IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Relocation to Hawaii

IHB1979

Family and I have been thinking about long term plans and moving to Hawaii has come up several times. Luckily, I have a position that is remote so I don't need to be at an office. I understand the cost of living and island fever concerns. I also understand that on the surface, Hawaii seems like a paradise, but the reality is it has social and economic issues just like anywhere else.  One issue has really got me stumped. I've read a lot about non-locals, especially white children having a difficult time growing up in Hawaii. Does anyone have any real life experience with this? Lot's of stories and articles online about the discrimination of non-local, especially white children within the Hawaii schools. In no way am I implying this is the norm, I'm simply concerned and wondered if anyone that lives there can give me some honest replies. Thanks!

I cannot address issues that you have raised, but another consideration is location.  Most of us would wish to have a garden favorable for palms.  The rainfall patterns and soil characteristics can vary a lot within a short distance.  I would suggest that you consult with island Palmtalkers before any purchase if you wish to have the most favorable site for gardening.  :)

• Upvote 1

San Francisco, California

4 hours ago, IHB1979 said:

Family and I have been thinking about long term plans and moving to Hawaii has come up several times. Luckily, I have a position that is remote so I don't need to be at an office. I understand the cost of living and island fever concerns. I also understand that on the surface, Hawaii seems like a paradise, but the reality is it has social and economic issues just like anywhere else.  One issue has really got me stumped. I've read a lot about non-locals, especially white children having a difficult time growing up in Hawaii. Does anyone have any real life experience with this? Lot's of stories and articles online about the discrimination of non-local, especially white children within the Hawaii schools. In no way am I implying this is the norm, I'm simply concerned and wondered if anyone that lives there can give me some honest replies. Thanks!

I'd be concerned.

If you identify as caucasian and have school age children who also do, particularly if they're "fair" (light) in appearance, and intend to send them to local public schools, I've heard that hassling of "haole" children has been a reported problem.

I don't have personal experience with this. But about a dozen people I've talked and corresponded with over the years have told me that white kids, especially boys, get hassled in schools, and on school buses. All of these people went to school in Hawaii in the 1970s to the 1990s. Don't know about more recent years.  Some were on Palm Talk, about  8 - 10 years ago, if I recall.

I'd post a thread asking that very question and see the responses. I honestly hope that things have changed for the better in recent times

Let us know what you find.

• Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I would be more concerned about the quality of the educational experience provided. I do not have any direct experience with the schools, so can't offer much other than my general impression that the Hawaii public schools are not as good as in some other states. In many respects, Hawaii County (Big Island) is not a wealthy school district. The exception to that is Kamehameha Schools, but they reserve priority for students of native Hawaiian ancestry. About discrimination, again, no direct experience in the schools, but on a personal level of interaction with locals, I have not experienced any sense of discrimination. I have blond female friends working in Hawaii who HAVE experienced discrimination in the workplace for not being Asian.

Sometimes we get what we expect. If you and your family feel like your whiteness is an issue, it may very well be an issue. If you don't have a conscious issue about your race, maybe it won't be an issue. 

I strongly recommend a long visit to test the waters. It is very common for people move to the islands intending to stay forever, and a year or two later they move back to the mainland for various reasons. Sometimes it's disappointment that the island experience doesn't live up to expectations, or it's family on the mainland, or it's a feeling of not belonging. Living in Hawaii is not the same as a Hawaiian vacation. The attitudes are different, the culture is different, and if one can maintain an open mind to those differences, it can be a very enriching experience. Seeing those who truly live aloha, and also seeing those who talk aloha but don't live it, you can get a little cynical, too. I aim for the open mind and life of aloha, but it's not a perfect world. 

Edit: Another consideration worth mentioning is access to good medical care. Most of Hawaii is quite rural in nature and hospitals and good medical care are mostly found in Honolulu. I continue to hear stories that basically caution you, if a serious diagnosis comes up, get the heck out of Hawaii.

• Upvote 2

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Kim has a lot spot on.

