IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Satakentia Liukiuensis not looking well

Orly

My satakentia liukiuensis doesn't seem to be doing well since I planted it 2-3 months ago.   The fronds have been steadily browning since the transplant into the ground.  The upper palm frond that is almost completely brown in the photos was the first one to start browning but still has a little green left.  I've had to trim off 2 other fronds that completely went brown.  The new spear has been there since I bought it but seems to have made little progress.  I gave it a light fertilization of Palm Gain about a month ago.  

I'm worried I might lose this palm if it's condition doesn't turn around.  I've planted around 50 plants over the last few months in my yard with the loss of only one and this Sataketia is by far the most expensive plant I've purchased to date.  Maybe it's just a bad case of transplant shock. I seem to have more difficulty with palms for some reason.  The only other plant I lost was coconut seedling.

Any help appreciated.

NKN_6399_DxOresize.jpg

NKN_6396_DxOresize.jpg

NKN_6397_DxOresize.jpg

Edited by Orly

I found this species to be tricky for me. For every success I had 3 failures. My last was a 3-foot juvenile that progressed like yours. I believe when I planted it I miscalculated the sun's progress north toward summer. The leaves burned and the palm succumbed before it could produce new leaves. This palm really hates full summer sun  when young. What you see may be sunburn. Your palm is much larger than mine so it may overcome all that sunburn esp. as the sun moves south toward winter.

• Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

1 hour ago, PalmatierMeg said:

I found this species to be tricky for me. For every success I had 3 failures. My last was a 3-foot juvenile that progressed like yours. I believe when I planted it I miscalculated the sun's progress north toward summer. The leaves burned and the palm succumbed before it could produce new leaves. This palm really hates full summer sun  when young. What you see may be sunburn. Your palm is much larger than mine so it may overcome all that sunburn esp. as the sun moves south toward winter.

Hmm, I wonder if it's sunburn. The large Florida Maple tree near it shades my palm from sun a good part of the day, pretty much all morning. 

It's  been a couple months and I've seen barely any growth on it. I figured it would have started up by now.   I'm hoping the growth starts up soon. 

Orly,

Given that you just plated this palm (2-3 months ago), I would agree with PalmatierMeg that it is sun burning. However with that being said, we have been in a prolonged (9 month) drought and these palm LOVE water! The only real issue that I have had with satakentis’s, (and I have lost 2 that were in the neighbors yards) was a lack of water. Make sure that it is getting plenty of water and hope for the best.  :)

• Upvote 1

Palm Beach Palm and Cycad Society Member (IPS Affiliate)

North Palm Beach

26 minutes ago, Tomw said:

Orly,

Given that you just plated this palm (2-3 months ago), I would agree with PalmatierMeg that it is sun burning. However with that being said, we have been in a prolonged (9 month) drought and these palm LOVE water! The only real issue that I have had with satakentis’s, (and I have lost 2 that were in the neighbors yards) was a lack of water. Make sure that it is getting plenty of water and hope for the best.  :)

I didn't know Satakentia were big drinkers.  I can definitely work on that.  Thx

15 minutes ago, Pal Meir said:

In their habitats on the islands of Iriomote and Ishigaki they are growing on ±steep slopes and get all the year lots of regular rain without any dry season, but they don’t like standing water.

I'm going to start to water them more deeply.  My sprinklers aren't reaching the Palm very well.  I'm going to expand it to be nearer the Satakentia later this year.

We have the temps and humidity here in Palm Beach but the rainfall amounts are falling short lately.

Thx

Edited by Orly

Y'all have been in a 9 month drought in Palm Beach?!! :huh:

For what it's worth, my 3' tall potted Satakentia is getting sunburned even through the side screen of my roofed lanai. I recently moved it to a more shady area and it seems quiet a bit more happy.

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

35 minutes ago, Missi said:

Y'all have been in a 9 month drought in Palm Beach?!! :huh:

For what it's worth, my 3' tall potted Satakentia is getting sunburned even through the side screen of my roofed lanai. I recently moved it to a more shady area and it seems quiet a bit more happy.

Doesn't seem like this palm is very hardy.

2 minutes ago, Orly said:

It grows quite well in South FL! Where's Ken Johnson?!!

We were in a severe 7-8 month drought until June. That may have helped the sun deep-six my 3-footer. Our irrigation was cut to 1x per week and even though I tried to water regularly that may not have been enough for this palm. Younger Satakentias are particularly prone to sun damage but I've seen adult ones growing in full sun on a local upscale condo development. Gorgeous palms. I once hoped to collect seeds but someone always swooped in and took them.

• Upvote 2

Meg

Florida

To me it looks like sunburn.

I lost my first one I tried a couple years ago, but I have another that is doing great. It gets plenty of water though.

