IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

weedwhacker

Hi,

I live in SoCal and recently transplanted an already pruned, 10ft Canary Island Date Palm. I'd done a lot of research about how to dig out the rootball, prepare the new hole, etc. We saved as much of the rootball as we could, over a foot out from the trunk all around.

I'm watering her 2x a week (soaking the area around the tree - used to water 1x day in the beginning, then every other day etc), the soil is well drained and part washed sand, she's been in the ground for 2 1/2 months and is definitely growing new fronds in the center. A couple of weeks ago, I used some slow-release palm fertilizer.

However, since a couple of weeks after the transplant, the outermost ring of fronds has died after browning. I thought, OK, some rootball was naturally a bit damaged.

Unfortunatley, the next ring of fronds has also slowly started to brown and die and I noticed that the tips of fresher fronds have also turned a bit brown. Now I'm worried that the tree might not make it. 

Can the experts here take a look at these pictures and let me know if my treed is doomed? - Is there anything I can do differently to stop the browning?

2017-08-20 14.37.51.jpg

2017-08-20 14.37.59.jpg

2017-08-20 14.38.14.jpg

• Upvote 4

It looks good to me. It'll look scraggly for several months though. Cooler temperatures in winter might help it.

If it has been two months and the center spear is moving for sure then it will make it. These usually kick the bucket in the first 30days after being dug. 

Thanks guys, that's music to my ears. The center definitely is growing new fronds at a healthy pace. You can't tell from the pcitures but I had just started to get a sense that the outer ones were dying a bit faster. Prior to taking these photos, I'd just cut off 10 or 11 dead outer fronds. If the tree makes it, I'm hoping the trunk isn't going to be awkwardly thin at this particular height once the tree recovers...

• 2 months later...

So it appears as if my CIPD might have kicked the bucket after all. Is this a lost case or should I keep watering it?

Over the last several weeks even the new fronds turned gray-ish fairly quickly and is looking pretty sad. I'd been flooding the area around the trunk about once or twice a week but maybe it just didn't have the energy to grow a lot of new roots and I can't be watering a drought hardy plant every other day.  

2017-10-27 12.11.50.jpeg

Dear Niko,

Yes the palm is showing signs of decline.This palm seems to be dug up,transported and replanted in a rash and hurried manner.

And for a trunk of that size a minimum of 2 and half to 3 feet of root ball with lots of soil sticking to it is a must.So the palm is stressed And stressed palm does not need root flooding.i.e deep watering twice a week.Most of the existing roots also could have rotted in that process.

Now the only solution seems to be using broad spectrum fungicide 3 teaspoon diluted in one and half litre of water and poured in the area of soil housing the root ball..

Water the palm gently every alternate days just to keep the top soil moist if you are experiencing dry climate.If its cool 3 days once watering will do.

The chances of the palm pulling though is thin.

By the way you could have gone in for nursery grown palm of that size..since they are grown ready to be transported to any location.And you can even see wheather they are healthy and pure ones.You have the option of selecting a male or a female cidp.

A request to all members is kindly support your nearest palm nurseries and buy ready made ones than growing from seed the common palm varieties. And waiting for that palm sapling taking ages to grow.

Love,

Kris.

• Upvote 1

love conquers all..

43278.gif

First of all, thanks for everyone's input. Being the amateur that I am, I realize that I might have misused the term "flooding" above. When I watered my tree, I never root-flooded, I just watered with the garden hose around the trunk for several minutes. Prior to moving the tree, I'd done a lot of reading and prepared the hole itself for water to drain quickly to avoid root rot, as well. With that said, did it contract Fusarium Wilt? - The leaves didn't start browning on one side first but I spread bark around the trunk to avoid water to evaporate too quickly. 

I'll try a fungizide but haven't seen any new leaves grow at all, so I'm not postiive that I can still save this thing. @Kris, a new CIDP this size from the nursery in a pot costs about $3500 US over here so that wasn't really an option.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, weedwhacker said:

I'll try a fungizide but haven't seen any new leaves grow at all, so I'm not postiive that I can still save this thing. @Kris, a new CIDP this size from the nursery in a pot costs about $3500 US over here so that wasn't really an option.

Okay,I got your point.

love conquers all..

43278.gif