IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

SABAL WITH BIGGER LEAVES

Brighella

Hi,
i would like to know which sabal among causiarum, domingensis and maritima has the greatest crown , exactly the longest petioles? 
Has bermudana greater leaves/petioles of these 3?

What I have read is that Domingensis and causiarum have similarly sized crowns, 20' or more across.  Of the two, the domingensis has longer petioles but smaller leaves.  So causiarum is likely going to be the biggest leaves.  Here is a pic of my domingensis, 6 years from a strap leaf seedling (in a 4" square by 10" deep pot) I bought from tejas tropicals, its my fastest fan palm.  It is ~ 15' tall overall and approaching 20' wide in the crown.  Look at the open crown created by the long petioles, which are upt to 8' in length.  This palm is in a high, dry spot where irrigation is not so good, it could have more leaves if it were watered more thoroughly.  the causiarum has a less open crown in part due to the bigger leaves, and somewhat shorter petioles.

domingensis1.PNG

• Like 2
  • Upvote 5

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

Thanks for answering,

I still have some question:
Which are the princpalis differences (if there are..) between a maritima and a dominigensis?
Is it true that Bermudana has  bigger leaf (with a smaller crown) then dominguensis/causiarum/maritima?

From the photos I've seen, Bermudana has relatively short petioles and large leaves.

Sonoranfan- beautiful domingensis! Can we see some shots of your other sabals? Uresana?

How would S. Mexicana fit in as far as canopy/leaf size compared to uresana or causiarum?

1.jpg

Edited by Brian F. Austin
  • Upvote 3

Brian, I dont know about mexicana, but domingensis leaves are about 6'(along the direction of the petiole) but highly costpalmate.  Interesting comparison in growth rate with my uresana, also bought from tejas at the same time, same container size.  Its a notably slower grower, probably 10-11' overall.  Both are in full sun.  Here is my uresana with serenoa repens silver underneath and a bizzie next to it for color reference.  It is bluish and it seems that its retaining that blue tint.

Suresana.PNG

• Upvote 2

Tom Blank

11 hours ago, Brighella said:

Thanks for answering,

I still have some question:
Which are the princpalis differences (if there are..) between a maritima and a dominigensis?
Is it true that Bermudana has  bigger leaf (with a smaller crown) then dominguensis/causiarum/maritima?

Its been a while but as I recall maritima is a tad smaller than domingensis in crown and bermudana is the smallest of the 4 including causiarum.  I have not seen a maritima in person, just read about it and pics.  I had a bermudana in my last house and it went to seed, leaves were smaller than the domingensis for sure and obviously the causiarum which has the largest leaves of any sabal(but not quite bizzie size).

Tom Blank

I went to a nursery today.
Can you confirm that these are sabal domingensis?

IMG-20170531-WA0026.jpg

IMG-20170531-WA0027.jpg

brighella,  I cannot identify any of these sabals at that age.  Some of these sabals can only be differentiated by the orders of branching of the inflorescence and fruit sizes.  Did the nursery say where they got the seed?  Those could be domingensis, but I cant understand why anyone would pot up a double maritima, domingensis, or causiarum, they are too big when mature for that.  the leaves are highly costpalmate like domingensis, but that would not be definitive.

Tom Blank

On the length of petioles, this will depend on sun exposure.  When under canopy the petioles will elongate substantially and they will be shorter in direct sun(like my Domingensis).  Still in direct sun mine has some petioles as long as 8' and maybe a tad longer.  I have no idea how long they would be under canopy.  In my experience many sun loving palms are thinner in crown, have longer petioles and hold less leaves when under canopy.  this is certainly true of wild stands of sabal palmetto in florida.

Tom Blank

22 hours ago, sonoranfans said:

Brian, I dont know about mexicana, but domingensis leaves are about 6'(along the direction of the petiole) but highly costpalmate.  Interesting comparison in growth rate with my uresana, also bought from tejas at the same time, same container size.  Its a notably slower grower, probably 10-11' overall.  Both are in full sun.  Here is my uresana with serenoa repens silver underneath and a bizzie next to it for color reference.  It is bluish and it seems that its retaining that blue tint.

