IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

IS ANYONE GROWING FOXTAIL PALM IN NORTH CA?

WonderKeeper

Lately HDP in North California is selling Foxtail Palm. I know it maybe cold sensitive  to zone 9, but 1 year live guarantee on this palm, then  I just got to get it.    Are you growing any of this palm in zone 9 or colder zone ? Please post picture of your big Foxtail Palm.

20170601_073917.jpg

Hmm.

I'm curious too. Bet it would grow in WGB Zone 16.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I have one that got spotty last winter, but grew out of it quickly once summer hit. I'll post a picture a bit later today. There are others around town also, now that the big stores seem to be stocking them regularly. 

Oh, and I'm in Fresno. Sunset zone 9, USDA zone 9b. 

Edited by Jdiaz31089

Here's mine. i planted it last summer from a 5 gallon like the ones in your picture. The long leaves are nursery grown, while the short, plumosa ones are grown in-situ. 

20170731_172242.thumb.jpg.38e654ec990c5f

• Upvote 6

I have two in my Bay Area garden that have been in their partial sunny locations for a few years. Picture one is actually in almost full shade so it grows slowly. Picture two is a foxy lady growing well with a foxtail behind it. Picture three is shows the foxtail's trunk to the right of the foxy lady but its canopy is hidden by the Phoenix. It was a tiny one gallon when planted as was the foxy lady.IMG_3702.thumb.PNG.f782ce01ab6a4faba5948IMG_3701.thumb.PNG.abeb344edcf86644eac12IMG_3703.thumb.PNG.e96f7491cac2113b0d59d

• Upvote 6

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

Thanks guys for information and photos. Those palms look great. Happy Gardening to All.

Even though mine was in a southern exposure, under a roof, it burned back severely this past winter. I think it may still be alive,but hasn't pushed out a new frond yet (and it's already August). From now on I may overwinter this species in my sunroom to avoid future disappointments.

BTW, I'm seeing large Hyophorbe lagenicaulis and Archontophoenix cunninghamiana for sale at a local Lowe's this summer. I hope buyers notice the temperature range for these species before they buy them. I suppose if they have a protected patio or atrium these might succeed outdoors in this area. 

• 4 weeks later...

Here's mine today. It responds very well to heat, sun, water and fertilizer. It amazes me how past it pushes out new fronds. It's as fast, if not faster than my queen palms - though much smaller of course. 

20170824_073418.thumb.jpg.e7e40d2210b1d5

On 8/1/2017, 9:46:39, Hillizard said:

Even though mine was in a southern exposure, under a roof, it burned back severely this past winter. I think it may still be alive,but hasn't pushed out a new frond yet (and it's already August). From now on I may overwinter this species in my sunroom to avoid future disappointments.

BTW, I'm seeing large Hyophorbe lagenicaulis and Archontophoenix cunninghamiana for sale at a local Lowe's this summer. I hope buyers notice the temperature range for these species before they buy them. I suppose if they have a protected patio or atrium these might succeed outdoors in this area. 

Perhaps there are protected areas in Sacramento proper that could support one? Archontophoenix in Fresno have survived the 2007 freeze. There are a handful of large, trunking specimens across town - up to 15 feet of trunk at least. 

• Upvote 5

2 hours ago, Jdiaz31089 said:

Here's mine today. It responds very well to heat, sun, water and fertilizer. It amazes me how past it pushes out new fronds. It's as fast, if not faster than my queen palms - though much smaller of course. 

20170824_073418.thumb.jpg.e7e40d2210b1d5

Perhaps there are protected areas in Sacramento proper that could support one? Archontophoenix in Fresno have survived the 2007 freeze. There are a handful of large, trunking specimens across town - up to 15 feet of trunk at least. 

Yours looks so healthy!! I haven't given up on this species yet and it's still not certain if the one I have is dead or not. I can't pull out the spear leaf, so something's going on with it.  My largest Archontophoenix finally died, after years of struggle here. It was tall enough that I had to store it sideways in its pot under a low roof one winter! I now have a smaller one that I can more easily protect, but it bleaches in strong sunlight here. 

