IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Strange leaf emergence

Tracy

I found it very strange when my Dypsis onilahensis opened a new leaf, and I realized that the spear which split off the opening leaf was also opening with no rotation on the stem.  Normally, the new leaf opens, and the next to open rotates anywhere from 45 degrees to 180 degrees around the trunk from the previous leaf.  I have never seen a palm leaf open almost right on top of the previous leaf like this one.  It definitely is going through a major sudden growth spurt, as the there were two more spears which split off right behind these two which opened. I have never observed this with two sequential leaves opening almost in the same plane and almost inter-tangled before the leaf tips separate as shown in one of the closeup shots.  While its not a problem it is a novelty in my experience, but perhaps not in yours?

20170908-104A7485.jpg

20170908-104A7487-2.jpg

20170908-104A7487.jpg

20170908-104A7486.jpg

• Upvote 2

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

They will do some weird leaves as they are working on splitting ..

• Upvote 3

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

8 hours ago, BS Man about Palms said:

That was my first thought as to whether it might be splitting, but it seems like it will be fairly high up the trunk for a split on a Dypsis onilahensis.  This trunk just started showing it's first ring, but its holding several leaves above that ring.  I did see something similar with a Dypsis crinita with two leaves popping in the same direction, but the split was quite apparent when it occurred.  The nice thing with the crinita, is that I often have two red leaves open at the same time now!

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, BS Man about Palms said:

my thoughts exactly

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Hmmmm....have never seen that before. Another incident of weirdness for the memory bank.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

• 1 month later...
On 9/8/2017, 10:12:10, BS Man about Palms said:

On 9/9/2017, 11:29:33, realarch said:

have never seen that before.

Bill was right Tim.  You can see the progression, and it's in a high traffic spot to show off the split trunk when its complete... my dog watching guard.

20171002-104A7661.jpg

20171011-104A7715.jpg

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Josh-O said:

cool

This came from your stock too!  Quite a speedy grower considering it was in a 5 gallon when I planted it in the summer of 2016.

I see that fairly commonly on Chamaedorea Cataractum, and other clustering/ clumping palms.  It happens on my C. Catractum fairly regularly, and it is happening on one of my larger Areca's (Dybsis Lutescens) now as well.   I think it is just something that occurs on these types of palms that has to do with how they grow.  On the D. Lutescens  It seems like you only see it on younger plants. Once they form trunks and begin upward growth  on each trunk you I don't seem to notice it anymore. 

I have a strange leaf emergant issue on a yatay mule.  It froze and spear pulled this winter and has since grown five petiole stubs.  Somehow the freeze appears to have modified the palm in a way that it no longer produces fronds.  Ive never seen this happen. 

20171013_155111.jpg

Your 'stubs' are fungus damaged, attempted fronds.  The palm should recover and produce normal fronds again.  I currently have the same problem with a Howea, although mine was fungus only for the spear pull, and not any initial frost damage.  It might be prudent to use hydrogen peroxide until normal growth returns.  :)

• Upvote 1

San Francisco, California

On 10/11/2017, 10:03:46, Tracy said:

This came from your stock too!  Quite a speedy grower considering it was in a 5 gallon when I planted it in the summer of 2016.

that palm came from me Tracy??

Can you take a picture of the leaf plane. I wonder if this was one of those hybrid upright Onilahensis I had a while back?

Sunset zone 24

On 10/13/2017, 5:09:51, Josh-O said:

that palm came from me Tracy??

Can you take a picture of the leaf plane.

Yes from you... and there are so many planes which intersect the leaf, that I believe there are infinite possibilities.  I'll consult with my son, the Algebraic Geometry Professor on that and get back with you.  In the interim, I'll provide some two dimensional representations of the leaves and you tell me if they shed any light on your inquiry.

20171015-104A7729.jpg

20171015-104A7730.jpg

20171015-104A7731.jpg

20171015-104A7733.jpg

• Upvote 1

On 10/16/2017, 9:38:00, Tracy said:

Yes from you... and there are so many planes which intersect the leaf, that I believe there are infinite possibilities.  I'll consult with my son, the Algebraic Geometry Professor on that and get back with you.  In the interim, I'll provide some two dimensional representations of the leaves and you tell me if they shed any light on your inquiry.

20171015-104A7729.jpg

20171015-104A7730.jpg

20171015-104A7731.jpg

20171015-104A7733.jpg

can you take some crown shaft close ups?

I wonder if you got one of the D. Onilahensis X lutescens when I had them available??

Sunset zone 24