IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Growing rare Licuala species

Missi

If you have grown these species, please share their likes, dislikes, your photos, etc.

Edited by Missi

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

Hi Missi,

Which species? I grow probably 50 species or more!  This is one of my favorite genus of palms by far! All I can say is, try to come to my upcoming Extravaganza Sale in early October. You will be amazed what I have to offer.

Jeff

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Missi,

Jeff is the Licuala guru. I bought my Licuala grandis from him some years ago and this variety is one of my personal favorites. They are slow growers but worth the wait. I will post some shots of this palm.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

What you look for is what is looking

Snicker....... that made me laugh! Was looking hard for that Licuala though. 

Tim

• Upvote 4

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

I've grown  malajana & parviflora in pots and they've done well. Grandis does okay. I've got a distans from last spring's Palm Beach sale, also in a pot. L. spinosa grows in a downtown Ft. Myers palm park. Fordiana is a beautiful dark green and survived several years before succumbing. I'd like to try it again. Same for cabalionii. But skip triphylla, which is a darling small palm. Every one I ever tried spiraled downhill the moment they arrived from HI. And Licuala Mapu was a total and expensive bust for me that my husband never lets me forget. If you gotta have one, bite the bullet and buy a fullsized one, not a tiny seedling.

If you want to see rare palms that grow in S. FL go to one of Jeff Searle's Extravaganzas. Palm overload. You'll have a blast. I went 2x per year until I was laid off from my job and lost discretionary income. Also, the Palm Beach Palm & Cycad Sales at Mounts Botanical Garden are also great but further away from you.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Growing Lics from seeds can be frustrating. I bought expensive seeds of bidentata and bintulensis from Germany and had one sprout of each after waiting two years. Still waiting on valida and terengannuensis after two years. I have collected fresh seeds locally of elegans (peltata v. sumawonga) and distans. Had one new sprout of elegans every six months for two years, none yet of distans after a year and a half. On the other hand, I had such huge, fairly fast germination of lauterbachii, kunstleri, and naumannii that I will be begging people to take them. When possible, I buy seedlings from Floribunda (let Jeff deal with the frustration). If plane travel weren't so expensive, I would like to check out the selection offered by the other Jeff in Florida.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Mike Merritt

Big Island of Hawaii, windward, rainy side, 740 feet (225 meters) elevation

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.

We visited Jeff's place during the 2012 biennial and that was quite an introduction to some rare Licuala. The stuff in the shade house makes one change their mind about adding more to their collections. (Not withstanding the hospitality of Searle Bros.)

Thanks for the photos Bubba, let's see more!

Tim

• Upvote 1

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

2 hours ago, Jeff Searle said:

Hi Missi,

Which species? I grow probably 50 species or more!  This is one of my favorite genus of palms by far! All I can say is, try to come to my upcoming Extravaganza Sale in early October. You will be amazed what I have to offer.

Jeff

Attending an epic Searle sale is on my to-do list! I would be on the hunt for mottled/colored/funky-looking under story species that stay relatively small. Copernicia as well! I always look forward to the photo posts here post-sale! haha 

I just got 4 incers of cordata, orbicularis, and sallehana. Having troubles finding much cultivation info on them. I also acquired distans seedlings. I have 2 ramsayi. I need 'Sumawongii' - completely looked-over that at a Fairchild sale a couple years ago, but my friend snagged one :rant: I killed my Mapu this past spring by over-fertilizing it after it came through winter okay. What else do I need? Very open to suggestions! B)

1 hour ago, bubba said:

IMG_0722.thumb.JPG.87190492746eb58484b48

1 hour ago, bubba said:

IMG_0773.thumb.JPG.7edc87078c8d26eeaa38b

DANG! How old are those beauties?

1 hour ago, bubba said:

OOPS

LOLOL

1 hour ago, realarch said:

Snicker....... that made me laugh! Was looking hard for that Licuala though. 

Tim

ME TOO!! :lol: Then I was like, wait just a darn second...:hmm::rolleyes:

19 minutes ago, PalmatierMeg said:

I've grown  malajana & parviflora in pots and they've done well. Grandis does okay. I've got a distans from last spring's Palm Beach sale, also in a pot. L. spinosa grows in a downtown Ft. Myers palm park. Fordiana is a beautiful dark green and survived several years before succumbing. I'd like to try it again. Same for cabalionii. But skip triphylla, which is a darling small palm. Every one I ever tried spiraled downhill the moment they arrived from HI. And Licuala Mapu was a total and expensive bust for me that my husband never lets me forget. If you gotta have one, bite the bullet and buy a fullsized one, not a tiny seedling.

