IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Any Phoenix species in Pacific Northwest cities?

pin38

I've read on forums here that Brookings, Oregon is about the farthest north you will see CIDP on the west coast, but are there any grown in Portland or Seattle? Those cities have winter averages and minimums that are very similar to London and other parts of southern UK that have CIDP and maybe other phoenix species. Though I realize the PNW cities do get more rain in the coldest months than London, which may be the problem. But I was also wondering about some of the rain shadow towns up there, like Sequim? They're a little cooler but only get 16 inches/year.

Mike in zone 6 Missouruh

I don’t think there are any big ones left. Over a decade ago we had a really bad winter that took out a lot of exotics in the PNW.

There may be some that are smaller but I am not aware of any. Sequim is the driest place on the western side of the state but it can get really cold there. And the really dry places in Eastern part of the state 6” of annual rain is to cold. There are some decent  looking Jubaea chilensis and Butia here in the PNW.         

This photo is probably the last large phoenix in PNW but I doubt it survive the last big cold winter over a decade ago. 

i-68rgs5r.jpg

• Upvote 3

On 9/12/2017, 10:53:50, Palm crazy said:

I don’t think there are any big ones left. Over a decade ago we had a really bad winter that took out a lot of exotics in the PNW.

There may be some that are smaller but I am not aware of any. Sequim is the driest place on the western side of the state but it can get really cold there. And the really dry places in Eastern part of the state 6” of annual rain is to cold. There are some decent  looking Jubaea chilensis and Butia here in the PNW.         

This photo is probably the last large phoenix in PNW but I doubt it survive the last big cold winter over a decade ago. 

i-68rgs5r.jpg

I appreciate the insight, do you happen to know what town that specimen is in?

Mike in zone 6 Missouruh

• 2 weeks later...

This past winter was awful for Portland.  Arcata, California is well known for the Canary Island date palm in the city square.  

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us