doranakandawatta

Hydriastele microcarpa

doranakandawatta

We got seedlings in august 2013, and still I am looking forward to seeing a more adult form of this species.

Nice colored new leaf which I can see for the first time.

P1060583.thumb.JPG.61290acdf39f73241344cP1060584.thumb.JPG.7db5d7483e57802f7ea62P1060664.thumb.JPG.83a1a2971bc67dbe80259

• Upvote 1

mike in kurtistown

Here you go, Philippe:

598a331613131_Hydriastelemicrocarpa_1_ML

598a331a2138d_Hydriastelemicrocarpa_2_ML

Orange 5-gal bucket provides scale. Seeds from RPS in March 2006. Four planted out between June and August 2015. Full sun locations. Growth has been rapid.

Daryl

Here's a couple of photos I took back at the Thailand Biennial at Nong Nooch

A beautiful palm...does pretty well here too...my young one is a good grower.

Daryl

DSC_9750-001.jpg

DSC_0316.jpg

Daryl

DSC_9750.thumb.jpg.0ba20ca4b118087aae844

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

doranakandawatta
1 hour ago, Daryl said:

DSC_9750.thumb.jpg.0ba20ca4b118087aae844

Nice picture !

From juvenile to adult forms, clumping or solitary trunking forms, I still wonder what is an Hydriastele microcarpa !

Jeff_Cabinda

The slender shape and unusual leaves obviously give a nice texture to the garden. Thanks.

Hilo Jason
On 8/8/2017 at 11:57 AM, mike in kurtistown said:

Here you go, Philippe:

598a331613131_Hydriastelemicrocarpa_1_ML

598a331a2138d_Hydriastelemicrocarpa_2_ML

Orange 5-gal bucket provides scale. Seeds from RPS in March 2006. Four planted out between June and August 2015. Full sun locations. Growth has been rapid.

Bump and question for Mike if he sees this.  

I was wondering if these palms you showed above were suckering at a small size.  I have 3 of them in 1 gallon pots that I am planting out very soon.  All 3 of mine are solitary so I'm wondering if they will remain that way or if they could possibly still sucker.  They are about 18" tall at this point.  Thanks in advance. 

John hovancsek

I have put 2 in ground and both are growing good for me but no sign of cluttering.  I kinda hope they are the single specimen 

20191020_071937.jpg

mike in kurtistown

Jason, 

I have pictures of the plants in 2-gal pots from Dec 2014 six months before I planted them. The main stems were already pretty large and there were many suckers on each plant. I don't remember the development before that.

868971126_Hydriastelemicrocarpum_MLM_123014.thumb.JPG.1fbe3664808bd64c8b871634430c74d2.JPG

Hilo Jason
2 hours ago, mike in kurtistown said:

Jason, 

I have pictures of the plants in 2-gal pots from Dec 2014 six months before I planted them. The main stems were already pretty large and there were many suckers on each plant. I don't remember the development before that.

868971126_Hydriastelemicrocarpum_MLM_123014.thumb.JPG.1fbe3664808bd64c8b871634430c74d2.JPG

Thanks Mike. I appreciate it. 

Hilo Jason
14 hours ago, John hovancsek said:

I have put 2 in ground and both are growing good for me but no sign of cluttering.  I kinda hope they are the single specimen 

20191020_071937.jpg

Did yours come from Floribunda?

here are the 3 that I got from there. 

C2D7F742-F787-451C-985A-CB84FE918E93.thumb.jpeg.e72812ef129b9870af39b0160060c097.jpeg

There’s a picture on Palmpedia from Floribunda of a very nice looking solitary version that might be the parent plant of these. 

John hovancsek
12 hours ago, Hilo Jason said:

Did yours come from Floribunda?

here are the 3 that I got from there. 

C2D7F742-F787-451C-985A-CB84FE918E93.thumb.jpeg.e72812ef129b9870af39b0160060c097.jpeg

There’s a picture on Palmpedia from Floribunda of a very nice looking solitary version that might be the parent plant of these. 

