IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Judean Date Palm

rubyz

I have finally, following a three-week "struggle," succeeded in procuring 5 new pics of Metushellah, the "back from the extinct" Judean Date Palm germinated from a nearly 2,000 year old seed.

Dr. Elaine Solowey, the research botanist who has germinated the seed and has been nurturing the growing palm, is, shall we say, not a master of rapid electronic communications, so it took quite a bit of tactful pestering to get her into action.

The following 5 posts are all pics of the palm taken two days ago. IMHO, they are truly disappointing, in that they offer practically no visual perspective concerning height and breadth. Dr. Solowey has promised that the next set of pics will show someone standing beside the palm (such as in one of the January pics I posted in an earlier update).

I shall also add a post containing some data from Drs. Solowey and Sallon, the head of the Judean Date Project.

Reuven                                                                          

Karmiel, Israel

israel_b.gif

JudeanDate5-4.jpg

Reuven                                                                          

Karmiel, Israel

israel_b.gif

JudeanDate5-3.jpg

Reuven                                                                          

Karmiel, Israel

israel_b.gif

JudeanDate5-2.jpg

Reuven                                                                          

Karmiel, Israel

israel_b.gif

JudeanDate5-1.jpg

Reuven                                                                          

Karmiel, Israel

israel_b.gif

JudeanDate5.jpg

Reuven                                                                          

Karmiel, Israel

israel_b.gif

And now the verbal update:

Firstly, I mentioned in a recent post that Dr. Solowey had planted more seeds from the Metzadah dig. Dr. Sallon specified by mentioning that Dr. Solowey planted 8 of 15 seeds they additionally received, the remaining 7 to be planted next year. Dr. Solowey said that it should take about 6 weeks to see whether the plantings were successful.

Dr. Sallon further reports that the research paper to be submitted to Science has gone through several revisions and should be complete Any Time Now (!) She revealed that the paper is not a full-blown article, but rather an 800 word "newsbrief" designated for a specfic section in the journal. Pointing out that there is extremely tough competition in having articles putlished in Science. she mentioned that in light of a rejection, the paper would be submitted to Nature.

As for the progress of the palm itself, Dr. Sallon reports that it shows a "marked preference" for fresh water, possibly indicating that it indeed originated in one of the date palm forests in the Jordan Valley or in the Ein Gedi Oasis.

Dr. Solowey reports that the palm has been reacting very positively to the recent hot weather, and is displaying a relatively faster growth. It presently has 10 fronds, the central of which is peculiarly small, and has retained one of its juvenile leaves. The fronds have begun to spread out, reaching a breadth of about 65 centimeters, while the height is well over a meter.

As you can from the pics, the palm still resides in a pot; it seems the team is having a very difficult time deciding where to replant it. All in all, the two botanists have expressed their satisfaction with the plant's progress.

Reuven                                                                          

Karmiel, Israel

israel_b.gif

As always Reuven, thank you for the update. Can't stop thinking of the enormous passage of time & history while that seed quietly asleep.

Bret

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

thanks for the update. this palm has caight my attention over a year ago.  it is great to have updates on its progress.  

Have they any suggestions on where its finnal planting location will be?

thanks,

Luke

Luke

Tallahassee, FL - USDA zone 8b/9a

63" rain annually

January avg 65/40 - July avg 92/73

North Florida Palm Society - http://palmsociety.blogspot.com/

Thanks for the update.  The palm looks very stretched out compared to P. dactylifera, but maybe that's just because it's growing in shade?

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...

(FRITO @ May 16 2007,22:54)

thanks for the update. this palm has caight my attention over a year ago.  it is great to have updates on its progress.  

Have they any suggestions on where its finnal planting location will be?

Luke, there have been all sorts of suggestions: planting the palm on an undisclosed palm plantation on one of the cooperative farms; planting it in Dr. Solowey's experimental garden on the farm of which she is a residential member; planting it in her own private garden; planting it at one of the experimental date palm station located near the Kinneret (Sea of Galilee) and the Lebanese border.

The team has three main concerns: firstly, that they maintain personal supervision over the palm's cultivation; secondly, that the planting site not be overrun by hordes of curious publicity hounds; thirdly, that the palm not be unduly exposed to the possibilities of accidental damage.

I have a gut feeling that when all is said and done, they will plant it somewhere in Dr. Solowey's experimental garden.

Reuven                                                                          

Karmiel, Israel

israel_b.gif

(elHoagie @ May 16 2007,23:22)

Thanks for the update.  The palm looks very stretched out compared to P. dactylifera, but maybe that's just because it's growing in shade?

Well, Jack, as Dr. Solowey has reported, the fronds are beginning to spread out as part of the growth spurt due to the hotter temperatures of the season.

As far as I know, the palm hasn't been growing in the shade. Its environment at the experimental station includes special lighting, and since January, it has been taken outdoors regularly for direct exposure to the sun.

And, of course, the palm is a variety of p. dactylifera!

Reuven                                                                          

Karmiel, Israel

israel_b.gif

(quaman58 @ May 16 2007,22:15)

As always Reuven, thank you for the update. Can't stop thinking of the enormous passage of time & history while that seed quietly asleep.

