IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Some Cocos nucifera here on Miyako island - south Japan

palmfriend

Hello everyone,

since we haven`t had any typhoon until now - official typhoon season is from April until the end of October -

our coconut palms are still looking a little bit more beautiful than usual...(no storm damages yet)

So I thought, why not taking some photos before the first typhoon approaches and showing some of the trees

to the palm community I am enjoying almost every day when going back and forth from work, my kid`s kindergarden

& school, supermarket etc.

If you are interested, lay back and enjoy:

020x.thumb.jpg.d2633132e2b3106664a9bfab7

Passing this one every time I go to work, I almost cannot remember ever having seen it with a full crown like now.

021x.thumb.jpg.f47ffd64c82fe54ae0b2d4fb4

Same road, so same every-day-experience with this one - a little bit hard to acces but I will be there if some of its coconut will drop (maybe during a typhoon B))

022x.thumb.jpg.970e98b7f01065271d372eb45

These ones are on a Budhist temple area I haven`t accessed yet - usually those places are very well taken care of - some of them are open to the public,

others are not. One day I will know.

023x.thumb.jpg.cde037c6cb23ab3c4156ca859

Here are some coconut palms somewhere in the middle of our only city Hirara - they are just there, planted

on purpose or not - I can`t tell. But they are beautiful...

024x.thumb.jpg.cec1c8d23b1089cc6cfaa022a

...and "heavily loaded"....

025x.thumb.jpg.4e790a76beecb7d0c9144c8f9

Same area, a nicely curved green one.

026x.thumb.jpg.59e79123518a93afc9b6908cf

This one must have been there for decades, in a small parking area of a baseball training ground...

027x.thumb.jpg.c2e936d2d918c5c03bce5522e

Some one, different angle - the trunk`s base looks like a thousand years old.

029x.thumb.jpg.c1ce80d0aa7d3229c569a6895

While moving to the harbour area, another beauty shows up (I have already photographed this one a year ago, but I couldn`t resist)...

- photo was taken out of the car while waiting for the green traffic light.

030x.thumb.jpg.c7e9c4df67b6e661f9dcbe749

Same one, after stopping and leaving the car.

031x.thumb.jpg.10ce7c5c43cefe72576ee3180

In close range to the sea - in the background - a beautifully curved cocos nucifera.

Unfortunately there was no way of taking a better picture without penetrating someone`s private property...

032x.thumb.jpg.55307f71b6782e7f1d7db4934

Some one again - I just somehow tried to get this beauty into a good frame...

033x.thumb.jpg.1da9e5f2c0996755a6dcac718

Here, a last one, down on the coastal road in front of a diving shop.

All right, there are plenty more but I was running out of time but I think I got some nice ones for the moment -

I hope you liked it.

Finally, after being home again I gave myself a push and did something for Miyako`s "coconut population"...

034x.thumb.jpg.d12697c525e26d167631f641a

I planted one of my own babies out. :wub: ("Grow well, little one!")

best regards -

Lars

• Upvote 11

Your pics forced me to learn a little geography. I was unaware the small islands east of taiwan were japanese territory. 

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

Your pics forced me to learn a little geography. I was unaware the small islands east of taiwan were japanese territory. 

Joseph,

the group of islands between Japan and Taiwan are the Okinawa prefecture with its main island "Okinawa" in the northern

part of the island chain. Okinawa was an independent trade empire once - called "Ryukyu" - but became part of Japan 

during the second half of the 19th century.

Climatically it is a quite interesting region: we have long and very warm - but "not super hot" - summers and relatively mild/

warm winters - never seen any freezes over here.

The northern area including the Okinawian main island might be seen as the Florida of Japan while the southern islands

(Miyako, Ishigaki and Iriomote) are more similar to the Keys - very roughly spoken.

I am trying to grow different species from imported seeds - I have got some potted Cyrtostachys renda (still very young) and

a Pigafetta elata (planted out a year ago), just to name two of them, I am giving regular updates here on pt - please check

my other threads, if you are interested.

best regards -

Lars

• Upvote 1

Good Luck with the little Cocos Lars!  May he grow to be as gorgeous as those other swaying beauties you shared from that beautiful island. They sure do look lush, full and green, so far being spared typhoons.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, ChrisA said:

Good Luck with the little Cocos Lars!  May he grow to be as gorgeous as those other swaying beauties you shared from that beautiful island. They sure do look lush, full and green, so far being spared typhoons.

Chris,

Thank you very much!

It is very likely that we will be hit by a typhoon directly or having one passing close by during the next weeks - most typhoons emerge in

September - so I will definitely keep a closer eye on my "youngest one". Unfortunately right after the typhoon season ends, the temperatures

drop slowly and the level of humidity decreases as well - because winter is approaching - and that impedes a quick recover of the damaged trees.

Last year we had no typhoon in our closer area and that might explain our currently very nice looking palms - I really hope we will be lucky

this year again.

All right, here another one, taken today during sunset...

041x.thumb.jpg.0e4d92db0adadf0fb14b51671

best regards -

Lars

• Upvote 4

I did not know that Japanese Islands went that far south either! Nice Coconuts. Do they grow naturally there?

PalmTreeDude

Great shots, Lars. Someday I'll take a weekend and come see them for myself. You'll have to find us some seeds to, um, borrow, so I can set them free in Shimoda.

JT

• Upvote 1

Shimoda, Japan, Lat: 36.6N, Long: 138.8

Zone 9B (kinda, sorta), Pacific Coast, 1Km inland, 75M above sea level
Coldest lows (Jan): 2-5C (35-41F), Hottest highs (Aug): 32-33C (87-91F)

On 2017/8/25 6:51:41, ChrisA said:

Very nice photo! Thank you!

What are winter temps like down there?  

Chris,

average winter temps are around 19 C/67F but usually just on days with northern winds. We easily have 23C/73F up to 27C/80F on sunny days,

- sometimes for two weeks or longer - on cold days we have 14C/57 (which don`t last for long), on very cold days 12C/54F (max. one day -

we had it last time two years ago) and the coldest temperatures I experienced here was 9C/49F for a couple of hours, four or five years ago.

As I mentioend in another thread, the surrounding sea temperatures never drops below 20C/68F- the moment, the wind from the north

stops, the air warms up immediately.

14 hours ago, JT in Japan said:

Great shots, Lars. Someday I'll take a weekend and come see them for myself. You'll have to find us some seeds to, um, borrow, so I can set them free in Shimoda.

JT

JT,

I am glad you glad you liked it!

No worries about the coconuts - one of my own palms is starting to fruit! If you want to find some by yourself, winter time is the best - deserted

beaches with always a few or more coconuts washed ashore.

Btw. there is an Indian Food Shop (online sell) in Tokyo - just google with "Coconut fruits Japan" or something like that - they offer coconuts

from India. I am already thinking about to order some of them, just for the fun to try to grow one (from India!) down here.

On 2017/8/25 11:12:23, PalmTreeDude said:

I did not know that Japanese Islands went that far south either! Nice Coconuts. Do they grow naturally there?

PTD,

we are not even the most southern ones - please check the "Ogasawara islands" (home of the Clinostigma savoryanum!).

Regarding your question - please check my new thread "Do Cocos nucifera grow naturally on Miyako - south Japan?",

coming up soon.

best regards

Lars

• Upvote 1