IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

One week trip to Chile, home of Jubaea chilensis

Alberto

From 11 to 18 of july I was in Chile with my family. It is certainly the most civilized country in South America. Friendly people. Safe. A lot of different sceneries for different tastes. From Santiago , a millions city to Viña del Mar a seaside resort, to snow covered mountains in a trip and  places with  vegetation that looks like chaparral with columnar cactus and Jubaeas, like in the Parque Nacional La Campana , sector Ocoa. 

Some pics of Santiago, with Jubaeas, giant Phoenix canariensis and Jubaea

DSCN8502.JPG

DSCN8500.JPG

DSCN8535.JPG

DSCN8485.JPG

• Like 6
  • Upvote 17

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

Jardim Botanico Nacional in Viña del Mar. Some healthy Juania australis and others not so....

A row of Araucaria angustifolia [the state tree of my state Paraná], giant eucallyptus, a moai from the isla Pascua

DSCN8596.JPG

DSCN8595.JPG

DSCN8599.JPG

DSCN8577.JPG

DSCN8572.JPG

DSCN8613.JPG

DSCN8620.JPG

DSCN8644.JPG

• Like 4
  • Upvote 14

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

A one day trip to the winter sport resorts Vale Nevado and Farellones

DSCN8678.JPG

DSCN8663.JPG

DSCN8667.JPG

DSCN8729.JPG

DSCN8713.JPG

• Like 5
  • Upvote 9

mas mas mas

:drool::drool::drool:

• Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Friday night Santiago had a big snow storm. The last time it snowed in the city was 16 years ago.We where heading again to Farellones.But today a totally different landscape

DSCN8868.JPG

DSCN8888.JPG

DSCN8942.JPG

DSCN9140.JPG

DSCN9209.JPG

DSCN9225.JPG

DSCN9174.JPG

DSCN9055.JPG

• Like 5
  • Upvote 14

DSCN9310.JPG

DSCN9289.JPG

DSCN9246.JPG

DSCN9329.JPG

• Like 6
  • Upvote 14

Monday 17, was our last day in Chile and we went to the Parque Nacional La Campana - sector Ocoa. With our guide Jorge from ''Jorge Excurciones'' we climbed  to a cascade in the park, a walk of 2 h 30 min and and 1 h 10 min hours back to the park entrance. It was my dream to know this fantastic place , a ''Patrimonio de la Biosfera''. Big centuries old Jubaeas and also younger palms, a lot of interesting plants like Trichocereus , Puya berteroana, Puya chilensis. I saw a tree that is also native to my place in Paraná, Drimys winteri . A wonderfull flora located in breathtaking location.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Campana_National_Park    

a Campana National Park is located in the Cordillera de la CostaQuillota Province, in the Valparaíso Region of Chile. La Campana National Park and the Vizcachas Mountains lie northwest of Santiago.[2] This national park covers approximately 80 square kilometres (31 sq mi) and is home to one of the last palm forests of Jubaea chilensis (Chilean Wine Palm), which prehistorically had a much wider distribution than at present.[3] Another attraction is the Cerro La Campana, which lends its name to the park. In 1834 Charles Darwin climbed this mountain, during the second voyage of HMS Beagle.

In 1984, the park, along with Lago Peñuelas National Reserve, was designated by UNESCO as a Biosphere Reserve.

DSCN9450.JPG

DSCN9448.JPG

DSCN9459.JPG

DSCN9463.JPG

DSCN9480.JPG

DSCN9476.JPG

DSCN9466.JPG

DSCN9482.JPG

DSCN9486.JPG

DSCN9490.JPG

DSCN9496.JPG

DSCN9500.JPG

• Like 6
  • Upvote 19

Strange to see cattle grazing inside the park. I´m not sure if this is ''carelessness''  or has an ecological  purpose to substitute the effects of ancient animals that actually are absent like alpacas etc....

At 1;00 pm we ate someting at the side og this stream

DSCN9502.JPG

DSCN9504.JPG

DSCN9506.JPG

DSCN9522.JPG

DSCN9530.JPG

DSCN9512.JPG

DSCN9532.JPG

DSCN9536.JPG

DSCN9539.JPG

DSCN9546.JPG

DSCN9548.JPG

DSCN9549.JPG

• Like 7
  • Upvote 16

DSCN9566.JPG

DSCN9577.JPG

DSCN9590.JPG

DSCN9594.JPG

DSCN9608.JPG

• Like 5
  • Upvote 18

Some curiosities

We found this dwarfish Jubaea growing on a hill of pure rock. I don´t know how it can survive this harsh conditions....

There was still some snow from the big snowfall from two days ago. The temperature during our trip was pleasent, cold only in the shadow. Our guide told us that the day before the temperatures were negative in the Parque La Campana the whole day.

DSCN9615.JPG

DSCN9616.JPG

• Like 2
  • Upvote 7

''La tierra no pertenece al hombre. El hombre pertenece a la tierra''

''The earth isn´t mankinds [ man´s] property, Mankind [the man] belongs to the earth.''

