IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Is this a Chamaedorea Elegans "Bella"?

RobustaEnvirons

So I had so many that were left over, I potted them (or as many as I had pots for). I had a bunch of 5in pots/containers that I used. I kept with 3-to-a-pot as a general rule. I tried my best to make them as "solitary" as possible while working with what I had. Since  I wasn't sure about how many to put in a pot, considering how tall my specimens are. I hope they're acceptable. They're much more elegant and ornate I will say! Down right beautiful in many regards. I've still got a bunch left over I'm going not sure what to do with. And I've still got my original Ch Elegans that is still going strong. I might un-pot that original Ch Elegans I have, and use the 8in pot for some solitary one. Maybe I should put 4-5 palms in that pot? Is that a good amount for an 8in pot? I can never tell how many palms to put in a pot/container. 

They like to be cramped right?

Richard Berry 

Toledo, Ohio. Zone 6b, along the Western Shores of Lake Erie. I'm a big Potted Palm enthusiast. I love the Washingtonia Robusta: its Resilient, Adaptable, and grows so rapidly. You can't keep it down; The Skyscraper Palm!  

Richard!

So good to hear from you again! Getting ready to send out a posse, thought you might have gotten lost . . . . . :)

Glad to see you managed to re-home your Washies. You did better in Toledo than I would have out here. And you check on them! :greenthumb:

Chamadorea elegans will tolerate being crowded, but they're a lot happier in small groups, maybe 3 - 5. That way, you'll also be more likely to get seeds. (They're dioecious.)

If you're interested in trying some Dypsis lutescens indoors, see my PM. They're not as easy as C. elegans, but they're very doable.

• Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/7/2017, 1:43:42, RobustaEnvirons said:

So I had so many that were left over, I potted them (or as many as I had pots for). I had a bunch of 5in pots/containers that I used. I kept with 3-to-a-pot as a general rule. I tried my best to make them as "solitary" as possible while working with what I had. Since  I wasn't sure about how many to put in a pot, considering how tall my specimens are. I hope they're acceptable. They're much more elegant and ornate I will say! Down right beautiful in many regards. I've still got a bunch left over I'm going not sure what to do with. And I've still got my original Ch Elegans that is still going strong. I might un-pot that original Ch Elegans I have, and use the 8in pot for some solitary one. Maybe I should put 4-5 palms in that pot? Is that a good amount for an 8in pot? I can never tell how many palms to put in a pot/container. 

They like to be cramped right?

The new ones look great!   I personally do 1 to a pot, but that is just me.    I always pot up the largest one or two as singles, then the next several largest in 2-3, then the rest maybe split in to 2 to 3 pots and give those away.    Keep up the good work! :greenthumb:

• Upvote 1

• 6 months later...
On 7/13/2017, 12:16:23, RobustaEnvirons said:

@Pal Meir Should I put a single seedling in its own pot then? Or should I put 2-3 individual seedlings in a pot? Would a 1Gal container be okay to use? They would grow into it I'd imagine. Or should I put 1 in a small container and then step it up into gradually larger containers as it grows? 

I've read they don't like to have their roots disturbed and or handled. This would undoubtedly by something that happens if I re-pot them. 

I planted out one like yours with lots of plants in it. it is now about 15 feet tall and there way too many trees in it. I would do 3, 5 or 7 trunks at the most. i am not sure why but they always say to use an odd number; its a design thing. Your picture of 3 in the pot looks nice.

Ed Mijares

Whittier, Ca

Psyco Palm Collector Wheeler Dealer

Zone 10a?

• 6 months later...

I like them in clusters, mine is several years old and they look like a mini coconut island.20181021_185218.thumb.jpg.f60d18d1fdc9b8

• Upvote 2

Los Angeles, CA and Myrtle Beach, SC.

I bought this C. elegans group with the firm idea of splitting them up and repotting them singly. The sparse look really appeals to me. They are a bit over 1m tall- would this still be feasible? I am aware that buying younger plants would likely make this prospect a bit easier. Perhaps it’s wiser to wait for spring as winter is coming on quickly.

C449BFCB-E00F-41DC-8E8D-509544DF98F6.jpeg

6 minutes ago, DennisK said:

I bought this C. elegans group with the firm idea of splitting them up and repotting them singly. The sparse look really appeals to me. They are a bit over 1m tall- would this still be feasible? I am aware that buying younger plants would likely make this prospect a bit easier. Perhaps it’s wiser to wait for spring as winter is coming on quickly.

C449BFCB-E00F-41DC-8E8D-509544DF98F6.jpeg

I suggest waiting until spring to separate them. You should have little trouble doing so if you are careful and patient. Rinse potting mix off all the roots, then tease and separate the roots like you would untangle a bundle of yarn or string. Try to avoid breaking or cutting any roots. The task may take a while but the result will be worth it. This species evolved as a solitary palm not a clumper and is a lovely little palm when grown as nature intended. Mine have flowered when less than 1 m tall.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

3 minutes ago, PalmatierMeg said:

I suggest waiting until spring to separate them. You should have little trouble doing so if you are careful and patient. Rinse potting mix off all the roots, then tease and separate the roots like you would untangle a bundle of yarn or string. Try to avoid breaking or cutting any roots. The task may take a while but the result will be worth it. This species evolved as a solitary palm not a clumper and is a lovely little palm when grown as nature intended. Mine have flowered when less than 1 m tall.

Thank you for the advice and encouragement. I much look forward to repotting them in spring, most of my individuals are holding four leaves at the moment. Fascinating that they can flower at less than one meter height. 

• Upvote 1