Sign in to follow this  
garden novice

new King Sago palm foliage is yellowing

garden novice

Just planted a sago palm. We live in zones 8-11. However the soil is kind of muddy like...not wet but clumped up in a way because there was nothing planted there for a long time and the sprinkler were apparently turning on. So I planted the sago palm there about 10 days ago. I did add cactus soil. First mistake I made was I watered the foliage. Apparently, that is a no no.. Bought a soil moisture and ph meter. It is most/wet all the time and ph is very alkaline. Next thing I did was I added peat moss. It has been about 5 days since I added peat moss. The foliage, to me atleast, is still yellowing.... Any advise?n Should I take it back out and put it in a pot and try to revive it? I don't want to stress it more out.

PalmatierMeg

Please post photos.

You may already know this but sagos are cycads, not palms. And you will probably get more responses if you post this topic in the Other Tropicals subforum, with photos of course. There are many cycad lovers on this forums, too.

Welcome to PalmTalk. Stick around and contribute.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• Rd003
      By Rd003
      I was looking at one of my queen palms today and it looks like the newest leaves are coming out in a slightly smaller and more chlorotic form. My Queens have never had a nutrient deficiency or frizzletop since they were planted in 1994 (very lucky for a South Floridian). The leaves do not seem to show signs of a frizzletop like Mn deficiency... any thoughts? If it is a nutrient deficiency, is there a way to increase soil pH or permanently resolve an issue like that without using chemical fertilizers or making the palms dependent on external help to grow properly?

• GaDawg
      By GaDawg
      I have quite a few palms I’ve transplanted the last couple years. And, most of them are doing great,  and I expect they’ll look even better the second year as the roots have grown enough to support them.
      I usually add Fertilome Root Stimulator (4-10-3) directly after transplanting and fertilize them every three months with Scott’s Palm and Ornamental slow release fertilizer (8-4-8)every 3-4 months. In the spring- usually the end of February,  because spring arrives early here is southeast Georgia- I’ll add Vigrio (sp) fast release pelletized fertilizer and I also add it in the middle of the summer. 
      Last year I saw a FB ad selling two windmill palms for $20 each. I couldn’t resist, so I loaded my trailer up, dug them up and planted them in a part-shade/part sun area in the yard. Down here, full sun doesn’t do these guys any favors. After transplanting them in April, the older leaves started to yellow. I figured that the new growth would be greener, and it was. Now it seems all the leaves are on the yellow side. I thought this might be because of the  cooler weather. However, they are also planted in an area that receives a lot of water, a lot more than any of my other palms. It does drain off, but I’m wondering if the nutrients are leaching; the soil is loamy on the sandy side. 
      What are some fast acting, immediate release fertilizers you guys have experience with? 
    • mdsonofthesouth
      By mdsonofthesouth
      I know I know they aren't palms! But still cold hardy testing none the less lol. So far these have seen 19F, many low to mid 20s for lows at night and even 36 hours bellow freezing! Might as well document these while we are having this well bellow average false winter....errrr Fall. 

Here they are right before our first dip in the teens. Filmed around November 20th

Here they are this AM.

ZERO protection from our weather and so surprising that the little guys are still doing so well. Hoping they pull through to spring as Id love to have a set of these in the garden. 
    • mdsonofthesouth
      By mdsonofthesouth
      Here is the curling trachycarpus, dying yucca gloriosa and others. Can't wait to put them in the ground!

• RobustaEnvirons
      By RobustaEnvirons
      Hello everyone! I've recently started to notice that the leaves of my potted Washy are yellowing and browning. I live in Toledo Ohio and so I can only keep my Washies outdoors in the warm months of April-September. This particular washy was steaming along nicely all warm season. I had to bring it inside the house around the final week or so of September-early October. I keep it in my South-Southwest facing bay window and its got a heater duct below it on the floor (below the ledge).
      This washy was doing very well up until about a week or so ago. I had to snip off its oldest leaf because that leaf had yellowed at the tip and finally completely turned brown. That wasn't unexpected since it was the oldest leaf and I knew it was on the way out. But, within the last 5-7 days I've noticed that now 2 of the other larger leaves are turning yellow (and probably soon brown). This is alarming to me, seeing as nothing in their environment has changed other the amount of available sunshine per day. I water them once every 2-3 weeks and I've been sure to keep them hydrated. I let it dry out between watering. Our house is always between 73F-78F day & night without letup. So I think I've covered all the bases on its requirements. The middle most sphere is green and lively, and also the second-most and third-most leaf is vibrant too. But, its just the two oldest leaves are now taking their turns dying off. Its a shame since it was thriving and put all these leaves out over the course of the spring/summer. 
      The only thing I can think of is that the palm can get enough food from the sunshine to maintain the large leaves. This I can do little about if its truly the cause. We now only are getting 2-3 days a week of sunshine since its Fall/Winter. Since I live with family, I don't have the means of using a sunlamp (my grandma won't allow it). But, I don't know what else to consider. Its been trucking along very nicely right up past Thanksgiving (the next day I snipped off the dead oldest leaf, leaving the leaf-base). I only really noticed that the two leaves are yellowing today honestly. I just leave it sit on my bay-window and it normally prospers nicely. My other smaller washy that I sprouted from seed back in late July is thriving right next to this larger one (its got no signs of yellowing at all).
      Is this just a case of the palm trying to balance out its metabolism with the available daily sunshine and its leaves? 
      I've provided pictures of all its leaves and various angles too.