Yes mine did. I will find out and get to the bottom of this. I really prefer the single 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      The sun is still ferocious and days usually sweltering but north and east breezes carry a whiff of cooler, drier days on the horizon. Another 4-5 weeks and the rainy season spigot abruptly shuts off. I do most of my yard work in the fall, winter and early spring trying to catch up with growth in overdrive from summer. Yesterday I decided to make a photo update of my tropical container garden on the back lanai. Last month I did battle with a mealybug infestation on some of my Chamaedoreas using two spray bottles of insecticidal soap and imidicloprid drench. Yesterday I found scale starting to invade - more insecticidal soap. Come early Nov. I will proactively go after spider mites with one of my two miticides. Right now all my uber tropical potted palms are at their peak glory.
      Among the palms featured below are two that have lost their tags and need an expert ID. Please help me find out who they are.
      First Photo: a view of the length of the lanai looking east. I keep the birdcage covered with two layers of commercial grade shadecloth to protect the palms inside.

One palm in particular inspired this photo essay: Pinanga cochinchinensis. I've had a checkered history with Pinangas. I love them but so often they cling to life for me, then give up and die. I'm so delighted this handsome clumper has hung in and actually grew to about 6' tall. I recently moved it to a larger pot because the wind kept blowing it over.

Areca catechu Dwarf - This is my oldest surviving dwarf Areca and the only large one kept on the lanai. The rest stay outdoors.

Johannesteijsmannia altifrons - my larger of two. Both have done well for me. I have repotted them once with great trepidation because they are quite root sensitive but they took the disruption in stride. I've had no luck growing any of the other Joey species.

Ravenea hildebrandtii

Heterospathe salomonensis

The genus Dypsis has scores of species. Many, but not all, prefer the mediterranean climate in CA, as opposed to the sweltering heat of FL. I am currently trying the following species in pots:
      Dypsis mirabilis - I've had this colorful little palm for almost a year. It will go through its second winter here soon.

Dypsis psammophila - A slender, gracile clumper related to the larger commoner D. lutescens

Dypsis prestoniana - My tentative introduction to the large to huge species that often grow like snails and keel over when faced with the heat of the day and night

Got to take a break now. More photos soon. Thanks for looking.
    • PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      This afternoon I was doing a periodic checkup on my container garden on the back lanai and decided to pull out a few seedlings for photos. Some I bought, others I germinated. Happy Holidays and enjoy.
      Verschaffeltia splendida - I have four left out of 10 I germinated from seeds I got from Thailand. I'm hoping at least one survives until spring.

Areca catechu Dwarf - I germinated this seedling that shows promising form.

Lanonia magalonii - from Jeff Marcus

Hydriastele beguinii "Obi Isle" - bought at Palm Beach sale

Areca guppyana - I'm a sucker for Arecas and they keep breaking my heart. Bought at Palm Beach sale

Pinanga bicolana - one of the most colorful Pinangas around. Seed from RPS germinated easily but not as easy to keep alive. Well worth trying.

Rhopaloblaste augusta - germinated from seeds I got from Thailand. Two seedlings remain. Gets large and is cold sensitive.

Adonidia merrillii variegata - very nice variegated specimen of an otherwise common-as-dirt palm. From Jeff Marcus

Heterospathe califrons - very rare new species that is hanging in there for me so far. Doesn't look like much now but just wait. From Jeff Marcus

• realarch
      By realarch
      In the latest issue of Palms, Vol. 62 (3), it was noted, that what has been commonly referred to as Hydriastele flabellata, is incorrect and the proper name is H. splendida. The correct name is much more appropriate for this spectacular ornamental palm and the change easy to get used to.  
      I would think that this would be a great container palm for those in more restrictive growing zones, but that's only a guess on my part. The leaves are like cardboard and leaf veins are covered with waxy scales which eventually fall off.
      Palms, btw, is the Journal of the International Palm Society and is part of an IPS membership. 

• doranakandawatta
      By doranakandawatta
      this sparted with seeds in 2012-2013.
      2 palms of actinorhytis callaparia
      1 palm of Rhopaloblaste ceramica (a seed of Singapore).

• doranakandawatta
      By doranakandawatta
      Hydriastele beguinni 'OBI' or not, the species is very beautiful , here in morning  garden: