1.jpg

20170903-104A7430.jpg

Same Bismarckia nobilis, 2009, 2017 and now summer of 2021.  Was over at the house putting down some fertilizer and took photos while I was there.

20210810-BH3I5095.jpg

• Like 6

• 1 year later...
On 9/13/2017 at 7:28 AM, Tracy said:

20090815-IMG_4566-1.jpg

20090815-IMG_4590.jpg

2009 photos above of my then Dypsis lutescens and Bismarckia nobilis and the same palms in 2023.  I had no idea at the time that I was planting what would become Chrysalidocarpus lutescens too close to my Bismarckia nobilis.  Oh well, the Bismarck has just pushed aside anything getting in it's way.  A lesson learned.

20230218-BH3I0476.jpg

20230218-BH3I0463.jpg

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

On 9/13/2017 at 7:43 AM, Tracy said:

Encephalartos lebomboensis, Dioon edule "Palma Sola", Cycas unknown

20090815-IMG_4574.jpg

I thought there was plenty of space for these cycads when I planted them.  There was  triple Pygmy Date palm that I had to remove that was on the one side of the Encephalartos lebomboensis, and on the other side, its crowding the Dioon palma sol.

20230218-BH3I0450.jpg

20230218-BH3I0451.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

On 9/13/2017 at 7:06 AM, Tracy said:

Sabal mauritiiformis

20090815-IMG_4553.jpg

20170903-104A7441.jpg

The Sabal mauritiformis I can only really capture now from the lower part of the yard, and the same for the Pritchardia maideniana.  At least I gave them some space between.

20230218-BH3I0499.jpg

20230218-BH3I0497.jpg

• Like 10
  • Upvote 1

On 2/20/2023 at 7:04 PM, Tracy said:

I thought there was plenty of space for these cycads when I planted them.  There was  triple Pygmy Date palm that I had to remove that was on the one side of the Encephalartos lebomboensis, and on the other side, its crowding the Dioon palma sol.

20230218-BH3I0450.jpg

20230218-BH3I0451.jpg

@Tracy, this example of how close things get when mature scares me. I can already see me editing my garden(s). 

12 hours ago, realarch said:

I’m so looking forward to seeing your garden soon! What a treat. 

Tim

@realarch, you won’t be disappointed. 

-dale 

• Like 1

Thanks Dale, having seen all the photos of the garden and having met Tracy and Dana, I’m sure it will be better than I imagine.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

5 hours ago, realarch said:

Thanks Dale, having seen all the photos of the garden and having met Tracy and Dana, I’m sure it will be better than I imagine.

Tim

We are looking forward to seeing you here Tim, you were a great host.  It is nothing like the variety you have in your garden which is truly a world class tropical garden.   You  have to reset expectations when you come back to San Diego from the Big Island.  Our tenant is moving out in late March and we are planning some upgrades so hopefully the timing will work out so we can take you to the Carlsbad garden too.

6 hours ago, Billeb said:

@Tracy, this example of how close things get when mature scares me. I can already see me editing my garden(s). 

Dale, the triple Phoenix roebelenii was behind the Cycas thouarsii below, sandwiched between it and the E lebomboensis.  It was getting squished on both sides. Editing from time to time is just part of having a garden.

20230218-BH3I0449.jpg

• Like 2

Tracy,

I certainly didn’t mean to come off condescending, I imagine your garden to even more outstanding in person than the photographs can convey.

Tim

• Like 1

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

15 hours ago, Tracy said:

We are looking forward to seeing you here Tim, you were a great host.  It is nothing like the variety you have in your garden which is truly a world class tropical garden.   You  have to reset expectations when you come back to San Diego from the Big Island.  Our tenant is moving out in late March and we are planning some upgrades so hopefully the timing will work out so we can take you to the Carlsbad garden too.

Thanks for the kind words. I look forward to our visit and checking out your palm and cycad collection among all of the other plantings. 

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

I must have missed this thread when it was first posted, but the updates are pretty amazing! The history makes me even more appreciative of the beauty on display during the PSSC tour of your garden. Both the house and the garden have come a very long way over the years. Well done!

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.