20170716_153653.jpg

• Upvote 1

Lived in Cape Coral, Miami, Orlando and St. Petersburg Florida.

Huh? I know those symptoms and y'all are correct. In fact a client just showed me pics of his with desiccated newer leaves. I recommended water to help it survive the intense sun. He had lots of rain but it gets hot as hell in Florida between rain and sucks the water out of everything on the way to making the next thunderstorm!

• Upvote 1

I DIG PALMS

Call me anytime to chat about transplanting palms.

305-345-8918

https://www.facebook...KenJohnsonPalms

25 minutes ago, Ken Johnson said:

Huh? I know those symptoms and y'all are correct. In fact a client just showed me pics of his with desiccated newer leaves. I recommended water to help it survive the intense sun. He had lots of rain but it gets hot as hell in Florida between rain and sucks the water out of everything on the way to making the next thunderstorm!

That might just be my issue.  At times we get heavy rain but it gets crazy hot in between storms.  

I'm gonna water it heavily, the soil drains well.  Get some more mulch over it too.

Ah, I had a look at Pal Meir's chart, in addition to what Mr. Johnson said, it makes sense why they burn for us with our heat. I'm used to seeing mainly established adult plants. Now we know to protect our youngins. Here's mine. Trimmed some brown tips off of older leaves last night.

IMG_8640.JPG

Pal Meir,

Thaks for the great pictures. In that first picture it was a bit hard for me to pick out the group, but once I found it it was very impressive. It must have been an even better sight to see with one's own eyes!

Sorry I can't help with the diagnosis Orly. I hope your palm makes it. It sounds like you have some good direction.

• Upvote 1

Oakley, California

55 Miles E-NE of San Francisco, CA

Solid zone 9, I can expect at least one night in the mid to low twenties every year.

Hot, dry summers. Cold, wet winters.

9 minutes ago, Patrick said:

Pal Meir,

Thaks for the great pictures. In that first picture it was a bit hard for me to pick out the group, but once I found it it was very impressive. It must have been an even better sight to see with one's own eyes!

Sorry I can't help with the diagnosis Orly. I hope your palm makes it. It sounds like you have some good direction.

Thanks Patrick.

Just had a very heavy rain storm roll though here so the Satake palm just got a very good drink.  I'll continue to water it manually on dry days.  Hope it makes a difference.

15 minutes ago, Patrick said:

Pal Meir,

Better?

596ea4076d02b_Satakentia87N08-0430a.thum

• Upvote 2

My photos at flickr: flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums

They are thirsty palms, at least when young. You can't over water them. We even have one growing in constantly wet soil from a spring trickling out nearby and it is thriving. 

• Upvote 2

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

All I can do at this point is keep it well watered.  Not sure how long it will take to become acclimated but I hope it's not too long.  Drenching it with water everyday will get old.  And in the winter months when the humidity drops my Florida Maple drops all its leaves it will be more exposed to the sky.

22 hours ago, Missi said:

It grows quite well in South FL! Where's Ken Johnson?!!

23 hours ago, Orly said:

This palm is hardy after its been in the ground for a while, but like a lot of palms when there young they require more care and water. Remember that until they start spreading there roots they are still in the size of the pot. I find putting the hose on a fast drip/slow trickle at the base of the tree works well. Once you get the water worked out these palm are a pleasure. I have 12 in the ground at my house and around my house and I find them easy to grow, but my sprinklers have been optimized for full coverage and they come on every other day for 45 minutes per zone.  Good luck!

• Upvote 1

Palm Beach Palm and Cycad Society Member (IPS Affiliate)

North Palm Beach

28 minutes ago, Tomw said:

This palm is hardy after its been in the ground for a while, but like a lot of palms when there young they require more care and water. Remember that until they start spreading there roots they are still in the size of the pot. I find putting the hose on a fast drip/slow trickle at the base of the tree works well. Once you get the water worked out these palm are a pleasure. I have 12 in the ground at my house and around my house and I find them easy to grow, but my sprinklers have been optimized for full coverage and they come on every other day for 45 minutes per zone.  Good luck!

I see your in North Palm Beach as am I (PBG).  I don't think my current sprinkler setup soaks the ground near the Satakentia enough, even after 45-60 min of runtime.  I will add a sprinkler head near the palm this winter (too damn hot to do that now).  I'll also add a timer system too, it's manual right now so I usually skip a day if I get a good downpour.

I planted 4 Fijian/Samoan coconut seedlings some months ago and for the first couple of months they looked like they would not make it.  I did water them daily and all but one eventually pulled through and are flourishing now.  Might be the same with my Satakentia though thoroughly watering a palm this size takes more time.

People who don't live here (as I once didn't) have no idea how brutal FL summer sun can be. Places further get as hot, even hotter, and people that live there swear their sun is hot but they ain't seen nothing. It'll give you a 1st degree burn in 10 minutes or less if you don't wear sunscreen.

