IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Anybody scarify seeds?

pennerchris@gmail.com

Hey all,

I've grown a ton of trachys and filiferas from seed, and have never had good success with the former... Seems impossible to use the baggy method without fungus taking over sooner or later.

Has anyone tried to scarify the seeds of either of the aforementioned palms? I have no problem germinating the filifera seed, but I'd just like to speed up the process. Good, pure filifera seed always takes 1 month+ for me. 

Personally I have never  had to scarify Trachy seeds, if the seeds are fresh they  should germinate. What temperature are you keeping them at? If you have a fungus problem soak the seeds in a copper fungicide  for 24 hours.:greenthumb:

Germinating Trachy seeds is different than other palm species. It took me two years of trial and error to get it right but i just germinated close to 10,000 trachy seeds using the following method. Soak 2 days, clean and scarify, clean and soak 3 more days. Let dry for one day at room temperature, then sew into pots in a shaded location. As long as you have fresh seed youll get 80+% germination. 

Fresh or not i get filifera seed to germinate in 6 days.  They are by far the easiest palm seed to germinate. Here's a few one year olds hanging out. 

20170820_163913.jpg

• Upvote 2

Indeed! Here you'll need to use or the central heating or a propagator if you want to achieve any temperature higher than 22°C (72°F) for some period of time... :rolleyes:

2 a 4 weeks for Washy seeds to germinate is already a good result I might say.
Remember we're talking about palms. Not peppers :lol: 
I once had to be patient for 1,5 years ! to have a Jubaea germinating....

However, for Trachys, our climate is just perfect! No scarification needed, the real secret is that you have to conserve a temperature of maximum 22°C. Anything higher will considerably slow down the germination process! Still it aren't the quickest; anything between 2 and 6 months is quite decent. When sowing directly in the garden, you may even have to wait till the next season.

Kind regards
Niek 

20 hours ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

Germinating Trachy seeds is different than other palm species. It took me two years of trial and error to get it right but i just germinated close to 10,000 trachy seeds using the following method. Soak 2 days, clean and scarify, clean and soak 3 more days. Let dry for one day at room temperature, then sew into pots in a shaded location. As long as you have fresh seed youll get 80+% germination. 

That's interesting Joe - when you say clean and scarify I assume you mean cleaning away the thin layer of purplish black "flesh" and then scratch the brown seed to scarify?  To be honest I've only attempted to germinate a few of these and had success using the baggie method with only cleaning and soaking, but perhaps I was just fortunate.  I don't recall how long it took but your method must certainly speed up the process.  It's definitely helpful to know a tried and true method - thanks for sharing.

Jon (no longer in Corpus Christi)

Jon Sunder

It's true that the thin seed coat is believed to slow down the germination process. But the still do germinate when you leave it on.
In our colder climate in Nothern Europe it is one of the main species we cultivated on large scale, even if I do not have reached the cape of 10.000 yet :bemused: lol.
Only this year harvest on just one female did counted over 5000 seeds... you really don't want to peel all of them believe me :lol:

Foto_30-03-17_13_07_05.jpg

Freshly harvested the can be used immediately, otherwise soaking for 48h is indeed advised.
Then just sow them by many, moisten & cover up and be patient. This is one of my 2016 batches. I'll guess they're with 70-80 subject together. I'll separate them next year to accelerate their growth even if you could let them together like this for some years. I did so but don't expect too much growth than.

ps. @TexasColdHardyPalms: wow! that's some large scale propagation on that picture! Do Trachy's have any succes afterwards as they fear too much heat? Or isn't the Texas climate as hot as I think it is? ^_^

5928223b520357e7b9914601ea724401.jpg 

Kr
Niek

Removing the flesh from large quantities  of seeds is a chore, life's to short. I have used a cement mixer with some gravel in, easy peasy. :D

22 hours ago, Fusca said:

That's interesting Joe - when you say clean and scarify I assume you mean cleaning away the thin layer of purplish black "flesh" and then scratch the brown seed to scarify?  To be honest I've only attempted to germinate a few of these and had success using the baggie method with only cleaning and soaking, but perhaps I was just fortunate.  I don't recall how long it took but your method must certainly speed up the process.  It's definitely helpful to know a tried and true method - thanks for sharing.

Jon (no longer in Corpus Christi)

Correct, all of the black pulp is removed and the brown/maroon color is exposed and roughed up. This takes several weeks off of trachycarpus germination time. It is key to let the seeds air dry for a full day as they are very susceptable to rot. Ive also started to soak more of my palm seeds with captan solution and let that dry to encapsulate in fungicide like i do cycad seeds. 

3 hours ago, Jungle Jas. said:

Removing the flesh from large quantities  of seeds is a chore, life's to short. I have used a cement mixer with some gravel in, easy peasy. :D

I stopped using the cement mixer/gravel combo as it was too time consuming.  I made a custom tool that cleaned 10,000 trachy seeds in 45 minutes.  

On 8/29/2017, 4:32:28, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

Thank you! Always love your pics.

I'm gonna see if I still have some trachy seeds leftover and try this ASAP.

What's your process for germinating washy seed? I suspect lack of warmth is the reason mine take so long--I always keep them inside the house in a closet.

On 8/29/2017, 5:37:01, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

Fresh or not i get filifera seed to germinate in 6 days.  They are by far the easiest palm seed to germinate. Here's a few one year olds hanging out. 

20170820_163913.jpg

Wow!

PalmTreeDude