IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Sad Truth About Juania australis.....Maybe

Xerarch

So, Juania australis is one of those super rare palms that many a collector would like to have, it's even cold hardy, although not heat tolerant. But that isn't the biggest problem with it, here goes...sigh....it isn't that awesome! Every photo I see of it, it seems, so.....lackluster. Seriously, it doesn't look that cool in all the photos, that is, until the most recent publication of Palms from the IPS. There actually some pretty sweet specimens this time, and the leaf scars are actually pretty widely spaced, so maybe it's isn't always such a slow grower? At least after it gets some size?

Anyway I'll never have one because of the rareity and cultural requirements, but my opinion of this palm has improved after seeing some nicer specimens in habitat on its native Robinson Crusoe island.  Wonder if anyone else has a similar opinion. 

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

I've had similar opinions of this palm until seeing the most recent article in Palms, where I must say, looks beautiful in habit. 

The palm didn't  look all that attractive from the previous photos I've seen as they were probably taken from specimens outside it's narrow environmental conditions. Pretty narley and a tough grow was my thought.

That said, and living in Hilo, it would be the poster child of what NOT to grow in my garden. 

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

It has the reputation of being pretty homely for the most difficult palm to grow in the world. There's probably a lesson to be learned from that. The spectacular photos in the Palms Journal show us maybe this species will never be happy except on its windblown, chilly island.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Here are my comments from another thread;

I raised the five Juania palms from seedlings to large, 5-gallon size.  I installed them as a small grove near one another so as to increase the odds for pollination.  They grew well, but two were killed by vandalism, and the remaining three died by the normal  "Juania Death Syndrome". 

(This is when the palm grows well for several years and then dies suddenly without warning.)  The last one to die had about 24 inches of real trunk, approx. 5 inches in diameter.

This tendency is why I do not attempt to grow Juania in my garden.  Any Ceroxylon is easier, more dependable, and better looking.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

San Francisco, California

On 7/9/2017, 8:26:05, Xerarch said:

So, Juania australis is one of those super rare palms that many a collector would like to have, it's even cold hardy, although not heat tolerant. But that isn't the biggest problem with it, here goes...sigh....it isn't that awesome! Every photo I see of it, it seems, so.....lackluster. Seriously, it doesn't look that cool in all the photos, that is, until the most recent publication of Palms from the IPS. There actually some pretty sweet specimens this time, and the leaf scars are actually pretty widely spaced, so maybe it's isn't always such a slow grower? At least after it gets some size?

Anyway I'll never have one because of the rareity and cultural requirements, but my opinion of this palm has improved after seeing some nicer specimens in habitat on its native Robinson Crusoe island.  Wonder if anyone else has a similar opinion. 

Everyone knows it has a fickle reputation for cultural requirements but maybe its worse than I thought, maybe it can only look it's best in habitat. Let me know if anyone in the world has one that equals these latest photos from Palms.  If not, it is truly a unique palm indeed, with little hope of thriving off the island. I guess I can appreciate it for what it is, whatever it is. 

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

As a small, potted plant it is easy peasy lemon squeezy where I live and I find it quite attractive. I have germinated and subequently killed many Ceroxylons but the Juania remains strong. Not the fastest grower and it is not hardy enough to go into the ground here so I will probably never be able to plant it and see whether it suddenly succumbs. But perhaps that only happens in places with nights that are too warm?

Edited by Flow
  • Upvote 1

• 3 months later...

I've not seen this latest publication but I have always found the palm attractive. I have many from seed that hopefully do not succumb to any health issues but time will tell.

i know someone who recently visited the one in Ireland and sent me some photos and it seems to be doing quite well and has flowered 

• Upvote 1

• 3 years later...
On 7/10/2017 at 5:07 PM, PalmatierMeg said:

It has the reputation of being pretty homely for the most difficult palm to grow in the world. There's probably a lesson to be learned from that. The spectacular photos in the Palms Journal show us maybe this species will never be happy except on its windblown, chilly island.

It's like a reverse Marzari Palm.

Nothing to say here. 

• 5 weeks later...

San Fransisco, Scilly Isles, and Ireland are probably the best climates for Juania outside of it's native habitat.

Nothing to say here. 

11 hours ago, EastCanadaTropicals said:

San Fransisco, Scilly Isles, and Ireland are probably the best climates for Juania outside of it's native habitat.

I would also think Pismo Beach / Morro Bay area.

• Like 2