IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

TRACHYCARPUS NANUS

SHEP

I am lookin' for T. Nanus.  Can somebody help me out?  Prefer bigger than a 1 gallon, but, I'm ok with that.   I have with seeds developing, but, would like to get another started right away in another area.  Thank you.  Cecile

3 hours ago, Laaz said:

And, they are slooooooow... These are 12 years old from 1 gal. plants & have never flowered.

20170830_181116.jpg

Yikes!

• 3 months later...
On 8/30/2017, 2:47:52, Hillizard said:

This is one source your could try: http://www.forestfarm.com/trachycarpus-nanus-trna100 They have them for $19.95 (in "Tube Size"). But buyer beware: I understand if the plant develops any kind of trunk, it's not pure T. nanus. 

A warning/update re. the "T. nanus" I got from Forest Farm: https://www.forestfarm.com/trachycarpus-nanus-trna100  As you can see from the image below, it's developing a trunk very quickly, so it's not the "Yunnan dwarf palm" the nursery claimed. If the seed from which it originated came from China, it may well have been mislabeled, and is looking a lot like Trachycarpus "Nova" or possibly a hybrid of two species. :bummed:

Trachycarpus-unknown.jpg

• Upvote 1

• 4 years later...

I’ve ordered two of these, then found this thread. They’re on the way hopefully being 5 yrs later maybe they’ve sorted the mislabel or mis info and  I’ll have better luck… any chance this palm still around for an a update? Also found another place FarReachesFarm in Port Townsend that had 1g nanus. Ordered 2, fingers crossed between the 4 I at least get a couple real ones, even 1 would be ok considering the rarity. 

Edited by NWpalms@206

On 5/15/2022 at 1:16 PM, NWpalms@206 said:

I’ve ordered two of these, then found this thread. They’re on the way hopefully being 5 yrs later maybe they’ve sorted the mislabel or mis info and  I’ll have better luck… any chance this palm still around for an a update? Also found another place FarReachesFarm in Port Townsend that had 1g nanus. Ordered 2, fingers crossed between the 4 I at least get a couple real ones, even 1 would be ok considering the rarity. 

It’s an Ugly Palm. But it’s good for hybridizing if that’s your goal. I have a hybrid I forgot what its hybridized with Wagy? Fortunei  etc? But it’s doing well after a couple years, and not growing like a pure Wagy or Fortunei…. I think.

I have Seen two Nanus in person in Texas. One is here in my town, the other in Austin. They WILL form a rather grotesque trunk over 20-30 years a couple feet high. 

By the way, Nanus is less leaf hardy than Fortunei. 10F nearly defoliated Nanus, but Fortunei were not touched.

first Image Nanus in flower after mid to low single digits. They can switch sexes if need be.

And Nanus after 10F in Austin 

4C826813-8FC9-4237-A373-83D5FE44D406.jpeg

7004B8A1-BE45-4499-B7B3-A0BE9B28DF43.jpeg

Edited by Collectorpalms
  • Like 1

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

11 hours ago, Collectorpalms said:

It’s an Ugly Palm. But it’s good for hybridizing if that’s your goal. I have a hybrid I forgot what its hybridized with Wagy? Fortunei  etc? But it’s doing well after a couple years, and not growing like a pure Wagy or Fortunei…. I think.

I have Seen two Nanus in person in Texas. One is here in my town, the other in Austin. They WILL form a rather grotesque trunk over 20-30 years a couple feet high. 

By the way, Nanus is less leaf hardy than Fortunei. 10F nearly defoliated Nanus, but Fortunei were not touched.

first Image Nanus in flower after mid to low single digits. They can switch sexes if need be.

And Nanus after 10F in Austin 

4C826813-8FC9-4237-A373-83D5FE44D406.jpeg

7004B8A1-BE45-4499-B7B3-A0BE9B28DF43.jpeg

Definitely not the most attractive trunk but I do like the delicate blueish foliage. And I kinda have a thing for the rarer or long aging species, such as jubaea and the nanus. It’s the collector in me I suppose, and I have the time. I’ve ordered two nanus from the above mentioned nursery and found one more source for band size nanus (supposed) ill know by end of this growing season if they’re true nanus or hybrid or just flat out wrong. 

5 hours ago, Laaz said:

Hell, if you were closer I'd sell you my two Nanus. Need more room for fruit trees.