If you want to see rare palms that grow in S. FL go to one of Jeff Searle's Extravaganzas. Palm overload. You'll have a blast. I went 2x per year until I was laid off from my job and lost discretionary income. Also, the Palm Beach Palm & Cycad Sales at Mounts Botanical Garden are also great but further away from you.

Yep, this past spring I killed a seedling Mapu by over-fertilizing it with Palm Gain. I got it through winter and everything...I kill it by over-fertilizing it! Freaking idiot!! It's Nutricote and kelp only for me from now on! I definitely want palm overload! Maybe this year will be the year I finally get over there! 

licuala do great for me here in naples altho I don't have any of the really rare ones

• Upvote 1

Maybe a real tropical humid climate like in Sri Lanka where Licuala grandis can become a weed makes it easier:

P1060601.thumb.JPG.67fa7d8684ab0b15b6a7dP1060603.thumb.JPG.0bd182fd3ce3cd6604492P1060717.thumb.JPG.45723c77c7be9e6178a52

• Like 3
  • Upvote 11

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

I don't know why I said distans in my above comment. I don't have that one, but I will some day.

I meant L. paludosa (aurantiaca), not distans. :wacko:

17 hours ago, doranakandawatta said:

Maybe a real tropical humid climate like in Sri Lanka where Licuala grandis can become a weed makes it easier:

P1060601.thumb.JPG.67fa7d8684ab0b15b6a7dP1060603.thumb.JPG.0bd182fd3ce3cd6604492P1060717.thumb.JPG.45723c77c7be9e6178a52

Braggart!! :P:wub:

Missi,

If you ever have some questions in regards to growing different Licualas, don't hesitate to contact me. Lord knows I've killed my fare share too! Lol.

And thank you for all the kind comments above.

Jeff

• Upvote 1

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

• 1 month later...

Welp, my orbicularis died a while back. It was just a tiny plant, as is my cordata, which is getting a spreading brown tip on its newest leaf. I guess it's not getting enough humidity? My other plants aren't fussing about humidity and I have a bunch of Pinanga and 3 Joey species. Hmm? The sallehana right next to it seems to be doing fine. I'll have a fit if anything happens to the sallehana. I really love the look of that palm. 

I'm hoping to hear from those with sallehana growing experience. Are they less fussy than orb. and cord.? Please share tips and stories on growing sallehana. Mine has about 5 little strap leaves and is in a 4" pot.

EDIT: Oh, and I stupidly ordered a Mapu last night for a second try. This is a decent-sized young plant compared to my first one, though. So I'm hopeful.

Jeff have you had Licuala thoana tolerate any wintery weather at all ? Is it just as tender as L.grandis ? regards Kris

On 10/29/2017, 4:50:38, KrisKupsch said:

Licuala thoana 

Now that's a cool palm! :drool: I need one! Where can I get one? :interesting:

• Upvote 1

I’ve been surprised by my L. grandis, it’s been much faster than I expected, and no such thing as too much heat or humidity,which is a boon in my sunroom. 

66D6EDCD-ACE4-4A42-A78B-76DCC0593F02.jpeg

3A6B17EC-612C-4E9E-9CE5-A69697B3D2C2.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

• 1 month later...

On 10/30/2017, 1:13:19, topwater said:

I’ve been surprised by my L. grandis, it’s been much faster than I expected, and no such thing as too much heat or humidity,which is a boon in my sunroom. 

66D6EDCD-ACE4-4A42-A78B-76DCC0593F02.jpeg

3A6B17EC-612C-4E9E-9CE5-A69697B3D2C2.jpeg

That grandis is nice! I have not had a lot of luck with those. They seem very cold sensitive to me. 

Tracy

Stuart, Florida

Zone 10a

So many palms, so little room

On 10/26/2017, 1:40:32, Missi said:

Welp, my orbicularis died a while back. It was just a tiny plant, as is my cordata, which is getting a spreading brown tip on its newest leaf. I guess it's not getting enough humidity? My other plants aren't fussing about humidity and I have a bunch of Pinanga and 3 Joey species. Hmm? The sallehana right next to it seems to be doing fine. I'll have a fit if anything happens to the sallehana. I really love the look of that palm. 

I'm hoping to hear from those with sallehana growing experience. Are they less fussy than orb. and cord.? Please share tips and stories on growing sallehana. Mine has about 5 little strap leaves and is in a 4" pot.

EDIT: Oh, and I stupidly ordered a Mapu last night for a second try. This is a decent-sized young plant compared to my first one, though. So I'm hopeful.

Per missi's request -Any experience out there with salehana? I too would like to hear about your experiences. 

