IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

For learning about a genus it is easier for me to see different related species nearby.

However aesthetically I would much rather have several of the same species together, but not too close to similar ones. 

Thus I plan to put my two C. sullivaniorum seedlings

DSCN6459.thumb.jpg.7b9975d0d6b1810d64af4

in a different spot than my 5 little C. tuerckheimii trees (3 girls, 1 boy and 1 unknown)

DSCN6458.thumb.jpg.f0c5b33e9e562d2205652

I have heard that many Coccothrinax species interbreed easily.

Is that of any concern between Chamaedoreas or within the Licualas?

DSCN6470.thumb.jpg.e336d57ef28e3feffcdec

Sadly only one lonely C. amabilis.... Unless any of you have a source of more?

DSCN6473.thumb.jpg.cf3f6356fed73e9c76ffe

2 C. frondosas although I think I have a third somewhere.

As to Licualas, right now my 1 L. cordata (bottom left) and 2 L. orbicularis look alike to me, but no flowers yet.

DSCN6460.thumb.jpg.f3b0592ec7ae1f9807b10

Or should I worry more about the chance of snow in the tropics than hybridization of most palms? Thanks!

• Upvote 1

Cindy Adair

Snow in PR, for sure. I have grown all of the chams you show in large numbers and in side-by-side settings in both Guatemala and California for years with no hybridization evident. In the case of my garden in Guatemala, native pollinators were certainly present. Indeed, even with careful and eye-straining, time-consuming hand-pollination of those species, success rates are low to nil for most growers.

Plants look great, BTW.

J

Dang Cindy! Big time post there, with your species name drop! As far as Licuala, there is no need to worry about hybridization. Almost the same goes for Chamaedorea. Though there are hybrids, it doesn't happen all on it's own, 99% of the time. With Coccos, it seems no matter how far away you place them, the seed is never pure...

4 hours ago, stone jaguar said:

Snow in PR, for sure. I have grown all of the chams you show in large numbers and in side-by-side settings in both Guatemala and California for years with no hybridization evident. In the case of my garden in Guatemala, native pollinators were certainly present. Indeed, even with careful and eye-straining, time-consuming hand-pollination of those species, success rates are low to nil for most growers.

Plants look great, BTW.

J

Thanks so much for the information and compliment.

I have seen photos of your plants over the years and they are amazing! I hope those PR pollinators are plentiful and eager to get to work.

I'd like a forest of each of these and some to share with others here too!

Cindy Adair

1 hour ago, Mandrew968 said:

Dang Cindy! Big time post there, with your species name drop! As far as Licuala, there is no need to worry about hybridization. Almost the same goes for Chamaedorea. Though there are hybrids, it doesn't happen all on it's own, 99% of the time. With Coccos, it seems no matter how far away you place them, the seed is never pure...

I don't really have very many Chamaedoreas and clearly should have started with at least 5-7 of each instead of my cheapskate 3. I was able to add the 2 potato chip trees over the last couple of years, but odds are against getting both sexes on most of my others unless I can add more.

I am glad Licualas are not dioecious, not that I would not still prefer to have several of each species since I like them so much.

Wonder why some species hybridize easily and many never? Anybody here know?

What other genera share this trait with Coccothrinax?

Cindy Adair

1 hour ago, Cindy Adair said:

I don't really have very many Chamaedoreas and clearly should have started with at least 5-7 of each instead of my cheapskate 3. I was able to add the 2 potato chip trees over the last couple of years, but odds are against getting both sexes on most of my others unless I can add more.

I am glad Licualas are not dioecious, not that I would not still prefer to have several of each species since I like them so much.

Wonder why some species hybridize easily and many never? Anybody here know?

What other genera share this trait with Coccothrinax?

Cindy, how nice of you to ask such a simple question! Lol. There are many factors including pollen make up/consistency, size and shape of the flowers, and how close they are to one another... Other very promiscuous palm genera would be Copernicia, Attalea, Syagrus, and Livistona (to name a few...) ok, time for bed!

Excellent collection Cindy!! I'm VERY jealous of your sullivanoriums!! The most I saw at once was a trip to Pauleens poolhouse where she had at least 5.. Good luck!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

11 hours ago, Mandrew968 said:

Cindy, how nice of you to ask such a simple question! Lol. There are many factors including pollen make up/consistency, size and shape of the flowers, and how close they are to one another... Other very promiscuous palm genera would be Copernicia, Attalea, Syagrus, and Livistona (to name a few...) ok, time for bed!

Thanks Andrew! I have no Attaleas (yet) and only one Syagrus now (vermicularis) and a couple of Livistonas (nitida and saribus). However I have enough Copernicias to perhaps at least segregate them to different quadrants.

Cindy Adair

6 hours ago, BS Man about Palms said:

Excellent collection Cindy!! I'm VERY jealous of your sullivanoriums!! The most I saw at once was a trip to Pauleens poolhouse where she had at least 5.. Good luck!

Thanks Bill. I am jealous that you got to meet their namesake, Pauleen plus have local Palm societies. Alway trade-offs....

Cindy Adair

• 2 years later...
On 6/2/2017 at 7:47 PM, stone jaguar said:

even with careful and eye-straining, time-consuming hand-pollination of those species, success rates are low to nil for most growers.

Does this mean that there is no real chance to hybridize my Chamaedorea Microspadix (left) with my Chamaedorea Radicalis 'Arborescent (right)? Not that I would mean to produce a very good-looking palm but these would be my first produced hybrids:w00t:.

I read on palmpedia that Chamaedoreas are diecious. Are those inflorescences by any chance male and female and which is which?

radicalis_et_microspadix.thumb.JPG.72f6989afb25cdca46381a2726876412.JPG

Chamaedorea Microspadix flower (second time this year)

358502202_microspadixflower.thumb.JPG.1fb708bf2e35313d43350c286719139b.JPG

C. Radicalis arborescent (first time ever)

479167721_chamaedorearadicalisflower.thumb.JPG.e7a712af9edf5cd1d3f27e384f938874.JPG

Edited by LivistonaFan

Inflorescence of radicalis is female.  The other one is still hidden in the peduncular bract and therefore I can not tell yet.

Edited by Phoenikakias
  • Upvote 1

These are probably hybrids of C glaucifolia with another sp, either costaricana, or elegans or microspadix.  Out of 30 seeds I had gathered from my glaucifolia only 4 or 5 have germinated so far and those after many, many months.  Even more interestingly ungerminated seeds refuse to rot either. I wonder if it an indication of hybridization difficulty of seeds to germinate. Unless of course it is rare but possible that some flowers are hermaphrodite.

20190915_145310.jpg

20190915_145319.jpg

• Like 2