Suresana.PNG

Thanks for sharing the photos. The uresana looks at home with the other silvers and blues. I think I like the open look of the domingensis. The uresana have very striking fronds though.

On June 7, 2017 at 3:14:50 PM, sonoranfans said:

What I have read is that Domingensis and causiarum have similarly sized crowns, 20' or more across.  Of the two, the domingensis has longer petioles but smaller leaves.  So causiarum is likely going to be the biggest leaves.  Here is a pic of my domingensis, 6 years from a strap leaf seedling (in a 4" square by 10" deep pot) I bought from tejas tropicals, its my fastest fan palm.  It is ~ 15' tall overall and approaching 20' wide in the crown.  Look at the open crown created by the long petioles, which are upt to 8' in length.  This palm is in a high, dry spot where irrigation is not so good, it could have more leaves if it were watered more thoroughly.  the causiarum has a less open crown in part due to the bigger leaves, and somewhat shorter petioles.

domingensis1.PNG

That's a beauty, Tom.

This is labeled as S. casaurium at Palomar College.  It's a pretty big palm - probably approaching 3' at the base.  I have trouble telling it apart from S. domengensis.

Any thoughts?  Big seeds.  

IMG_4242.thumb.jpg.dcf006c28e5bd349786f0

Here's a few local Sabals.  Hopefully these can provide some scale.  I went with the names, as I've seen them described.

Sabal "Riverside".  

Morley Field, Balboa Park, San Diego.

58731d750a372_SabalriversideMorley2.jpg.58731d7306513_SabalriversideMorley1.jpg.

Sabal bermudana

Balboa Park, by the cottages, on the south rim of Palm Canyon.

IMG_2104.jpg.9478803cea93af6543f59549667IMG_4486.jpg.1c43b3fef43c6e6b0e5c4ac9f51

Sabal palmetto

San Diego Zoo

IMG_4507.jpg.209bd12b5c8bd7198e67029128d

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 6/9/2017, 6:35:10, The Steve said:

That's a beauty, Tom.

This is labeled as S. casaurium at Palomar College.  It's a pretty big palm - probably approaching 3' at the base.  I have trouble telling it apart from S. domengensis.

Any thoughts?  Big seeds.  

IMG_4242.thumb.jpg.dcf006c28e5bd349786f0

I believe the orders of branching of the inflorescence can be used to differentiate, 4 for causiarum, less for domingensis.  Check out these causiarum.  http://www.palmpedia.net/wiki/Sabal_causiarum   ALso the monohraph on sabals https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/87c0/552d12162e67e912d7abcf700777515b5809.pdf    see figure `14 dendogram  7( 4 orders), 6(3 orders).  the causiarum in the link show large leaves and thick petioles.    the one you posted looks like causiarum to me.  I have noticed more rigid leaflets, less costpalmate, and a thicker trunk on mature sabals.    

Tom Blank

• 3 years later...
On 6/7/2017 at 5:14 PM, sonoranfans said:

domingensis1.PNG

Howdy, do you have an update of how this guy is doing? Do you mind posting some pictures if possible? Thank you

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

On 6/9/2017 at 8:39 PM, Sabal Steve said:

Here's a few local Sabals.  Hopefully these can provide some scale.  I went with the names, as I've seen them described.

Sabal "Riverside".  

Morley Field, Balboa Park, San Diego.

58731d750a372_SabalriversideMorley2.jpg.58731d7306513_SabalriversideMorley1.jpg.

Sabal bermudana

Balboa Park, by the cottages, on the south rim of Palm Canyon.

IMG_2104.jpg.9478803cea93af6543f59549667IMG_4486.jpg.1c43b3fef43c6e6b0e5c4ac9f51

Sabal palmetto

San Diego Zoo

IMG_4507.jpg.209bd12b5c8bd7198e67029128d

Was the Sabal Riverside Labeled Sabal Riverside?

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

Collectorpalms,  did you see this thread from a few days ago ?

San Francisco, California

10 minutes ago, Darold Petty said:

Collectorpalms,  did you see this thread from a few days ago ?

Yes, I saw that but thought the first picture was Domingensis and the recent thread was Causarium.