IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Kerriodoxa elegans and space

Missi

My potted Kerriodoxa elegans is one of my favorite palms (nothing beats the look of a mature specimen :wub:), but it's slowly out-growing my lanai. I'm not ready to "part" with it and plant it in the ground yet, but I don't think I have another choice. There's just no room for its spreading leaves where the tips won't be scrunched up against the wall or the screen and bent. I added a 4" K. elegans to this year's Floribunda order to make "parting" easier. :rolleyes:

Those of you who keep your specimen's in pots, how do you make room for it/what is its placement where you keep it? Those of you with K. elegans in-ground (especially FL people, but I'd love to hear from all), what kind of location do you have yours planted?

I debated whether to post this here or in the 'Palms In Pots' area, but I chose here because I'm asking for anyone's advice, no matter how they grow theirs.

• Upvote 3

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

how about a picture?

The weight of lies will bring you down / And follow you to every town / Cause nothin happens here

That doesn't happen there / So when you run make sure you run / To something and not away from

Cause lies don't need an aero plane / To chase you anywhere

--Avett Bros

2 hours ago, sur4z said:

how about a picture?

Sure! I can take some pics tonight. Of just the palm, or the entire lanai (- turned shade house)? It's quite a small lanai, being only around 10' x 10'. I am even more limited on space because I have two parrots who have hanging jungle gyms that they hang out on when we're home, and I don't want anything within their beak reach (they have destroyed many-a-leaf in the past), and not much below because it would get soiled by their droppings and food they also drop and attract fungus/ants. I was hoping I might get ideas from others.

I have a Kerriodoxa out in the garden under a canopy of taller trees. For some reason birds like to roost in the trees directly over it. So, I have a Kerriodoxa with 'random variegation' that I hose off fairly regularly but it doesn't seem to affect it, either positively or negatively. I just hope the birds aren't indicating their opinion of my choice of palms, LOL.

• Upvote 2

On 7/31/2017, 2:03:10, sur4z said:

how about a picture?

Totally dropped the ball on photos last night. It was beautifully over-cast, not the usual atomic sunshine, so I took advantage and got a couple hours of gardening done!

15 hours ago, tropicbreeze said:

I just hope the birds aren't indicating their opinion of my choice of palms, LOL.

If they are trying to do that, then they have poor taste! LOL How big is yours? How much sun do you find it can take?

C'mon guys! I know we're not the ONLY ones with K. elegans! :interesting:

Here is mine from above. Purchased it as a seedling many years ago.

IMAG5795.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 8

Port Macquarie NSW Australia

Warm temperate to subtropical

Record low of -2C at airport 2006

Pushing the limit of palm survivabilities

I like your view from above! Really gorgeous!

Mine are tucked into the jungle. There used to be a nice path back here until a massive branch fell from a Cecropia tree, narrowly missing the Kerriodoxas, and, shall we say, "complicating" access...

DSC_0305.thumb.jpg.7a1587e44dc076a4fd873DSC_0309.thumb.jpg.908b74cde91995cd3ff85DSC_0310.thumb.jpg.0043b19147a26e78c49e0DSC_0308.thumb.jpg.658135755d40b4daabf84

Too many pictures, sorry.  There are five of them and they are doing very well despite my neglect.  As you can see they are in dappled shade, have enormous fans, but aren't all that tall really. 

Missi, your "atomic sunshine" might not be the most favorable exposure for them. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 9

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

8 hours ago, Missi said:
8 hours ago, Missi said:

Totally dropped the ball on photos last night. It was beautifully over-cast, not the usual atomic sunshine, so I took advantage and got a couple hours of gardening done!

If they are trying to do that, then they have poor taste! LOL How big is yours? How much sun do you find it can take?

C'mon guys! I know we're not the ONLY ones with K. elegans! :interesting:

Or ..... maybe they just saying they prefer variegated palms :unsure:

Mine is still fairly small. It's well shaded by the trees and bamboo, very little sun trickles through.

pt-n-17080208.jpg.fed8210d1d7328bfecc896

Only washed the variegation off recently, but the birds are persistent.

pt-n-17080207.jpg.2f8dc4afbaf23b8362a157

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

13 hours ago, The Palm Nut said:

Here is mine from above. Purchased it as a seedling many years ago.

IMAG5795.jpg

:wub: Beauty!  How wide would you say the leaves are? Do you recall how many years ago you purchased it? 

10 hours ago, Kim said:

I like your view from above! Really gorgeous!

Mine are tucked into the jungle. There used to be a nice path back here until a massive branch fell from a Cecropia tree, narrowly missing the Kerriodoxas, and, shall we say, "complicating" access...

DSC_0305.thumb.jpg.7a1587e44dc076a4fd873DSC_0309.thumb.jpg.908b74cde91995cd3ff85DSC_0310.thumb.jpg.0043b19147a26e78c49e0DSC_0308.thumb.jpg.658135755d40b4daabf84

Too many pictures, sorry.  There are five of them and they are doing very well despite my neglect.  As you can see they are in dappled shade, have enormous fans, but aren't all that tall really. 