• Upvote 1

Meg

Florida

37 minutes ago, PalmatierMeg said:

People who don't live here (as I once didn't) have no idea how brutal FL summer sun can be. Places further get as hot, even hotter, and people that live there swear their sun is hot but they ain't seen nothing. It'll give you a 1st degree burn in 10 minutes or less if you don't wear sunscreen.

Yes, I agree.  The humidity plus the beaming sun equals hella-hot.

• Upvote 1

I planted mine out about 2 months or so ago. Here in Cape Coral.   Planted in a very wet spot during the rainy season.  It gets full sun from about 2 til 7.  But very moist spot.  It is 6 foot tall to the top of the tallest leaf.  Was in a 10 gallon pot and has already opened a new leaf just this week.  Keep it very moist.  I've had no sunburn to this point just a lightening of the two oldest leaves.  So far so good.  Did not fertilize it yet since planting...

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Cape Garrett said:

I planted mine out about 2 months or so ago. Here in Cape Coral.   Planted in a very wet spot during the rainy season.  It gets full sun from about 2 til 7.  But very moist spot.  It is 6 foot tall to the top of the tallest leaf.  Was in a 10 gallon pot and has already opened a new leaf just this week.  Keep it very moist.  I've had no sunburn to this point just a lightening of the two oldest leaves.  So far so good.  Did not fertilize it yet since planting...

Good to hear yours is doing well.  There is no moist spot in my yard.  It gets sun about the same time frame as yours.  

1 minute ago, Orly said:

Good to hear yours is doing well.  There is no moist spot in my yard.  It gets sun about the same time frame as yours.  

Give it a deep dose of water daily if you are not getting the heavy downpours.  Especially in the morning.  Good luck with yours.  

Here is a picture of mine.  East and south side blocked from sun and wind by areca palms.  Opened to the yard on the west side.  Notice the sprinkler head to the left just behind it too.  Gets lots of water.  The area sits in water for a time when there are heavy downpours.

20170719_195215.jpg

Edited by Cape Garrett
Add more comtent.
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Cape Garrett said:

Here is a picture of mine.  East and south side blocked from sun and wind by areca palms.  Opened to the yard on the west side.  Notice the sprinkler head to the left just behind it too.  Gets lots of water.  The area sits in water for a time when there are heavy downpours.

20170719_195215.jpg

You can also see the two lower leaves in the foreground a bit yellowed but no burn.  Also the newly opened leaf...

16 hours ago, PalmatierMeg said:

TRUTH! Even at 9 a.m.! :rant: lol

Orly,

I too am in PBG. I had the same thing happen with one I purchased a year or so ago. Like you, it was the most expensive plant I had at the time. Unfortunately it didn't make it. Mark the spear and see if you have any growth. The good new is the smaller one I have 12' away for where is was is doing great. Like everyone says, they do like water. I give mine a good drink whenever I am out watering, but I don't have any special irrigation set up for it.

Good luck!

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Orly said:

Yes, I agree.  The humidity plus the beaming sun equals hella-hot.

Whoa whoa whoa!!!! Watch it with the infringements! "Hella" is a gen-yoo-wine Northern Califonia trademark ;)

• Upvote 1

Oakley, California

55 Miles E-NE of San Francisco, CA

Solid zone 9, I can expect at least one night in the mid to low twenties every year.

Hot, dry summers. Cold, wet winters.

54 minutes ago, Patrick said:

Whoa whoa whoa!!!! Watch it with the infringements! "Hella" is a gen-yoo-wine Northern Califonia trademark ;)

:floor: How about MAD hot, yo? :lol:

• Upvote 1

Here is a Satakentia liukiuensis in this area that looks OKIMG_0770.thumb.JPG.3450c585db07402542eb3

• Upvote 1

What you look for is what is looking

3 hours ago, bubba said:

Here is a Satakentia liukiuensis in this area that looks OKIMG_0770.thumb.JPG.3450c585db07402542eb3

That purple trunk is unbelievable!  Do you know if the Borassus in the background is flowering?  Are there others on the property?

19 hours ago, swayland said:

Orly,

I too am in PBG. I had the same thing happen with one I purchased a year or so ago. Like you, it was the most expensive plant I had at the time. Unfortunately it didn't make it. Mark the spear and see if you have any growth. The good new is the smaller one I have 12' away for where is was is doing great. Like everyone says, they do like water. I give mine a good drink whenever I am out watering, but I don't have any special irrigation set up for it.

Good luck!

I marked the spear yesterday late afternoon and checked just this morning, 1/2" of growth overnight.  Well we know it's moving.  Maybe a result of all the extra watering from the past couple days?

IMG_5343.thumb.JPG.9a7233850a5883bee1348

• Upvote 1