• Upvote 1

I lost all of mine in the ground this past winter. But those pots are still green and healthy. The biggest key is really good winter drainage, not a good mix with clay! I lost one this year that made it through the previous two winters in the ground, the difference was the constant cool/wet. 

Edited by enigma99
  • Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Hillizard said:

Yours looks so healthy!! I haven't given up on this species yet and it's still not certain if the one I have is dead or not. I can't pull out the spear leaf, so something's going on with it.  My largest Archontophoenix finally died, after years of struggle here. It was tall enough that I had to store it sideways in its pot under a low roof one winter! I now have a smaller one that I can more easily protect, but it bleaches in strong sunlight here. 

Archontophoenix burn in sun for me too. I have one that's just about to pop over a canopy and I'm afraid to think of how badly it will burn once it's exposed to full sun above. 

3 hours ago, enigma99 said:

I lost all of mine in the ground this past winter. But those pots are still green and healthy. The biggest key is really good winter drainage, not a good mix with clay! I lost one this year that made it through the previous two winters in the ground, the difference was the constant cool/wet. 

I have several of my cold-hardy palms on a berm with a southern exposure, and it drains very well in the winter here in the Sacto suburbs, but I doubt that my remaining Archontophoenix sp. 'Teracarpa' could take the summer sun in that location. So in my situation it's less about soil and more about sun. :(

3 hours ago, Jdiaz31089 said:

Archontophoenix burn in sun for me too. I have one that's just about to pop over a canopy and I'm afraid to think of how badly it will burn once it's exposed to full sun above. 

A few years ago I spotted a tall (~20 feet) Archontophoenix growing above the fence line in a neighborhood close-in to downtown Sacramento. It was growing under even taller Sycamores, with a Western exposure. Then after one winter it disappeared or it was moved somewhere else. One of these days I may ask the homeowner what happened to it. S/he is apparently a 'palm person' since the tiny front yard has at least 6 mature, closely-spaced Queen palms in it -- makes it look like they collect telephone poles! :huh:

• 2 months later...

Here's mine today (in Fresno). I'm trying to decide if i should tie the fronds up next month and wrap them with a sheet to keep frost off of them. 

Screenshot_20171031-000832.thumb.jpg.38c

Edited by Jdiaz31089
  • Upvote 2

13 hours ago, Jdiaz31089 said:

Here's mine today (in Fresno). I'm trying to decide if i should tie the fronds up next month and wrap them with a sheet to keep frost off of them. 

Screenshot_20171031-000832.thumb.jpg.38c

Jdiaz: You have somewhat warmer winters than I do here in Sacto, but I would encourage you to use frost cloth and/or maybe a string of holiday lights wrapped around it on cold nights.You don't want such a nice foxtail to end up like mine below!  I had it outside, up against an interior window, under an overhang, but it wasn't enough. Now, just in time for Halloween, its 'ghost' is a haunting reminder of its former glory!  I had the same outcome with my several-years-old Roystonea oleracea:(

FoxtailFuneral.jpg

• 1 year later...

Same palm, just opening it's first frond after winter. This summer it should look really nice with a full crown and bulging trunk. Really isn't supposed to survive here but who am I to tell it to stop ^_^I'll cherish it as long as it lives for me. 

20190415_173718.jpg

20190415_174343.jpg

Edited by Josue Diaz
  • Like 7
  • Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Josue Diaz said:

Same palm, just opening it's first frond after winter. This summer it should look really nice with a full crown and bulging trunk. Really isn't supposed to survive here but who am I to tell it to stop ^_^I'll cherish it as long as it lives for me. 

