IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Queen after first winter in Virginia

SEVA

17 hours ago, sevapalms said:

@SEVA How is your majesty palm doing?

It's dead.  I dug it up and placed it in a pot at the end of summer/ early fall last year, which apparently was a mistake.   It slowly declined indoors over the winter.  It had 2 inches of clear trunk on it too.

USDA Hardiness Zone 7b/8a

AHS Heat Zone 7

1 hour ago, SEVA said:

It's dead.  I dug it up and placed it in a pot at the end of summer/ early fall last year, which apparently was a mistake.   It slowly declined indoors over the winter.  It had 2 inches of clear trunk on it too.

That’s sad, but I guess it was probably going to die soon anyway. They are relatively cheap though, so it might not be too hard to replace at least.

Edited by sevapalms

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/23/2019 at 12:00 PM, sevapalms said:

That’s sad, but I guess it was probably going to die soon anyway. They are relatively cheap though, so it might not be too hard to replace at least.

I probably won't be trying a majesty again anytime soon.  I've got a few other palms in mind to experiment with that are currently growing in pots.  Also, the queen palm seedling is completely brown now.  I tugged on it and it did not pull, but probably will eventually.  I'm just going to leave it alone for now.

Edited by SEVA
  • Upvote 1

AHS Heat Zone 7

Oh and the warblers are back. Better photos this time.

Warblers_dry.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

AHS Heat Zone 7

Right after a torrential downpour; we've been getting a lot of rain lately.  Yet, we recently had upper 90s - 100 degree temperatures in May without rain and everything was drying up.

Warblers_rain.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

AHS Heat Zone 7

1 hour ago, SEVA said:

I probably won't be trying a majesty again anytime soon.  I've got a few other palms in mind to experiment with that are currently growing in pots.  Also, the queen palm seedling is completely brown now.  I tugged on it and it did not pull, but probably will eventually.  I'm just going to leave it alone for now.

1 hour ago, SEVA said:

Oh and the warblers are back. Better photos this time.

Warblers_dry.jpg

1 hour ago, SEVA said:

Right after a torrential downpour; we've been getting a lot of rain lately.  Yet, we recently had upper 90s - 100 degree temperatures in May without rain and everything was drying up.

Warblers_rain.jpg

That’s probably a good plan. The majesty palm wouldn’t been long term anyway.

Those nests are interesting.

The weather has been very bipolar here, like you said. Late May was hot and dry, but in the past 5 days I’ve had like 3-4 inches of rain.

• 5 months later...
13 hours ago, sipalms said:

How is this Queen Palm going, did it out on some decent recovery growth over winter?

It did grow a few fronds, but I think the growth is slowing down.  The attached photo is from before our first freeze.

1028190852d_HDR.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

AHS Heat Zone 7

• 11 months later...

How are the queens doing? @SEVA

• Upvote 3

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 2 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 2 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 1 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

On 11/20/2020 at 10:59 AM, JLM said:

How are the queens doing? @SEVA

The queen doesn’t look too great, but the fronds damaged by the tropical storm are still green at least. 

396E76A7-8DEA-4BE0-B787-13687252D28C.jpeg

• Like 5

AHS Heat Zone 7

Ive had my share of tropical systems this year, Sally came through here bringing hurricane conditions to my area for 3-5 hours. Zeta blew through just north of here but still brought 60 mph gusts. Isaias was a bad storm for almost all of the eastcoast, i hope your queen survives this winter!

• Like 2

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 2 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 2 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 1 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

On 4/8/2018 at 9:15 PM, NC_Palms said:

@SEVA You have inspired me to try to grow coconuts, queens and Bismarckias in North Carolina! 

um you can try heres a vid that might help 

"The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it."
~ Neil deGrasse Tyson