Missi, your "atomic sunshine" might not be the most favorable exposure for them. 

Now THAT's a stunner of a Kerridoxa elegans! Wow, those leaves! :drool: And please never say "too many pictures"! There are NEVER "too many pictures", especially of lovely, well-grown palms! Do you find your Cecropia tree drops branches somewhat regularly? I was considering adding a Cecropia soon. :wacko: How lovely to have two plants with silvery-undersides to their leaves together, though! I appreciate your comment on sun exposure. Now I will certainly avoid any amount of full-sun exposure to mine when I plant it out. Might have to keep it in the pot in full shade longer until my canopy trees and plants get a bit more mature.

10 hours ago, tropicbreeze said:

Or ..... maybe they just saying they prefer variegated palms :unsure:

Mine is still fairly small. It's well shaded by the trees and bamboo, very little sun trickles through.

pt-n-17080208.jpg.fed8210d1d7328bfecc896

Only washed the variegation off recently, but the birds are persistent.

pt-n-17080207.jpg.2f8dc4afbaf23b8362a157

Oh goodie! More photos!! :wub: "Only washed the 'variegation' off recently" :floor: You crack me up! Naughty birds. You have so much wonderful leaf litter in your garden! Jealous...

Everyone with K. elegans, can we discuss growing them in-ground now? How much water and fertilizer do you find they need? Any specific elements, or are they pretty low-maintenance? There have been times where I've neglected mine, but it seems to get through those times like a champ. The only time it looked unhappy was after shipping. It was bareroot, which perhaps it wasn't happy about, and all the leaves were folded/broken. As it was acclimating to being potted again, it developed many brown tips, but on the 3 leaves it's popped out since I've had it, there are hardly any brown tips. 

This is the only picture I have of mine right now (pardon the intrusion of the parrots' hanging play gyms). I took it a couple weeks ago. The only place I have room for it is up top of the shelves there. It seems to be doing okay, but the newest leaf (that is just opening in this pic) opened fully up against the wall, where it's getting an bit damaged. It needs room to "spread its wings", so I'm afraid the only option will be planting it out. I think the only reason planting it out is giving me anxiety is because I'm not sure if I have a shaded area large enough to accommodate its adult size.

kelegans.jpg

• Upvote 3

Here is mine from the Keys.  I brought it home in my jeep in April 2014 and put it straight in the ground.  It now occupies a 10' x 10' area.  It gets a little too much wind on occasion and is mostly in the shade.  It gets the same fertilization routine as the rest of my palms.  Nutricote 270 every six months.  It like extra water in the summer.

IMG_4587.JPG

IMG_4679.JPG

• Upvote 5

22 hours ago, bstoller said:

Here is mine in St Pete.  I have it sheltered from the wind and direct sun.   

IMG_2399.JPG

Oh, Tampa! Do you get frosts, or are you near the coast? I'm 10.5 miles inland Naples :crying: What do you have sheltering it from direct sun? I see bamboo.

22 hours ago, BPK Palm Addict said:

Here is mine from the Keys.  I brought it home in my jeep in April 2014 and put it straight in the ground.  It now occupies a 10' x 10' area.  It gets a little too much wind on occasion and is mostly in the shade.  It gets the same fertilization routine as the rest of my palms.  Nutricote 270 every six months.  It like extra water in the summer.

IMG_4587.JPG

IMG_4679.JPG

Ahhhh there's the money shot! Gorgeous silvery underside :wub: That size in 4 years?! What size did you start off with in 2014?

And I must digress for a moment, what's the palm in the bottom of your photos? :drool:

• Upvote 1

Missi st pete is on the pinnellas peninsula, I dont think it will hardly ever frost there.

• Upvote 1

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

4 minutes ago, sonoranfans said:

Missi st pete is on the pinnellas peninsula, I dont think it will hardly ever frost there.

Well he said Tampa, though. Not St. Pete :huh:

EDIT: Wait, I'm wrong...it says St. Pete now....I SWEAR it said Tampa when I first read it! I SWEAR! LOL Am I losing it?! Maybe he edited it, maybe I'm losing it :wacko:

3 hours ago, Missi said:

Oh, Tampa! Do you get frosts, or are you near the coast? I'm 10.5 miles inland Naples :crying: What do you have sheltering it from direct sun? I see bamboo.

Ahhhh there's the money shot! Gorgeous silvery underside :wub: That size in 4 years?! What size did you start off with in 2014?

And I must digress for a moment, what's the palm in the bottom of your photos? :drool:

I don't recall the pot size but it was a leggy jeep full.  The palm in the bottom of the pic is a hydriastele beguinii var. 'obi island form'.  Great looking palm and a good grower too.  

image.jpg

• Upvote 2

here is my guy with his friends...he is very hardy and lives on the north (front) side of the house under a second story balcony....so no direct sun but blasted by northern winter winds.