20190415_173718.jpg

20190415_174343.jpg

Josue: Glad to see your foxtail weathered the winter! :greenthumb: I'm not sure I want to test another one here after my recent disappointment. Maybe I'd have better luck with a "foxy lady" palm? Do you have any of those planted out at this point? Nice in-ground plumeria, BTW.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for sharing your info Josue. I am nowhere near Nocal, but it gets very cold here in Upland sometimes. My foxtail, about the same size as yours, had 3 of its 5 fronds completely turn crispy after our crazy February. The other two fronds are mostly brown with a little green. Spear and trunk seem to be in good shape so it looks like it will survive. This was its second winter in the ground, did better last year. Your spot near the house should give it an advantage. Every little advantage helps when it comes to foxtails! I wish you continued success!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hillizard said:

Josue: Glad to see your foxtail weathered the winter! :greenthumb: I'm not sure I want to test another one here after my recent disappointment. Maybe I'd have better luck with a "foxy lady" palm? Do you have any of those planted out at this point? Nice in-ground plumeria, BTW.

I have a foxy lady, but not in the ground. I want to grow it in a container for a while longer I think. Do you have one? 

The plumeria have done amazingly well! I have three in the ground, 4 more waiting to go in the ground. I decided to plant mine against the south side of the house after seeing one at a neighbor's yard also against the south side of their house. theirs have been growing and blooming every summer for as long as I've lived here, which is 6 years now. 

4 hours ago, Sr. Califas said:

Thanks for sharing your info Josue. I am nowhere near Nocal, but it gets very cold here in Upland sometimes. My foxtail, about the same size as yours, had 3 of its 5 fronds completely turn crispy after our crazy February. The other two fronds are mostly brown with a little green. Spear and trunk seem to be in good shape so it looks like it will survive. This was its second winter in the ground, did better last year. Your spot near the house should give it an advantage. Every little advantage helps when it comes to foxtails! I wish you continued success!

thanks! likewise. hope yours keeps growing despite dealing w frost. 

12 hours ago, Josue Diaz said:

I have a foxy lady, but not in the ground. I want to grow it in a container for a while longer I think. Do you have one? 

The plumeria have done amazingly well! I have three in the ground, 4 more waiting to go in the ground. I decided to plant mine against the south side of the house after seeing one at a neighbor's yard also against the south side of their house. theirs have been growing and blooming every summer for as long as I've lived here, which is 6 years now. 

thanks! likewise. hope yours keeps growing despite dealing w frost. 

I don't have a foxy lady palm yet, but I'm hopeful either seeds or plants will show up online soon. I think I'll test one of my potted Plumeria on the south side of my house this year and leave it outside over the winter, although the summer sun may be too strong for it there.

44 minutes ago, Hillizard said:

I don't have a foxy lady palm yet, but I'm hopeful either seeds or plants will show up online soon. I think I'll test one of my potted Plumeria on the south side of my house this year and leave it outside over the winter, although the summer sun may be too strong for it there.

Full sun where you are should be fine.. Neighbors' plants, and  some others around the corner get more sun all year than i might provide and have done ok..  If you want to play it safe, at least until the plant(s) develop wood that is more sun -hardy..  white wash the trunk.  Did this with the plant i stuck out front here and had no issues w/ sun scald / burn as it has grown, unlike damage i had on potted plants i didn't paint. 

If i were sticking them in the ground there,  ..or back in San Jose,  i would probably invest in a couple bags of Decomp. Granite and maybe some Turface for the planting hole / planting on a slight mound to help reduce the chance of excess water / moisture sitting around the plant during winter dormancy..  And yes, they are supposed to drop all leaves / take a nap and dream of spring during our winters.. I cut off any leaves that remain on mine in mid November if they haven't been shed.. 

For frost protection, i use Pool noodles ( double wrapped ) and regular 'ol green wire tie ( picture below, taken 1/3/19 )
DSCN4754.JPG.e7511ab65fe0c6676bd79783c3626656.JPG

Same plant atm , and progress of  the "nubbing -year"  flower buds. We'll see how many hang on to flower.
DSCN5766.thumb.JPG.a891cf38a537537bcc355ca449bcb349.JPG

DSCN5767.JPG.1cc988aa603a42cf8fb825d1521ffb17.JPG

37 minutes ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Full sun where you are should be fine.. Neighbors' plants, and  some others around the corner get more sun all year than i might provide and have done ok..  If you want to play it safe, at least until the plant(s) develop wood that is more sun -hardy..  white wash the trunk.  Did this with the plant i stuck out front here and had no issues w/ sun scald / burn as it has grown, unlike damage i had on potted plants i didn't paint. 

