20170627_112040.jpg

20170627_112101.jpg

20170627_112109.jpg

20170627_112134.jpg

20170627_112156.jpg

• Upvote 6

Patrick

That Caryota sure looks cute!

I just looked at your location and you should be able to grow almost ANYTHING!

Jeff_Cabinda
3 hours ago, Patrick said:

That Caryota sure looks cute!

I just looked at your location and you should be able to grow almost ANYTHING!

Nice to read that about the caryota... i was expecting a quicker start for a supposed giant. Seeds planted in October 2016. 8 month old if I am still "good" in mathematics

doranakandawatta

Nice babies

I just hope you don't have too many animals who risk to destroy these small seedlings you plant directly in the soil . 

Looking forward to seeing new pics of the growth progress.

Fusca

Very nice!  I have a few Sabal mexicana that have only 1 or 2 more leaves than yours.  They are still in containers since I germinated them from seed in 2012!  Hopefully you'll get faster growth in the ground!  My Sabal "Riverside" is only 2 years old from seed and almost the same size as my mexicanas so it is much faster in my experience.  Hope they do well for you! 

Jon

• Upvote 1

Jeff_Cabinda
15 hours ago, doranakandawatta said:

Nice babies

I just hope you don't have too many animals who risk to destroy these small seedlings you plant directly in the soil . 

Looking forward to seeing new pics of the growth progress.

Only dogs urinating on them.... or children... i warned them several times !!!

Jeff_Cabinda
12 hours ago, Fusca said:

Very nice!  I have a few Sabal mexicana that have only 1 or 2 more leaves than yours.  They are still in containers since I germinated them from seed in 2012!  Hopefully you'll get faster growth in the ground!  My Sabal "Riverside" is only 2 years old from seed and almost the same size as my mexicanas so it is much faster in my experience.  Hope they do well for you! 

Jon

Thanks Jon. Then sabal mexicana takes its time... Good news. I can notice an unusual root system on it. I do not know if it is normal and if the ground level is too high or low. You can see it on the sabal picture

Alberto

Very nice seedlings. I rember my excitment when I first planted out my seed grown babies. 

BTW Where is Cabinda?

Alberto
3 hours ago, Jeff_Cabinda said:

Only dogs urinating on them.... or children... i warned them several times !!!

Dog pee is pure acid

Jeff_Cabinda
On Wed Jun 28 2017 16:15:41 GMT+0100, Alberto said:

Very nice seedlings. I rember my excitment when I first planted out my seed grown babies. 

BTW Where is Cabinda?

Cabinda is at the mouth of congo river between congo and Zaire.  6 degree south. West african coast. 

• Upvote 2

Pal Meir

I have found an old pic of a potted Sabal mexicana ("texana") seedling, 2 years and a couple of months old; I guess your Sabal will grow a bit faster in Cabinda: :D

5967d0b4b945e_Sabaltexana84N01-0107.thum

• Upvote 3

foxtail
On 6/28/2017, 7:44:37, Jeff_Cabinda said:

I can notice an unusual root system on it. I do not know if it is normal and if the ground level is too high or low. You can see it on the sabal picture

Totally normal,  is a tillering palm, it exhibits saxophone style root growth (it has a heel), keep top third of heel above soil elevation - palmpedia.

http://www.palmpedia.net/wiki/Sabal_mexicana

• Upvote 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• treelover
      By treelover
      is bottle palm fruit edible?
    • AZ_Palm_Guy
      By AZ_Palm_Guy
      Hello everyone,  was wondering if I could have some input from others on what possible nutritional deficiencies my palm may be suffering from. 
      Received this Phoenix Rupicola from jungle music in California. As you can see it has light green and some dark green in the fronds. I was thinking possible nitrogen deficiency since it is light green all over. It also has some white substance on it, not sure if I should be concerned about that.  I have only had this palm for two days now. 
      Any input on possible deficiencies would be appreciated. 

• TobyM
      By TobyM
      Howdy yall. I’m making an effort to identify a beautiful Sabal which has been growing for at least three and not more than five years in a prototypical type locality of the North Texas palm: a mexican restaurant. I would have quickly assumed it to be a Sabal mexicana based on its size, depth of the costa, as well as the general abundance of this species hereabouts. But when I approached it I quickly noted the abundance of erect inflorescences, a quality reminding me more of S minor. Yet behold; the panicle is branched thrice, unlike minor.
      My next observation pertained to the plant’s performance during the ‘even younger dryas’ Texas Valentine’s ice age 2021. It is on a south facing stucco wall, protecting it from the wind during the ~141 hours below freezing with an ultimate low of -2F. It suffered ~65% defoliation but quickly recovered, making no delay in flowering this spring. Seems comparable to other S. mexicana in the area. 
      It is tied up to keep the fronds out of the drive-through, which I thought might be keeping the inflorescences upright. But my inspection left me feeling like the spikes are upright of their own accord, but of course I am uncertain. 
      The seeds are varied,  but larger than the S palmetto seed I have seen around here. The infloresence is quite stout. 
      Do you know if mexicana flowers before trunking? 
      Do you have a guess at the species? 
      Muchas gracias!

• teddytn
      By teddytn
      Here’s all of them when I got them unloadedThis is a 7 gallon sabal minor, begging to get plantedHere’s 2 sabal Louisiana 3 gallon That’s a palmetto on the right, sabal Louisiana center, and sabal minor 3 gallon left.I’ve got 5 more sabal minors to plant, didn’t have all my spots ready for them and they needed to get up potted. Put them in deep 7 gallon pots, they are on the right. The smallest palm on the left is a sabal etonia, and the one to the right is a sabal mexicana. I didn’t really have a plan for those just couldn’t pass them up when I was at the nursery, they were in 1 gallon pots up potted them for now.

• Daniel23
      By Daniel23
      Hi,
      I'm hoping someone could give me some advice about growing a Canary Island Date Palm (Phoenix Canariensis). I'm thinking of planting one in a circular, slightly raised brick bed in the centre of my garden, and would love the palm to start out small (about 1 to 1.5 meters tall) and grow big over the years. However, I'm not sure if the circular bed, which measures 80 cm in diameter, is big enough to achieve this. The other issue I have is that the soil under and surrounding the bed is compacted and very hard to dig. I've dug a hole about a meter deep below the bed, but as it stands, I think the roots would have difficulty breaking out into the wider soil. I can excavate the area below the bed some more to give the roots room to grow, but I'm not sure how deep and wide I should go. I'd be really grateful if someone could give me some advice on planting a Phoenix Canariensis in this environment.
      Thanks,
      Daniel