Sign in to follow this  
pin38

Any Phoenix species in Pacific Northwest cities?

pin38

I've read on forums here that Brookings, Oregon is about the farthest north you will see CIDP on the west coast, but are there any grown in Portland or Seattle? Those cities have winter averages and minimums that are very similar to London and other parts of southern UK that have CIDP and maybe other phoenix species. Though I realize the PNW cities do get more rain in the coldest months than London, which may be the problem. But I was also wondering about some of the rain shadow towns up there, like Sequim? They're a little cooler but only get 16 inches/year.

Palm crazy

I don’t think there are any big ones left. Over a decade ago we had a really bad winter that took out a lot of exotics in the PNW.

There may be some that are smaller but I am not aware of any. Sequim is the driest place on the western side of the state but it can get really cold there. And the really dry places in Eastern part of the state 6” of annual rain is to cold. There are some decent  looking Jubaea chilensis and Butia here in the PNW.         

This photo is probably the last large phoenix in PNW but I doubt it survive the last big cold winter over a decade ago. 

i-68rgs5r.jpg

• Upvote 3

pin38
On 9/12/2017, 10:53:50, Palm crazy said:

I don’t think there are any big ones left. Over a decade ago we had a really bad winter that took out a lot of exotics in the PNW.

There may be some that are smaller but I am not aware of any. Sequim is the driest place on the western side of the state but it can get really cold there. And the really dry places in Eastern part of the state 6” of annual rain is to cold. There are some decent  looking Jubaea chilensis and Butia here in the PNW.         

This photo is probably the last large phoenix in PNW but I doubt it survive the last big cold winter over a decade ago. 

i-68rgs5r.jpg

I appreciate the insight, do you happen to know what town that specimen is in?

Dave-Vero

This past winter was awful for Portland.  Arcata, California is well known for the Canary Island date palm in the city square.