IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Sabal palmetto tiki carving

TikiRick

Haven't carved in awhile, so when some neighbors took out a few dead Sabals, I fired up the chain saw.

The Sabal is my preferred wood choice- diameter and hard wood, slow to rot.

These tikis are over 7 foot tall, and I've used a blow torch for "aging" them. A coat of urethane helps protect the wood.

Every tiki is unique! 

Once into the garden, a yellow flood light keeps the tiki vibe alive....IMG_3023.thumb.JPG.361f5520f5ab1d144161b

IMG_2901.JPG

IMG_2902.JPG

IMG_2965.JPG

IMG_2976.JPG

IMG_2982.JPG

IMG_2984.JPG

IMG_3012.JPG

IMG_3019.JPG

IMG_3031.JPG

• Like 5
  • Upvote 20

Rick Leitner

Fort Lauderdale, Florida

26.07N/80.15W

Zone 10B

Average Annual Low 67 F

Average Annual High 84 F

Average Annual Rainfall 62"

Riverfront exposure, 1 mile from Atlantic Ocean

Part time in the western mountains of North Carolina

Gratefully, the best of both worlds!

Wow, impressive work! you're an artist! :greenthumb:

08053.gif

Really well done! 

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

Those are so neat!

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Very nice Rick. no wonder you have the name TikiRick.  The Sabal trunks are very tough.  I remember reading an article about a Fort in SC made out of Sabal trunks that repealed the British during Revolutionary war.  Cannon balls just bounced off the trunks.  The Brits were probably wondering "what the hell"?  What a nice complement to your great garden.

• Upvote 1

Wow!  Rick, these are amazing!  You are so incredibly talented.  Perfect pieces for your incredible garden.  Love the crotons, by the way.  They caught my eye even before the palms.  You're into the Thai ones now?

Nice work. So what tools are required other than chainsaw and blow torch?  I'm keen to have a go myself. Any tips?  cheers Richard

Nice; both the trunks and the Rick are cut. That first one reminds me of Scooby Doo.

Ed Mijares

Whittier, Ca

Psyco Palm Collector Wheeler Dealer

Zone 10a?

Well, those look fantastic, Edward Scissor Hands with that chainsaw Rick. 

I can see those cannon balls bouncing off those tikis now.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Sweet! The one I had gotten from you about 8 years ago finally started to soften in the middle. Nice work.

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

Very nice! Can you make me one :D

Lived in Cape Coral, Miami, Orlando and St. Petersburg Florida.

very cool job Rick.

I'm also a carver

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

22 minutes ago, Josh-O said:

very cool job Rick.

I'm also a carver

Josh, got any pics you can post in a thread?  Got a buddy who may be in the market for some work.

Thanks everyone for the kind words and encouragement. Like anything else, the more you do the better you get. I'm still learning, and have yet to master cutting through the log to see space between the arms and torso for example. 

Ive carved a few more, and I think I'll try selling a few at a local plant festival. Tallest? 8' Shortest? 2'

But all are chain saw only, only sabal palm and never painted with colors. That's my brand! 

Rick Leitner

Fort Lauderdale, Florida

26.07N/80.15W

Zone 10B

Average Annual Low 67 F

Average Annual High 84 F

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Dig out as much soft wood as possible. Cap the top with a cut circular piece of wood or copper disc. Secure it.  They are prone to rot from the top due to weather. 

Rick Leitner

Fort Lauderdale, Florida

26.07N/80.15W

Zone 10B

Average Annual Low 67 F

Average Annual High 84 F

Great advice! Here's one that was rotting out. I took a slice of a King palm trunk that I cut down and sanded, stained, sealed and used construction adhesive to attach it to the top. Now it's a table for holding my beer while I sit out and admire the garden :)

image.png.7a8dcb37ce86acbe6c5621805420637f.png

• Like 2

Dave

Riverside, CA Z 9b

1700 ft. elevation

approx 40 miles inland

I might add that I've had them rot out from the bottom after many years in the garden - even when placed on gravel or stepping stones. So I use the "nastiest" post preserving liquid you can buy.  I set the tiki in a large saucer - then fill the saucer with the liquid. The end grain sucks it up, and I keep adding liquid over a few days. I have some over thirty years old with no problems. You can even repeat the process after they have dried a lot and they really suck it up then.

You can do the same with the top by flipping it over, and/or just pouring any left over liquid over the top.

Some preservatives even have a copper base to them that adds a cool highlighted green tinge to the tiki that lasts a little while in drier locations.

• Like 1

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

I drove by a house that had chopped down an old Sabal palmetto the other day and snagged some trunk sections. Now I gotta figure out how to carve them up! 

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

30 minutes ago, Zeeth said:

I drove by a house that had chopped down an old Sabal palmetto the other day and snagged some trunk sections. Now I gotta figure out how to carve them up! 

Harbor Freight came out with a disc with chain saw teeth that fits on a 4 1/2" right angle grinder. I've been going to buy one but haven't yet for a different project and thought I'd try some artistic stuff with it after my main project is done.

EDIT: found it https://www.harborfreight.com/22-tooth-carving-disc-61638.html

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, NOT A TA said:

Harbor Freight came out with a disc with chain saw teeth that fits on a 4 1/2" right angle grinder. I've been going to buy one but haven't yet for a different project and thought I'd try some artistic stuff with it after my main project is done.

EDIT: found it https://www.harborfreight.com/22-tooth-carving-disc-61638.html

That is a great idea. Looks like it should be easier to control than a chainsaw.

• 1 month later...
On 5/7/2020 at 4:18 PM, Zeeth said:

Ended up using a hammer and chisel and it didn't turn out too bad! I've got another one to do later in the week as well. 

IMG_20200613_183919.jpg

• Like 3

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)