IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

my Chamaedorea metallicas are flowering?

Mohsen

Finally , almost 2 years after I bought this triple my Chamaedorea metallica seem flowering again...

I hope I have both male and female ( as @Pal Meir Pal said i guess in past) 

IMG_1064.JPG

IMG_1065.JPG

• Upvote 4

Mohsen, if you have both male and female plants, pollination won't be automatically. You'll have to help the plant getting the sticky pollen substance onto the female flowers. I was once succesfull with a cotton stick but my second attempt resulted in nothing, I'm not sure why.

• Upvote 1

www.facebook.com/#!/Totallycoconuts

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Mohsen,

looks like female. Chamaedorea is one of my favorite palms as you can grow them easily indoors. Actually I found a German seller for small seedlings. Wann see them growing here soonest.

Do you have a male palm to hybridize?

Eckhard

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_bluestripes_metri

1 hour ago, Palmensammler said:

Hello Mohsen,

looks like female. Chamaedorea is one of my favorite palms as you can grow them easily indoors. Actually I found a German seller for small seedlings. Wann see them growing here soonest.

Eckhard

Can I ask where did you find small Metallicas ?

21 hours ago, Palmensammler said:

Hello Mohsen,

Eckhard

From Pal photo it should be male ?

Sorry you're right, I haven't read correctly the comments on the pictures :mellow: But I'm still wondering because normally the seeds are collected from branches like Pal identifies as male

Eckhard

Edited by Palmensammler
  • Upvote 1

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_bluestripes_metri

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Mohsen did you try to hand fertilize to get any seed?

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

Interestingly mine only ever has the female flowers. Yet after the last flowering I now have 2 green fruit!

Larry Shone in wet and sunny north-east England!  Zone9 ish

Tie two fish together and though they have two tails they cannot swim <>< ><>

On 9/10/2017, 3:22:12, Mohsen said:

Finally , almost 2 years after I bought this triple my Chamaedorea metallica seem flowering again...

Mohsen, Did you end up fertilizing them?

• Upvote 1

Cheers Steve

On 1/5/2018, 2:23:15, gtsteve said:

Mohsen, Did you end up fertilizing them?

No Steve

Unfortunately it was not successful this year , maybe next year 

• 3 years later...

These C. metallicas were a 2g community pot purchased from Home Depot that I subsequently divided. I'd seen inflorescences in the past, but failed to realize that they looked different (I falsely assumed they were all the same sex!). Judging by the Pal Meir's photos, I assume that I have two females flanking a male. I'm going to keep checking, but it looks like the male flowers are closer to maturity compared to the female. I've never seen seeds on the plant, but I'm hoping to hand pollinate. I wonder if they will reach maturity at the same time? I assume I'm looking for sticky bits at the end of the female flowers to mark its receptiveness.

IMG_9306.thumb.jpg.bec727654cb948164f3530b65d2fa259.jpg

• Like 1

Mate, my procedure is not the most productive but I can get seeds every year just by breaking off the male stalks (then the flowers open and they start to drop pollen) and putting them into a plastic bag (am told that a paper bag is better) and putting it over the female stalks that look like they are ready and giving them a good shake. I sometimes do that for several days because I don't look too closely to see exactly when the female flower is open and 'ready'.

I also have had a Metallica self fertilize i.e. produce seeds from the very close male without my help. I don't know what the fertilization vector is, wind, insect?

I'm just saying that it was not too hard for me, my favorable climate probably helps.

• Like 2

Cheers Steve