• Upvote 1

Tracy

Stuart, Florida

Zone 10a

Missi,

The tall Licuala grandis are plentiful in the Anne Norton Sculpture Garden and other gardens in the PB area. The history of ANSG commenced in 1947. The Norton Art Gallery is up the street. I believe it is likely that Henry Norton and David Fairchild had contact based upon their similar interest. I would guess that a number of these tall Licuala grandis in this area could be as old as 60 plus years in age.

Interestingly, the specimens in this area survived the 2010 cold period. Many of these specimens experienced more difficulty further south. An update on the status of the Licuala grandis in the areas to the south since the 2010 cold episode would be appreciated.

• Upvote 2

What you look for is what is looking

On ‎10‎/‎29‎/‎2017‎ ‎4‎:‎50‎:‎38‎, KrisKupsch said:

Jeff have you had Licuala thoana tolerate any wintery weather at all ? Is it just as tender as L.grandis ? regards Kris

I have some of these, but their not quite big enough to plant out yet. They have experienced mid to upper 30's I believe.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

On ‎12‎/‎23‎/‎2017‎ ‎10‎:‎30‎:‎39‎, Tracy S said:

Per missi's request -Any experience out there with salehana? I too would like to hear about your experiences. 

I've been collecting these ever since they have become available. Probably 7 or 8 years now. They do very well in containers. I made a new section in the yard last year where I dedicated it to all species of Licualas. I have planted 5 Licuala sallehanas in a group, and their all doing great.

• Upvote 2

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Thanks for the info Jeff. Would love to see  some photos of your licuala section if you have some. You must have been one of the first to have this plant here. Are you taking them inside for the cold weather? If so, what temps do you protect them for?

Has anyone tried these in the ground?

• Upvote 1

Tracy

Stuart, Florida

Zone 10a

• 2 years later...
On 8/27/2017 at 3:49 AM, Jeff Searle said:

Missi,

If you ever have some questions in regards to growing different Licualas, don't hesitate to contact me. Lord knows I've killed my fare share too! Lol.

And thank you for all the kind comments above.

Jeff

Hello Jeff. I start growing my l.orbicularis in my room. Humidity is non stop 70% but edges are drying. Also i noticed that some new seedlings they are not opening their leaves and become dry,like brown matches

Do you have an idea what is wrong with them?

Thanks

Thomas

20201123_205045.jpg

20201123_230133.jpg

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Brad52 said:

Would members of this genus tolerate full sun in East HI?  Perhaps starting out this time of year?

Most can less some of the more rare species...  Licuala spinosa is way less fussy and can handle lots more exposure than L. cordata... hard to say.  Best to get them up to size in protected conditions and bring them into more exposure slowly.  Which species you thinking about?

17 hours ago, Thomas The Gardener said:

Hello Jeff. I start growing my l.orbicularis in my room. Humidity is non stop 70% but edges are drying. Also i noticed that some new seedlings they are not opening their leaves and become dry,like brown matches

Do you have an idea what is wrong with them?

Thanks

Thomas

Looks like dampening off.  Fungal related and not freely drained soil.  Yours are probably beyond repair.  Licuala always trick my grower's mind...  They can handle drier soil conditions than I expect since they look so tropical...  Hope that makes sense.

9 hours ago, PatientPalms said:

Most can less some of the more rare species...  Licuala spinosa is way less fussy and can handle lots more exposure than L. cordata... hard to say.  Best to get them up to size in protected conditions and bring them into more exposure slowly.  Which species you thinking about?

I like the look of all I've seen in this genus, so I would want to steer away from the ones that would not enjoy the exposure here.  So far I've burned the heck out of a coconut I moved from the middle of glory bush to full sun but I expected that, a couple of sun tolerant nursery palms also burned as they were not acclimated to full sun but new leaves of course on all of these are fine.

• Upvote 1

On 11/24/2020 at 10:54 AM, PatientPalms said:

Looks like dampening off.  Fungal related and not freely drained soil.  Yours are probably beyond repair.  Licuala always trick my grower's mind...  They can handle drier soil conditions than I expect since they look so tropical...  Hope that makes sense.

I have lost a cordata seedling like that. As long as I kept her covered with a plastic glass the leaf opened up and seemed recovered, but as soon I took it off to get her some fresh air the leaf closed up like she would be freezing. At that time I did not know about their high humidity needs. She did not survive and I believe  only 1 tiny little root after 1 year was not enough for survival. The sister seedling does better, has now its 4th leaf in 1 year what is surprising, I am very cautious with it and try not to move at all. I won't repot her for yrs to come, she is in a 1/2 gal pot and I  had no idea they were so delicate and slow growing.

• Upvote 1