IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

New Trachycarpus Fortunei - Utah

TropicalUtah

I have been following several posts and appreciate the knowledge I am starting to acquire. I live in Lehi, Utah which is zone 6B and recently purchase a 5 gallon Trachycarpus Fortunei (Windmill Palm) while in St. George, Utah. Our coldest temperature last winter was -3F. I would love to plant this in my yard and protect it during the winter months. Does any one have any tips on how I can increase the odds of helping this palm survive? I am planning on planting it in well amended and draining soil, and in full sun.

Also, is it large enough to plant in the ground?

Thanks for your time and advice!

Greg

IMG_8838.jpg

Edited by TropicalUtah
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

One more question...will this Windmill Palm do well away from the house and in full sun? Should the planting area be raised?

Thank you

Site selection goes a long way. Use natural barriers like a structure, wall or other trees. Sunny location as well, but with a measure of shade during the day. I have all but one of mine close to the house, and one WAY off on it's own.

I don't know what your average winter temps are, but a heat source like C7 or C9 Christmas lights with thermocube as a added measure.

Of course, you'll need to have it covered especially first few years. Not sure how tall yours will be when planted but even a garbage can with a rock on top will work. If it stays happy and grows you'll need to actually build something around it and there are members on here that have done it many different ways(I use the white 55 gallon plastic barrels lined with foam) I'm in a 5b/6a climate.

DSCF0217.JPG

DSCF0219.JPG

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I am currently experimenting with one in the ground in 6a Colorado (west Denver). Our minimum temp this past winter was close to yours, possibly a couple degrees warmer.  I planted it last month very close to my south-facing white brick wall. It currently doesn't really have shade, which may prove to be a big negative this summer.  But of course I was thinking about the winter when I planted it there.  I had bulbs sprout against that wall mid-January so I'm banking on some of that heat helping out.  We might build an arbor in the yard which could potentially help with shade in the summer.  If we don't move this fall, I plan on keeping it in-ground and protecting with plastic barrel and Christmas lights during cold snaps (if we move it's coming out). During average and above days I was going to remove protection to prevent rot.  Since I just recently planted this palm, I don't really have any words of wisdom. Guess we'll both be learning!

Edited by pin38
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Mike in zone 6 Missouruh

On 6/5/2017, 3:23:17, sashaeffer said:

Site selection goes a long way. Use natural barriers like a structure, wall or other trees. Sunny location as well, but with a measure of shade during the day. I have all but one of mine close to the house, and one WAY off on it's own.

I don't know what your average winter temps are, but a heat source like C7 or C9 Christmas lights with thermocube as a added measure.

Of course, you'll need to have it covered especially first few years. Not sure how tall yours will be when planted but even a garbage can with a rock on top will work. If it stays happy and grows you'll need to actually build something around it and there are members on here that have done it many different ways(I use the white 55 gallon plastic barrels lined with foam) I'm in a 5b/6a climate.

DSCF0217.JPG

DSCF0219.JPG

Thanks so much for the helpful post and pictures! Yours look to be fairly tall, nicely done. I will follow your advice and pick an ideal location and use heat and protection in the winter. Please keep me posted on yours and share some pictures when you remove the barrels. I am also growing a Sabal Minor and some Musa Basjoo. Fingers crossed everything thrives and grows well.

23 hours ago, pin38 said:

I am currently experimenting with one in the ground in 6a Colorado (west Denver). Our minimum temp this past winter was close to yours, possibly a couple degrees warmer.  I planted it last month very close to my south-facing white brick wall. It currently doesn't really have shade, which may prove to be a big negative this summer.  But of course I was thinking about the winter when I planted it there.  I had bulbs sprout against that wall mid-January so I'm banking on some of that heat helping out.  We might build an arbor in the yard which could potentially help with shade in the summer.  If we don't move this fall, I plan on keeping it in-ground and protecting with plastic barrel and Christmas lights during cold snaps (if we move it's coming out). During average and above days I was going to remove protection to prevent rot.  Since I just recently planted this palm, I don't really have any words of wisdom. Guess we'll both be learning!

Great to hear from someone next door! I appreciate your helpful info and will try and replicate what you have done. I also plan on using Christmas lights and barrels during the winter months. My planting spot is in my backyard which is on the north side, so I am likely going to plant it out in the open with full sun. Here's to hoping our palms grow and thrive! I will keep you posted on my progress, please do the same on your end!

5 hours ago, sashaeffer said:

Here ya go. End of May 2017

DSCF0276.JPG

Very impressive! Thanks for sharing and I am motivated to help mine thrive. I will keep you posted.

• 3 years later...

I recently moved to St George Utah from Caoe Coral Florids.  I LOVE palm trees.  I would like to try a foxtail palm here.  I know it gets too cold and is probably too dry.  If you can baby a palm aling in Denver amd other cold areas, do i dare try a foxtail here?  Christmas lights sound great. Barrels to a point until it gets too tall. Any ideas or suggestions?

I recently moved to St George Utah from Caoe Coral Florids.  I LOVE palm trees.  I would like to try a foxtail palm here.  I know it gets too cold and is probably too dry.  If you can baby a palm aling in Denver amd other cold areas, do i dare try a foxtail here?  Christmas lights sound great. Barrels to a point until it gets too tall. Any ideas or suggestions?

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/5/2017 at 5:23 PM, sashaeffer said:

DSCF0217.JPG

DSCF0219.JPG

try making that barrel black it will absorb more sun

• Like 1

"The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it."
~ Neil deGrasse Tyson

On 11/18/2020 at 6:54 AM, climate change virginia said:

Yes, something to consider, and to see if paint will stick to it.

26 minutes ago, sashaeffer said:
On 11/18/2020 at 7:54 AM, climate change virginia said:

Yes, something to consider, and to see if paint will stick to it.

if it dosent stick sand it then paint it

"The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it."
~ Neil deGrasse Tyson

On 11/19/2020 at 1:27 PM, climate change virginia said:

if it dosent stick sand it then paint it

Had some grill spray paint. Nice flat black color so painted 1/2 of the barrel that faces south so we’ll see.

41957DD6-ECE7-4DE0-AA2E-1B745909A1AF.jpeg

1 hour ago, sashaeffer said:

Had some grill spray paint. Nice flat black color so painted 1/2 of the barrel that faces south so we’ll see.

41957DD6-ECE7-4DE0-AA2E-1B745909A1AF.jpeg

nice

Edited by climate change virginia

~ Neil deGrasse Tyson