If i were sticking them in the ground there,  ..or back in San Jose,  i would probably invest in a couple bags of Decomp. Granite and maybe some Turface for the planting hole / planting on a slight mound to help reduce the chance of excess water / moisture sitting around the plant during winter dormancy..  And yes, they are supposed to drop all leaves / take a nap and dream of spring during our winters.. I cut off any leaves that remain on mine in mid November if they haven't been shed.. 

For frost protection, i use Pool noodles ( double wrapped ) and regular 'ol green wire tie ( picture below, taken 1/3/19 )
DSCN4754.JPG.e7511ab65fe0c6676bd79783c3626656.JPG

Same plant atm , and progress of  the "nubbing -year"  flower buds. We'll see how many hang on to flower.
DSCN5766.thumb.JPG.a891cf38a537537bcc355ca449bcb349.JPG

DSCN5767.JPG.1cc988aa603a42cf8fb825d1521ffb17.JPG

Nice system!  Your results speak for themselves. The south side of my house is bordered with concrete, so I'm stuck with Plumeria in pots. I'll definitely consider painting the trunks. Right now the leaf buds are just starting to form. They're not as advanced as yours. ;)

13 minutes ago, Hillizard said:

Nice system!  Your results speak for themselves. The south side of my house is bordered with concrete, so I'm stuck with Plumeria in pots. I'll definitely consider painting the trunks. Right now the leaf buds are just starting to form. They're not as advanced as yours. ;)

Weirdest thing is ..this one is the only one i have that is in leaf, or with buds. The rest ( in pots ) are just starting to come out of dormancy atm, a bit later than last year. Most probably won't flower this year, which is fine for now.  Painting the trunks on the potted ones this year also.

One of the neighbor's, planted further out in his yard ( in a bed bordered by their driveway / rest of the yard ), is also just leafing out. Same w/ another neighbors plant around the corner..  My neighbor at the corner has another that was planted right up under the front window of their home ( faces east ), maybe 2-4' off the foundation / wall. Retained most of it's leaves over winter.

Roots, even on big plants i'd observed when i lived in Bradenton, & the St. Pete / Clearwater  area, or while visiting a favorite grower's nursery in Homestead never seemed to be an issue near buildings / sidewalks, etc. Bigger issue they had with plants within -reach of anyone passing by was people stopping and taking cuttings w/ out asking first.  :rant:, lol.

• Like 1

Here's my Foxy Lady last Fall, Winter, and a year after it was planted along side a pure Wodyetia. It has grown three times as fast as the Wodyetia even though the Wodyetia has remained very healthy up here in the SF Bay Area. image.jpeg.11c4fa99b110da4ab3856a683ad6f713.jpegimage.jpeg.703f2d5cb149efc92ca857c04c7835a8.jpegimage.jpeg.122c14e8bc1a8ff89395a038d6f69464.jpeg

• Like 3

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

Wunderbar!!!!!!!

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

• 4 months later...

I feel as though i could prob give move a bit more water and it would look more full. 

Screenshot_20190826-181004_Gallery.jpg

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Josue Diaz said:

I feel as though i could prob give move a bit more water and it would look more full. 

Screenshot_20190826-181004_Gallery.jpg

I read they love ample fertilizilation.

Have you fed it regularly this season?

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

• 1 month later...

Forgive the mess, here's an end of summer pic from my foxtail in Fresno. Not impressive by FL standards, I'm sure.

Forgive the mess, I'm currently moving several yards of mulch out of my driveway.

20191020_092243.thumb.jpg.58b02769957ad903bec7a2027538fe99.jpg

20191020_092139.thumb.jpg.397ed24e3c7c7c1ef2b94bc0eb69cd22.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1