IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Big Splits on King Palm

BigFrond

One of my king palms got about 5 big splits down at the base.  Most are about 6 inches long and 1/2 to 3/4 inch wide.  Is there something wrong with the palm?  I noticed that this king palm is by far the fastest grower of the bunch and is very healthy.  Is this a result of the plant growing too fast?  I just hope it does not die.  I do not like the splits at all because it does not look very good.  Other than the splits the tree looks like a palm on steroids.  Will the splits go away or will it scar the tree for the rest of its life?

The splits could be caused by the fact that the palm growing so fast and increasing its girth so quickly.  I have had some palms (Royals in particular) do this.

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

Hi Guys

I too have one with the cracks, I assume it is into the ground water because I dont water it at all.

Cheers

Dennis

Sub-tropical

Summer rainfall 1200mm

Annual average temp 21c

30 South

I had the same thing happen to my King palm.  I think, at least for me, it was caused by too much water and heavy clay soil.  Kings like a lot of water, but they like it draining down through the roots.  In my case, the king was just sitting in it.  I have since adjusted the watering, and the rest of the palm continues to grow fine.  There is a little split starting about 4 feet up though.

The splits will not go away but there are some things that you can do to hide them.  I plan on growing some dense plants around the bottom, and maybe attaching some epiphytes further up.  Maybe I'll find a vine I like, to grow around the trunk.

David

David Vogelsang

OC, California

Zone 10a

Ditto on the splits.  My largest A. cunninghamiana has them too.  It's in a heavy, mostly clay soil area.  It is fattening up since it's early days of being neglected in a split 15 gallon plastic pot.  It's making up for it's youth being ripped away....oh wait, that's Michael Jackson.  I always get the two confused.  Anywho, the splits won't hurt the plant.  If you don't like them, then just do like Dave and hide them.  I think it gives them character.  There are a few palms that seems to always look perfect (R. glauca), but most have their flaws...just like us.   End of inspirational speech...Now get on out there and be somebody!!

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Kings!

Cracks!

Cosmic!  Or something like that.

I've got a big Alexandrae that was  a garbage can special, and it CRACKED at the base of the trunk, enough room for a new [expletive] continent, dang, ugly, but the crown rocks, the trunk (except for crack)will be glorious and the moral fo the story is to look skyward!

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Same here. Three of my 18 year old archys have crater-like cracks at their bases and they've been that way for many years without and detriment to their health. Luckily the cracks don't face out so you only see them if you look around to the palm's backsides.

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

maybe the new name should be "plumbers palm".

a little humor ,there.very little.

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

very little

...and I quote

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

I have had numerous Archontos split at the base.  I believe it was from too much water durng the rainy season.  Some had very deep cracks, but have since healed the majority of the wounds.  They were situated in places where there was standing water during heavy rain.

• 1 month later...

Sometimes they split from being grown in spartan conditions in which they get stunted and form a dinky little trunk, which, upon planting in the ground, becomes engorged with water and splits.

Palm not seem to care.

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I have a book on palm diseases (can't remember the exact name, otherwise I would refence it) and it states that the splits are from over watering. I have this on some A. cunninghamiana's and a foxtail as well. Cutting back on the water should stop the growth of the cracks. They will never heal though. Sprinklers spraying directly on the trunk might be a contributor as well.

Joe Dombrowski

Discovery Island Palms Nursery

San Marcos, CA

"grow my little palm tree, grow!"