The Big Island is a rural area, and that's not a cup of tea for many city folk. Miles and miles to drive, and no people and no services. No 7-11s, no gas stations, even.

I spent a summer in eastern Kentucky as a young man, and can affirm that it's just way different. Shoot me a PM if you need to. You understand when you get there: (a) why the locals love the place; and (b) why they leave. Face reality for you.

There's no shame in being a city man or woman. You are what you are and you appreciate city life. I do.

In remote parts of the Big Island (with cheap acreage), there are no cops, utilities, garbage collection, even cell phones. Oh but so beautiful. But so remote. Give yourself some time to see if that's right for you and your family members. My honest opinion, is if you want to live in the far out country, get a gun and learn how to use it. Cops ain't there, sometimes. Not to bitch at them.

Teenagers want other things, not a life on the farm, in my experience, till they decide to come back.

Black people, I've been advised by folks who have been there, are treated like white people. Ambivalently. President Obama's thoughts on this matter.

Let us know what you decide. Your thoughts are valuable.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

You're welcome!

Let us know what you decide.

I seriously considered going to Hawaii in my time, and reconsidered. I might yet re-re-consider if I can get to Oahu, especially the windward side.

I live in Honolulu, Oahu . I am white, but my wife and children are part Hawaiian. My wife comes from a enormous Hawaiian family, there are at least 3 hundred of her relatives around us in the same valley. The Reeves have been in Kuliouou for about 100 + years. (yes as in Keanu). I have never had a problem. Honolulu has about as diverse in culture as you can get. My boys do go to a private school, so have no experience with public schools, but one should look into that, if you have children. Like most big cities there are many ethnic neighborhoods.  Houses tend to be in the 600 to a million range for a small house with little or no land. Houses in our valley start around 800.

As far as palms go. The mouth of our valley is fairly dry, but a mile or more up and it is very wet forest. Soil quality can vary just as well, from coral laden, sandy, reddish, to black clay which is what is in the floor of our valley. Palms grow great in some areas and falter in others. Lyon arboretum in Manoa valley has to be one of the best collections of palms on earth, with very, very wet conditions. The windward side is much wetter, the leeward (Honolulu) side dryer. Much wetter the closer to the mountains you get. And, like in our valley only a mile or so, can make a huge difference. The big boy Dypsis grow like weeds here, in our valley The small dainty Dypsis  stuff not so well. Much different circumstances on the Big Island, the Hilo side, the palm enthusiasts have amazing collections. 

I could go on and on, there are things to consider, but I would never go back to live on the mainland. There is a great sense of Ohana here, family is first. 

aloha

Colin

After reading the other posts more, yes the education system is tough here. My two boys go to private, now high school for a reason.  Look at paying at least 18-25k per year. And kindergarten is the same price as high school, at least at my boys school, but I would not change that for any reason. Athletics here is incredible, 12 months of good weather has its benefits. 

I work on the ramp for an airline here. I am only one of two white men. The others are Samoan, Hawaiian, Black etc., a tough crowd maybe in some circumstances, but they

couldn't have been more welcoming and open armed, long before they knew my wifes family was Hawaiian, and her last name. I think maybe as Dave said, you have to be open minded and not identify as haole or any particular race. (haole in Hawaiian, means foreigner)

Military people, especially from the American southeast often have a tough time off base.

There are a few Palm Talkers with experience in this regard and I'm hoping they see fit to join the discussion.

• 3 years later...

Actually, the situation is not that bad here. People are so friendly and kind. My kids got used quickly to the new environment, and they've never complained about any discrimination or bullying. When I moved here, my biggest issue was finding a good moving company with reasonable prices, as we were moving from the north of the country. Bringing all my stuff here was really challenging. You know, when living 15 years in one place, you get a lot of useless things. However, I followed all these tips https://expomovers.com/5-essential-tips-for-recycling-your-old-items/ to reduce some things I needed to move and saved a lot of money. To be honest, I even started to be more aware of the home stuff I buy.

Edited by Pharris
  • Like 1