IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Variegated Sabal palmetto - two Venice trees

fastfeat

Came across these two variegated S. palmetto in Venice. First is at the arboretum at West Blalock Park. Its variegation is subtle but noticeable, tho after surveying thousands of Sabal, I'd have likely missed it save for the signage.

(Guess cannot insert pics in text?)

The second, much smaller tree is what appears to be a volunteer (based on its location in the parking lot island) in an unincorporated part of Sarasota Co. It's rather more colorful, tho it has some leaf burn due to it receiving lots of reflected heat.

(See if you can figure out which is which...)

20170813_140436.jpg

20170810_202540.jpg

20170810_202523.jpg

Var2_small.jpg

Var2_leaf2_sm.jpg

• Upvote 15

SoCal and SoFla; zone varies by location.

'Home is where the heart suitcase is'...

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

Couple more pics:

Var2_leaf1_sm.jpg

Var2_tip_small.jpg

Var2_flowers_sm.jpg

• Upvote 11

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

4 hours ago, fastfeat said:

Couple more pi

Here is a pic of one that i saw on a private residence earlier this year.  

20170626_134457.jpg

• Upvote 7

On 9/3/2017, 12:21:21, dalmatiansoap said:

Beautiful! Have u collect any seeds from it?

Grabbed the few ripe ones I could get. Hope the rest get through the pending hurricane... :(

• Upvote 1

_____

On 9/3/2017, 1:54:35, topwater said:

Barely palmate seedlings are going for $500 a pop on the web. :o

Daaamn....

_____

That second palm in exceptional!!! I'm surprised it's not more burnt considering how exposed it is and the high level of varigation. Seeds from a variegated palm rarely produce variegated seedlings unfortunately. Still worth collecting as many as you can for a plant like that.

Regards Neil

• Upvote 1

• 10 months later...

The one in Blalock Park was found growing quite close to Highway 72 near Cowpen Slough. I had my eye on it for probably a decade. Then road widening started approaching and I convinced Sarasota County to transplant it to Blalock. I'm concerned that it seems to be growing less variegated with time. 

• Upvote 4

Those look crazy! Awesome! 

Edited by PalmTreeDude
Edit

PalmTreeDude

• 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...

Found this small cluster of varigated sabal palmetto in SW Florida today. Several adults and multiple juveniles growing in close proximity. I collected about 1000 seeds that I'll put in liners to see what percent are green vs varigated. I wager that a large percent will be varigated because of their close proximity to each other. There were native cabbage palms a little ways away though. The adjacent property owner knows very little about them other than that they are unusual. Unfortunately, they are all directly below high voltage electric facilities so the local utility will cut them down when they grow a little taller.

20210308_164941.jpg

20210308_165638.jpg

20210308_164950.jpg

20210308_165658.jpg

• Like 1

You are a good "not telling" person, please get these out there.  Many of us would be grateful to add to our collection.

23 hours ago, Chester B said:

You are a good "not telling" person, please get these out there.  Many of us would be grateful to add to our collection.

Benjamin Franklin knows the location.

• 2 years later...

Saw these palms today and they are beautiful(one of them is gone by the way thanks to someone who purchased it😅). My husband talk to the old man’s wife and she told him the whole story. My question is,”Why is he allowed to get free seeds from down the street for FREE and plant them but 40 years later he can’t share them with other people for Free?”😂

***no I did not get any seed😩 

Edited by GreenMamaFL