[In memory of the chilean visionary Sir Raul Ovalle Ugarte and family who in 1968 donated there property Las Palmas de Ocoa to the Nation as natural heritage to be preserved for the future generations]

]

DSCN9457.JPG

• Like 3
  • Upvote 7

Alberto,  Thank you very much for these wonderful photographs !  :greenthumb:

• Upvote 1

San Francisco, California

Wonderful photos! Chile has stunning natural beauty. What a joy to see palms and plants I will probably never see in person.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Well, now I know Jubaea Chilensis is snow hardy. 

Thank you for the pictures. That was one magnificent trip.

• Upvote 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

Thank you for posting some great pictures.  Did you see any small non trunking Jubaea?  I have wondered what kinds of animals disperse the seed.

• Upvote 1

Beautiful country! It is cool to see snow on palms.

• Upvote 1

Lived in Cape Coral, Miami, Orlando and St. Petersburg Florida.

1 hour ago, Jubaea said:

Thank you for posting some great pictures.  Did you see any small non trunking Jubaea?  I have wondered what kinds of animals disperse the seed.

Yes I  saw young Jubaeas and also little seedlings protected with a wire fence. Here is younger one growing in some shade

DSCN9528.JPG

2 hours ago, Jubaea said:

Yes I  saw young Jubaeas and also little seedlings protected with a wire fence. Here is younger one growing in some shade. I didn´t find any mature fruits, but lots of seeds opened by a kind of rodent our guide told us.

DSCN9528.JPG

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, GottmitAlex said:

Well, now I know Jubaea Chilensis is snow hardy. 

Thank you for the pictures. That was one magnificent trip.

I saw a lot of broken fronds on the Phoenix canariensis and other trees in Santiago the following day of the snow. But this was the only Jubaea I saw with a broken frond in La Campana. It is certainly adapted to some heavy snow. 

DSCN9601.JPG

• Like 2
  • Upvote 5

2 hours ago, PalmatierMeg said:

Wonderful photos! Chile has stunning natural beauty. What a joy to see palms and plants I will probably never see in person.

Meg, never say never:D

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the photos Alberto, looks like beautiful and scenic country. The Jubaea are so monumental.

Tim

• Upvote 1

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Wow, what a great set of photos!  Maybe I will get to visit there some day.  That snow looked heavy and wet.  I wonder if the Phoenix canariensis will defoliate?  If I lived there, I'd grow Jubaea.  Who needs CIDP when Jubaea grow into such wonderful specimens?

• Upvote 1

Land O Lakes FL, a suburb on the North Side of Tampa, FL

Summers are great, 90f/32c in the day & 70f/21c at night with plentiful rain & sun

Winters are subtropical with occasional frosts and freezes. Tropical cyclones happen.

We have a few Royal palms in the warm microclimates but Coconuts freeze.

I am a Kayaker, Hiker, Bicyclist, and amateur Photographer that loves the outdoors.  

Fantastic Alberto!! It looked like a great day for the hike. Just cool enough to keep you comfortable while you hiked, the best times and AMAZING scenery!! To think I have one of those monsters still not trunking in my front yard!

Thank you for the posting!!

• Upvote 1

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

From here a big THANK YOU as well, Alberto!

It is just great to let us join your wonderful trip and enjoy the awesome scenery and plant photos you took!

A great lecture - I really enjoyed it, gracias -

best regards

Lars

• Upvote 1

Wow, great pics of a great palm.  Supposedly Charles Darwin thought Jubaea was one of the ugliest trees he had ever seen, it makes me laugh every time I look at one.  He may have been a great biologist but the man had no taste for palms, at all.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Wow! amazing photos! I love Andean cacti and palms :) I haven't seen many Chilean landscapes so this was really cool!

• Upvote 1

Looking for:  crytostachys hybrids, Pseudophoenix sargentii Leucothrinax morrisii, livingstona canarensis

1 hour ago, necturus said:

Great pictures. What species are the cactus?

They are Echinocereus [Echinopsis] chiloensis

Excellent coverage Albert. We were there last year but it didn't snow at all

• Upvote 1

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

• 1 year later...

Unforgetable trip

• Like 1

Thanks, Alberto! Great to see all your photos since I was just there last week! Amazing place indeed! :)

• Upvote 1

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

On 7/21/2017 at 4:49 PM, Alberto said:

Strange to see cattle grazing inside the park. I´m not sure if this is ''carelessness''  or has an ecological  purpose to substitute the effects of ancient animals that actually are absent like alpacas etc....

At 1;00 pm we ate someting at the side og this stream

DSCN9532.JPG

Thank you Alberto for the photo tour. This silver Jubaea picture is my favorite. It looks like a giant magical windmill, so perfect against the blue sky.

• Upvote 1

Fragrant Hill Design

www.fragranthill.com

Mountain View, California

10 minutes ago, daxin said:

Yes, it's also my favourite!

• 1 year later...

Thank you for this fantastic post. Yours are some of the best shots of Ocoa / La Campana National Park I have seen. And the dusting of snow on the ridgetop behind the jubaeas adds a new feature to the scene.

• Upvote 1

Jason Dewees

Inner Sunset District

San Francisco, California

Sunset zone 17

USDA zone 10a

21 inches / 530mm annual rainfall, mostly October to April

Humidity averages 60 to 85 percent year-round.

Summer: 67F/55F | 19C/12C

Winter: 56F/44F | 13C/6C

40-year extremes: 96F/26F | 35.5C/-3.8C