IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Summer Heat Hits The PNW

Palm crazy

Some record breaking heat this coming week…. getting close to record breaking heat. https://www.wunderground.com/US/WA/Olympia.html

Monday 85F

Tuesday 92F

Wednesday 99F

Thursday 107F

Friday 98F

Low to mid 80’s after friday…. 

I plan on giving my feather palms lots of water and fish fertilizer each day while its in the 90F.  BTW the average high this week is only 78F-79F so way hotter than normal. 

More posting to come with actual Highs in the State. 

Edited by Palm crazy
  • Upvote 1

That looks more like our August weather than PNW!!!  That has to be really close to all time record highs.

On the western side it will be record breaking Highs, but the dry hot eastern side, not unusual at all. 

That's definitely a shell shocker when you're used to it being like a doctor's office every day!  We've never had 107F here, thankfully!

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

50 minutes ago, kinzyjr said:

That's definitely a shell shocker when you're used to it being like a doctor's office every day!  We've never had 107F here, thankfully!

Locally, two years ago it got up to 104F and a few 101F, in August of course.  

Edited by Palm crazy
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

It's been toasty on Vancouver Island (British Columbia) too. The forest fire haze kept the extreme temps at bay to some degree. I like the heat but at least it always cools off at night here.

Cheers, Barrie.

I was in Eugene and Portland this past weekend (Thursday through Sunday) and though it was warm, it was a relief from the steady stream of 110 degree weather we've had the past month and a half (typical for us in central, inland CA). We stopped to have lunch in Salem actually, and when we requested to eat outside, the waitress gave us a funny look and called us brave :floor:

2 hours ago, Jdiaz31089 said:

I was in Eugene and Portland this past weekend (Thursday through Sunday) and though it was warm, it was a relief from the steady stream of 110 degree weather we've had the past month and a half (typical for us in central, inland CA). We stopped to have lunch in Salem actually, and when we requested to eat outside, the waitress gave us a funny look and called us brave :floor:

We still waiting the summer in England! We had only couple of days in May and June over 30°C

23 hours ago, Las Palmas Norte said:

It's been toasty on Vancouver Island (British Columbia) too. The forest fire haze kept the extreme temps at bay to some degree. I like the heat but at least it always cools off at night here.

Cheers, Barrie.

It started cooling down here two nights ago.  Finally able to sleep better after midnight. Last night was the first time I could see the stars, clear that is….Next week things go back to normal and maybe a little rain too… its been like 60 days since I’ve had any rain. As far as this heat wave goes …. 2015 was a lot hotter. 

Edited by Palm crazy

• 3 weeks later...
46 minutes ago, Palm crazy said:

Warm evening here…. 8:30pm and still 80F here, Portland, OR is still  holding at 90F. 

acttemp_1280x720.jpg

I'm in one of those slivers of pink on the map. We got to 111 today :wacko:

40 minutes ago, Jdiaz31089 said:

I'm in one of those slivers of pink on the map. We got to 111 today :wacko:

Yikes! To hot for me! Stay cool. 

The weather channel came out with it September forecast and it looks really good for the whole west coast… above average temperatures. Middle of week high 90’s here while the central valley in Cali will reach 115F…. still no rain insight.  BTW average normal night for us is mid 70’s, LOL…..  https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/us/wa/olympia  PNW will be cooler than average starting in October, Stay cool! 

wsi_sept_0816.jpg

Edited by Palm crazy

Hot enough??  

Current observations per the SF. NWS Office @ 1pm:

Golden Gate Park: 102f

3 E Oakland: 104f

Pleasenton: 106f

4 NW Castro Valey: 109f

Downtown S.F.: 99f

Salinas Airport: 101f

Monterey Airport: 93f

Watsonville Airport: 106f

Capitola: 99f

..and the hottest reading, thus far today: Boulder creek at 113f, and 110f for two stations in Scott's Valley..

It is currently 102f ( per AccuWeather) here in Chandler ..Ouch!!  Wow. :o:wacko::blink:

• 2 weeks later...

The drought is not really over but after 100 day with no real rain, we got some yesterday! Not enough to reach the ground in my garden but it did get rid of all the smoke and cleaned the air and foliage….  late September we always get a huge rain storm for one or two days. Temps are going back to the low 70s after monday. :D