Not a size that could be root/frond wrapped and shipped in a box? They stay pretty small unless significant aged I thought… pics? Not sure how they transplant either, is a trachy though so probably fine. 

Edited by NWpalms@206

3 hours ago, Laaz said:

These are mature palms about 3 ft tall, way to big & heavy to ship.

Gotcha no worries someone local would probably want them that’s a lot of years of growing those out.

On 5/23/2022 at 12:54 PM, Chester B said:

Forest Farm is selling 1 gallons for $39 via mail order.  They are located in S OR.

https://www.forestfarm.com/trachycarpus-nanus-trna100.html

Are they the real deal?

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

10 minutes ago, Collectorpalms said:

Are they the real deal?

No idea. They’re mail order only so no visiting. 

I do know of some real nanus locally but they’re not for sale. Weird to see a Trachy under 18” flowering. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Collectorpalms said:

Are they the real deal?

That’s where the above “nova” looking fast trunking palm was labeled as nanus was from, it appears not. I have received two seedlings but they’re small and I’m already doubtful. Real Nanus are hard to find. 

3 hours ago, Chester B said:

No idea. They’re mail order only so no visiting. 

I do know of some real nanus locally but they’re not for sale. Weird to see a Trachy under 18” flowering. 

Did I see you comment somewhere that you actually made an offer on one, but were way off? The only 15g pure nanus I know of had offers for 700 and 900 turned down. Hes keeping that one. 

11 hours ago, NWpalms@206 said:

Did I see you comment somewhere that you actually made an offer on one, but were way off? The only 15g pure nanus I know of had offers for 700 and 900 turned down. Hes keeping that one. 

No, I never offered money for the nanus.  It's not a palm I'm interested in, I want big palms not dwarf ones.

17 minutes ago, Chester B said:

No, I never offered money for the nanus.  It's not a palm I'm interested in, I want big palms not dwarf ones.

Ahh My mistake, and yes I love me a big palm. I’m running out of hardy palms to buy (although most young/small) so expanding my interests! I had my pinnate phase now I’m into the palmates and the collector in me likes them all. I’ll come across one eventually, pure nanus are expensive and not really out there much. The other one I got, I believe may be hybrid. I’ll have to come visit one green world sometime they have some cool stuff! 

• Like 1

I have one from seed germinated around 2008 that has never flowered here in Gainesville, FL.  It sent up a couple of pods one year, but they never developed.  It tends to creep along the ground, but has a little above-ground trunk.  

504642CF-4EC2-49E0-ABC6-4C068A892A0D.jpeg

53D4956F-B33E-45F1-A797-6D0631F8F262.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 5/27/2022 at 2:00 PM, Bigfish said:

I have one from seed germinated around 2008 that has never flowered here in Gainesville, FL.  It sent up a couple of pods one year, but they never developed.  It tends to creep along the ground, but has a little above-ground trunk.  

504642CF-4EC2-49E0-ABC6-4C068A892A0D.jpeg

53D4956F-B33E-45F1-A797-6D0631F8F262.jpeg

Wow that’s a nice one I’d love a few of those as understory palms. They’d look real sharp under a few tall takil or Waggie.

• Like 3

On 5/27/2022 at 5:43 PM, Jesse PNW said:

https://www.farreachesfarm.com/Trachycarpus-nanus-p/p8820.htm

Edit: I haven't purchased this (yet) but can vouch for Far Reaches, they're an amazing nursery a few hours up the road and they offer many impossible-to-finds and the staff are very helpful.

I actually just received 2 a few days ago from FarReachesFarm, the only other ones I can find hoping ARE real. Although agrowing upward already it appears, at least compared to a known nanus 3g very sideways. I’ll have to give it til fall to make any kind of ID, by the first palmate frond I’ll know. 

8C21E61D-07C1-4CEC-A5AD-BE9D57538F33.jpeg

7D3F5098-2E27-4159-B3CC-7E50E143D2C4.jpeg

• Like 1

The only nanus I’ve seen in real life had a long “spine”, been growing sideways for many years. 

Those are very nice! Wow 17 yrs no flowers that’s something. Yours look very similar to the one of mine that I was debating a possible hybrid…. Sold as pure nanus maybe it is. Seems like there’s some variation some are green, some blue… some are robust thicker fronds and some are very thin and delicate looking. Mine compared to a friends, the second pic is an older flowering nanus mines about 14 and no flower yet. 

image.jpg

786F152A-0B3C-42F1-A406-F59657A94DF0.png