GottmitAlex

Coconut palms 1 year anniversary in the ground San Diego/Tijuana region

Cuckoo for coconuts

My coco's are located about 1 mile south of SDSU.

GottmitAlex, yours look great and I'm hoping mine grow like that.  Do you think we'll actually see coconuts?  I hear if there's any chance at all it happens at around 7 years or so.  My only real worry is a real cold spell in January.  I have a mango near it that's doing well and a papaya that produces nicely.  I figure the south wall and the heat sink of the walkway helps in the winter.  I don't have much else in the way of palms except a few sago's and a jelly palm I almost killed by flooding it in a tote when we removed it for more parking.

All, thank you for the advice.  

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Palmfarmer

Looks amazing! now i see where your hate for washies come from haha. Do you think they will take more winter damage once they grow over the fence? is it chilly winds in Tijuana?

GottmitAlex
17 hours ago, Palmfarmer said:

Looks amazing! now i see where your hate for washies come from haha. Do you think they will take more winter damage once they grow over the fence? is it chilly winds in Tijuana?

Thank you. Pretty sure they'll take the weather once they clear the roof/fence.  In fact, I believe it will be beneficial for the palms due to those structures are blocking their southern exposure. 

They currently are getting half of the sunlight/heat in winter they would otherwise receive without the neighbors 2nd story.

Before the neighbor constructed his second floor, I honestly had a perfect coconut infrastructure and surrounding (for my region):

The narrow garden sliver is atop the southfacing edge of a 26 ft. Rock retaining wall. Perfect drainage. Sun used to just heat the side of the wall right beneath the garden.  That's why I believe my oldest coco had a great head start compared to the others.  In fact I put the fence up to mitigate. The sunlight hitting the leaves.  This ideal setup lasted 2016 till Dec 2017.....  the sun still hits the side of the wall beneath my oldest coco. But the neighbors second story doesn't let the sun heat the remaining rock retaining wall... let's see what happens.

Cuckoo for coconuts

I think your cocos will do well and hope the same for mine. My only real worry is a super cold winter like what we had back in January of 2006.  I remember things dying here and in the valleys from that freeze.  It was a freeze apparently, not just frost.  My family was out of town at the time and my brother was house sitting and he said it was like nothing we had ever experienced before.  I remember everyone in Acapulco stunned at how cool that day was there, too.  Let's hope for no freezes and we should do fine.  Also, the old school Christmas lights worked pretty well to keep things a few degrees higher than the surroundings. 

• Like 2

GottmitAlex
2 hours ago, Cuckoo for coconuts said:

I think your cocos will do well and hope the same for mine. 

Thank you 

I as well.

Remember to give them evening showers throughout the summer and fall.

They like the humidity. (Not essential for their growth as sunlight and heat are.) However, it is a treat for them.

20200712_201810.jpg

• Like 3

GottmitAlex

Ok. No more teasers.  August 29th.....

20200714_004812.jpg

• Like 4

Mr. Coconut Palm
15 hours ago, GottmitAlex said:

Ok. No more teasers.  August 29th.....

20200714_004812.jpg

Looks Great, Alex!!!

• Like 2

Cuckoo for coconuts

I was wondering how yours are doing.  They look like they're doing really well.  Mine took off this summer, too.  

• Like 1

GottmitAlex
On 9/1/2020 at 4:47 PM, Cuckoo for coconuts said:

I was wondering how yours are doing.  They look like they're doing really well.  Mine took off this summer, too.  

Fantastic!!

Here are the coconut palms. (After misting them tonight. Expecting a record weekend heatwave.  

IMG-20200904-WA0168.jpeg

IMG-20200904-WA0175.jpeg

IMG-20200904-WA0174.jpeg

IMG-20200904-WA0172.jpeg

IMG-20200904-WA0176.jpeg

IMG-20200904-WA0170.jpeg

• Like 7

GottmitAlex

Daytime image

20200904_183930.jpg

• Like 7

PhilippineExpat

I'm glad to see they are still looking good :) Cocos are one of my favorite palms (their fronds are my favorite part) despite how common they are where I live so I'm always happy to see people who appreciate them. One of my neighbors cut a young one down that had a super thick trunk and it was so sad to see. 

• Like 1

Cuckoo for coconuts

They look great.  I've been drowning mine through the heat and the seem to like it, too.

• Like 1