Bret, there is no question that, aside from the immense significance of this as a botanic achievement in and of itself, there is a pleasing historic - and for us Israelis -national flavor of sentiment, in which this palm is a sort of additional link to our historic/geographic roots.

Reuven                                                                          

Karmiel, Israel

israel_b.gif

Dear Rubyz  :)

thanks for updating this topic.and iam closely following their

grouth.since cloning,hybridisation & genetic modification..

kind of information attracts me.

if i had completed medecine i would have got down to research in cloning of species.(though not very popular

at the moment).Frowned up for the moment.

Thanks & Love,

Kris.

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Reuven, Thanks again for the update, always enjoy reading what s new! (in growth) :D

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

(krisachar @ May 17 2007,09:04)

Dear Rubyz  :)

thanks for updating this topic.and iam closely following their

grouth.since cloning,hybridisation & genetic modification..

kind of information attracts me.

Dear Kris,

I am sure that there will be no cloning or cross breeding experiments until it can be seen whether Dr. Solowey succeeds in germinating any of the 15 other seeds that have been entrusted to her. Imagine if offspring could be produced from male and female plants cultivated from these seeds! :)

Reuven                                                                          

Karmiel, Israel

israel_b.gif

Jack - if you are out there- isnt it time we heard the pitter patter of little feet ?

Best of luck to you and L. and if poss could a middle name be perhaps Juan or Juanita ?!?

Regardez Jack Amigo

See you in CR.

Juan

Juan

Thanks for the up(date) Reuven...LOL. Hopefully, where ever they decide to plant it will be somewhere that it will be safe and happy.

I'm still amazed that it exists. I am cheering for the other seeds to germinate!

We greatly appreciate your efforts in getting the pics and news regarding this little guy!!

Wendi

"I am the Lorax, I speak for the trees!"-Dr. Seuss :P

north central east coast of Florida

halfway between Daytona and St. Augustine

15 mi inland

(wendisplantation @ May 17 2007,15:49)

I'm still amazed that it exists. I am cheering for the other seeds to germinate!

That certainly makes two of us! If there were at least two viable palms of this variety, each of a different sex...wow! :P

As soon as the article has been accepted for publication in one the the scientific journals, I will be able to start serious research on an article for Palms, with the cooperation of the scientists involved as well as the conditional approval of Dr. Dransfield.

Reuven                                                                          

Karmiel, Israel

israel_b.gif

As a somewhat related footnote to this thread, it was recently announced that the tomb of King Herod has been discovered by archeologist Ehud Netzer.

Herod was the Roman Empire's puppet king who built, among many other things, most of the Second Jewish Temple and several fortress-palaces including Metzadah, where the date seeds under discussion were discovered by archeologist Yigal Yadin. Yadin then handed them over to his assistant, Prof. Ehud Netzer, who subsequently had some of them forwarded to Dr. Sallon...

Reuven                                                                          

Karmiel, Israel

israel_b.gif

you should get the dr. to pose with her palm!!

it would be kinda cool to see her standing next to it!!

and a great size reference too!!

Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.

Abraham Lincoln

The way of the transgressor is hard

(palmotrafficante @ May 18 2007,02:05)

you should get the dr. to pose with her palm!!

it would be kinda cool to see her standing next to it!!

and a great size reference too!!

Tad, you mean something like the pic below? This was taken in January. I requested Dr. Solowey to snap another just like this one in the next series:

MetushehlahandDr.jpg

Reuven                                                                          

Karmiel, Israel

israel_b.gif

• 9 months later...

I'm attempting to bump this old thread, for those who may not have seen this facinating palm.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

• 1 month later...

Another -bump- ...interested to hear of any progress!

It is really bizarre to read in these updates of the limited support the project has over there.

zone 7a (Avg. max low temp 0 to 5 F, -18 to -15 C), hot humid summers

Avgs___Jan__Feb__Mar__Apr__May__Jun__Jul__Aug__Sep__Oct__Nov__Dec

High___44___49___58___69___78___85___89___87___81___70___59___48

Low____24___26___33___42___52___61___66___65___58___45___36___28

Precip_3.1__2.7__3.6__3.0__4.0__3.6__3.6__3.6__3.8__3.3__3.2__3.1

Snow___8.1__6.2__3.4__0.4__0____0____0____0____0____0.1__0.8__2.2

Thanks for bumping this story guys! This is such a unique story to be able to follow.

Reuven, good to see you reporting in at Palmtalk... We wondered where you had gone for a while! Thanks for keeping us posted on this unique date palm. :)

It will be very interesting to see what the taxonomists make of it in a few years when it hopefully reaches flowering stage. How distinct is it from the standard dactylifera? I guess we won't know for some years.

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Jul High 72F/22C (91F/33C Max)

Ave Jul Low 52F/11C (45F/7C Min)

Ave Jan High 46F/8C (59F/15C Max)

Ave Jan Low 34F/1C (21F/-6C Min)

Ave Rain 736mm pa

Thanks Reuven for keeping us informed. It's exciting to think of anything - especially a palm - bieng brought back from extinction!

Scott

San Fernando Valley, California

Sunset Climate Zone 18

• 5 years later...