IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Great people on Palmtalk

sashaeffer

Made another road trip to San Diego area and visited Joe at Discovery Island Palms for the 3rd time and also this trip got to meet Mark of Oceanside palms and tour his garden..plus pick up a few palms as well.

This is such an amazing hobby with all the great people in it from around the world that I get to converse with and sometimes meet in person.

Joe and Mark have amazing yards and a great variety of palms for sale.

Picture is of Mark showing me around his yard. Most palms are in the ground but has some nice ones in pots as well.

IMG_3414.JPG

• Upvote 8

Where are you going to plant them?

Next time you are here, Give me a holler.  Give you a walk around the yard here and set up a couple of other private garden visits for you.

:bemused::bemused::greenthumb:

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

What an awesome collection, Scott. And all headed for NE. I admire your dedication.

• Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

1 hour ago, PalmatierMeg said:

What an awesome collection, Scott. And all headed for NE. I admire your dedication.

Thanks Meg.

10 hours ago, Hammer said:

Where are you going to plant them?

Next time you are here, Give me a holler.  Give you a walk around the yard here and set up a couple of other private garden visits for you.

My "vacation" turned out to also help my daughter move at the last minute so a great chunk of time was spent doing that. I didn't get to Joes until I was headed back to Omaha.

• 1 month later...
On 9/1/2017, 2:49:38, sashaeffer said:

My total haul this trip....23 palms

IMG_3488.JPG

YOU

ARE

NUTTY!

Like the rest of us.

Got a spot for ya in the asylum.

• Upvote 6

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

• 3 months later...

@sashaeffer how are your plants doing?

• Upvote 1

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Been a very tough winter both outdoors and In.

Struggle to keep humidity up in the house so a few have suffered. Lipstick palm going strong though and steady grower as well.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

@sashaeffer, hooray for the lipstick!

I found winter humidity to always be a problem. Dad's house would have 5% sometimes.

How about some pictures?

Sorry for the delay, I'm not getting notifications in email that I have messages.

Will get a couple of decent pics when light isn't shining right on it through the window and post here soon.

Palm sits in tub of water that I keep heated with submersible fish tank heater. I NEVER water soil from the top as it's caused issues.

IMG_3719.JPG

Edited by sashaeffer
added text
  • Upvote 2

One other maker line not showing and represents some fast growth since last June when I got it.

IMG_3720.JPG

Edited by sashaeffer
added text
  • Upvote 1

On 9/1/2017, 2:49:38, sashaeffer said:

My total haul this trip....23 palms

IMG_3488.JPG

Get help! If they were cats you could end up on Animal Cops. They should start a show called plant cops. We would all get arrested for hording.

• Upvote 1

Ed Mijares

Whittier, Ca

Psyco Palm Collector Wheeler Dealer

Zone 10a?

Good on you........you've got it bad. Passion is such a wonderful affliction. Hope summer comes early for you.

Tim

• Upvote 1

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Having zone pushed for decades in VA I appreciate the effort it takes to grow what you love. Thanks for the photos!

And Tim, I enjoyed your "passion is such a wonderful affliction" statement too. 

• Upvote 1

Cindy Adair