.image.thumb.jpeg.9177018cff0e81ad8d80e8f

• Upvote 1

The weight of lies will bring you down / And follow you to every town / Cause nothin happens here

That doesn't happen there / So when you run make sure you run / To something and not away from

Cause lies don't need an aero plane / To chase you anywhere

--Avett Bros

16 hours ago, BPK Palm Addict said:

I don't recall the pot size but it was a leggy jeep full.  The palm in the bottom of the pic is a hydriastele beguinii var. 'obi island form'.  Great looking palm and a good grower too.  

image.jpg

Gosh dang! I was going to put that and its "normal" type on the Floribunda order I just submitted last week, but I took it off last minute! :rant: That's a GORGEOUS plant!

2 hours ago, sur4z said:

here is my guy with his friends...he is very hardy and lives on the north (front) side of the house under a second story balcony....so no direct sun but blasted by northern winter winds.

.image.thumb.jpeg.9177018cff0e81ad8d80e8f

He is a very handsome little guy! Will you prune off any leaves that attempt to grow towards the house?

A bit late to the Kerriodoxa party, but here are a few photos. Undoubtedly one of the most beautiful palms on planet earth.

These (3) are about 8 yeas old from 5 gal. pots, fairly sunny spot, and somewhat protected from the wind. Great drainage and LOTS of Hilo rain. 

No. I'm not on Palmtalk, but rather remotely controlling the camera. Always a nice shady dry spot. 

Tim

P1020074.jpg

P1020084.jpg

P1020083.jpg

• Upvote 8

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

On 8/5/2017, 11:14:25, realarch said:

A bit late to the Kerriodoxa party, but here are a few photos. Undoubtedly one of the most beautiful palms on planet earth.

These (3) are about 8 yeas old from 5 gal. pots, fairly sunny spot, and somewhat protected from the wind. Great drainage and LOTS of Hilo rain. 

No. I'm not on Palmtalk, but rather remotely controlling the camera. Always a nice shady dry spot. 

Tim

P1020074.jpg

P1020084.jpg

P1020083.jpg

Listen! There are NEVER late arrivals to the Kerriodoxa party, because the Kerriodoxa party 'don't' stop! Ya heard!! :yay:

Gorgeous palms!! :greenthumb:

These are gorgeous palms and definitely one of my absolute favorites. When grown in ideal conditions they will be much wider than they are tall. Here are a few photos taken years ago in my old garden here in Leilani Estates. I love taking night shots of these palms - the contrast is unreal. Note to self: I need to plant a few more. :rolleyes:

2009-07-29 005.jpg

2009-07-29 009.jpg

2010-08-11 054.JPG

• Upvote 7

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

WOW,

It seems our Cobras may enjoy this Kerriodoxa canopy !

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

Just to add to the record, the stemless, and quite exposed kerriodoxas at Fairchild suffered zero damage during the Christmas freeze of 1989. That was a seriously hard freeze, I've heard 28f, and 26f as the low, either which is nasty for tropical palms.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, bgl said:

These are gorgeous palms and definitely one of my absolute favorites. When grown in ideal conditions they will be much wider than they are tall. Here are a few photos taken years ago in my old garden here in Leilani Estates. I love taking night shots of these palms - the contrast is unreal. Note to self: I need to plant a few more. :rolleyes:

2009-07-29 005.jpg

2009-07-29 009.jpg

2010-08-11 054.JPG

Just incredible pictures of this palm.

Thanks for sharing.

On 8/8/2017, 12:11:37, bgl said:

2009-07-29 005.jpg

2009-07-29 009.jpg

2010-08-11 054.JPG

:drool: How old were these guys at the time of the photo?

On 8/8/2017, 12:24:39, kurt decker said:

Just to add to the record, the stemless, and quite exposed kerriodoxas at Fairchild suffered zero damage during the Christmas freeze of 1989. That was a seriously hard freeze, I've heard 28f, and 26f as the low, either which is nasty for tropical palms.

That's definitely great to know, because I can get some frosts :crying:

On 8/8/2017, 12:57:14, Pando said:

These were taken at Ralph Velez' place, in his greenhouse, earlier this year. That thing was 15+ feet tall and huge!

yrqJdnL.jpg

L8tzKn2.jpg

P4kkAKV.jpg

VwOZEGi.jpg

I don't know who Ralph Valez is, but I'm loving his K. elegans and the perspective of your photos of them!!

7 hours ago, Missi said:

@Pando Any other photos of his greenhouse?

You can check out my photo gallery of Ralphs garden, taken a few months ago, with the greenhouse pics somewhere in the middle over there.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Pando said:

You can check out my photo gallery of Ralphs garden, taken a few months ago, with the greenhouse pics somewhere in the middle over there.

Oh my gosh! I'm over-whelmed just looking at the first photo! :o LOL This is going to be a great adventure! Thanks so much! :yay:

• 3 years later...

I have a few Kerriodoxa elegans but the oldest 3-4 leaves have brown tips. All of them. About 1/4 of the whole leaf. Is it related to my water quality here in South Florida? I have  them in 1 gallon pots, they are still small . Sitting in the shade. 
Can’t be too much water and don’t think they need more. They are the only ones having this issues. 
I hope somebody can assist. I don’t want to lose them. 
Attaching pictures

48C45CBC-A3E4-4881-931A-A3BBCAE42DCA.jpeg