IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Effects of heat on palms(so cal)

STEVE IN SO CAL

I have three Kentias about 5' tall in morning sun that look like I could bale them and feed them to livestock. Same with some 1 gal Rhopies and Hedyscepes.

On the other hand, my Copernicias think they are home again and are quite perky. Also my Dypsis, Roystonias and Braheas seem to be enjoying themselves...

How about any other socalians???

If global warming means I can grow Cocos Nucifera, then bring it on....

Steve,

As always, my results this year are mixed. More good than bad though. The heat we've had has been accompanied by the humidity, so I don't get the plant burn I'd otherwise experience. Seems like everything has grown by a foot in the last month. Exeptions that continue to struggle are Hyophorbe indica, a Howea belmoreana & a Chambeyonia. On the other hand, my Leppidorhachis should be wilting, but is growing really nicely. Mixed results, but I guess they always are. That's what makes it interesting!!

B/R's

Bret

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

According to my digital thermometer, it got to 120 (in the shade no less) at my home in La Mesa this last weekend.

Several of my chams, which are under 75% shade cloth (shade sail)  got burned, as did a bunch of my orchids which are also under the cloth.  

None of the palms I have planted in sun suffered severe damage.  A couple Caryota now have sun spotted  leaves, but that seems to be the worst of it.  But,  many of my cycads, including encephalartos, got nuked.  New flushes detroyed, old leaves fried.  This was surprising to me as I though enceph were a tad more heat tolerant, but 120 is pretty hot.  

All of my bananas got cooked, as did some of the vine plants I have.  Lastly, Several common shade trees I have planted are now losing all their leaves, totally burned.

We've been hitting triple F digits for quite a while, much warmer than normal, with humidity varying from about 18-55% or higher.

My Rhopies in 100% shade show no wear, but I don't even give them morning sun here right now.   Haven't marked them for growth, but they look like they're not.  Kentias in 100% shade likewise.  My Cham costaricana is pretty fried in dappled morning sun, but growing fast to recover of course.  My Braheas and Sabals are fine, except my S. mauritiiformis has just a touch of burn in part shade (it was originally sun grown on the coast).    All my Dypsis are fine, and the decipiens I moved to a new area is pushing a new spear that looks healthier than the last.  I won't mention all the seedlings which I've mainly moved indoors to 80-85F.  Bananas look a bit stressed.  Queens are reaching for the moon, tho' I giving them tons of water, along with all the Phoenix roebellenii.  And I'm waiting to plant a bunch of Archontophoenix cunninghamiana into full sun.

San Francisco Bay Area, California

Zone 10a

(Kathy @ Jul. 26 2006,11:46)

And I'm waiting to plant a bunch of Archontophoenix cunninghamiana into full sun.

Be careful with those......If they have not seen full sun before, they will fry quickly!  

Of course, if they are large enough, theyll recover and new growth will be acclimated, but you might have to look at a mess for awhile.  I have a couple I have had to visually ignore for a few months now (and they are planted on the north side of my house) :D

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

Exactly, I just posted on another topic of my Archontophoenix which is fried up to a crispy black - even the trunk portion that faces west is orangy/ black. This one is my first casuality. And I'll never make that mistake again.

There's a couple in full sun in my neighborhood, so I don't understand why there's the difference.

Scott

San Fernando Valley, California

Sunset Climate Zone 18

None of my  Archontophoenix have been bothered by temps 110f+ for 5 days... My kentia did get toasted a little on the south side.

Jeff

Modesto, CA USDA 9b

July/August average 95f/63f

Dec/Jan average 55f/39f

Average lowest winter temp 27f

Record low temp 18f

Record high temp 113f

(Scott @ Jul. 26 2006,13:40)

Exactly, I just posted on another topic of my Archontophoenix which is fried up to a crispy black - even the trunk portion that faces west is orangy/ black. This one is my first casuality. And I'll never make that mistake again.

There's a couple in full sun in my neighborhood, so I don't understand why there's the difference.

They will acclimate over time.

Larry 

Maybe I should just stay quite, but in Coastal San Diego, we've only had one really hot day.  On Saturday, It definitely got up to about 100, but then at ~3PM a southerly breeze came up and it cooled down to 90 within minutes.  Otherwise we've been in the lower 90s I think with some days not going over 90.  Nights are in the low 70s.  The humidity is GREAT!  The plants are loving it without exception.  

Matt

San Diego

0.6 Acres of a south facing, gently sloped dirt pile, soon to be impenetrable jungle

East of Mount Soledad, in the biggest cold sink in San Diego County.

Zone 10a (I hope), Sunset 24

The humidity ROCKS.

Palms love it.

Even the desert ones.

But I dont' think this is even close.

Plenty of water, no dysentery, sounds reggae .. .

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

rukidingme?

Grreat name, tell us more, nice to see you.

Where, exactlyl, are you and what, exactly, do you grow or want to?

dave

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

(spockvr6 @ Jul. 26 2006,11:53)

(Kathy @ Jul. 26 2006,11:46)

And I'm waiting to plant a bunch of Archontophoenix cunninghamiana into full sun.

Be careful with those......If they have not seen full sun before, they will fry quickly!  

Of course, if they are large enough, theyll recover and new growth will be acclimated, but you might have to look at a mess for awhile.  I have a couple I have had to visually ignore for a few months now (and they are planted on the north side of my house) :D

Thanks Larry.  Yeah, I'm spending some bucks for sun-grown babies with a couple of inches of trunk, but I don't want to press my luck and plant now.  The local nursery even moved some of their stock under light shade cloth for this heat.  But all the homes here with mature ones planted out are OK.  I soooo wanted to save money and start smaller, but then I'd have to erect a shade structure for a long time.  I don't want to wait.  

For you guys in San Diego, what has your humidity been running?

San Francisco Bay Area, California

Zone 10a

Kathy,

I was checking the NWS yesterday and for one of the recent days, at the San Diego Airport sensor, the humidity was between 70 and 85% all day with a high of 84F.  This time of year coastal areas usually have relative humidity around 50% during the warmest part of the day.

Matt

San Diego

0.6 Acres of a south facing, gently sloped dirt pile, soon to be impenetrable jungle

East of Mount Soledad, in the biggest cold sink in San Diego County.

Zone 10a (I hope), Sunset 24

The humidity at midday has been around 40%-50% at my pad (9 miles inland).   Usually it's lower, like 20% or 30%.

Heat on palms status report: :o

Dypsis/Neophaloga "Pink Crownshaft" (5 gal):  All but the two newest leaves are toasted.  This was under 75% shade cloth.  It burnt immediately on Saturday with a high of 105F-108F  (40.5C-42.2C).

Dypsis St. Lucie (small 2 gal): Tip burn on older leaves and the whole thing looks yellow.  It was also under 75% shade cloth.  I'm not sure this is entirely from the heat.  I decided to bareroot it and give it some new soil and found only one main root actully showing signs of growth...no new adventitious roots forming.  So it got a Daconil drench and repotted.

Archontophoenix myolensis (in ground 6" clear trunk):  This is burning on all but the 2 newer leaves.  It's in full sun and has been since last summer but this summer is taking it's toll.  Still growing fast though.

All others are loving it.  As Dave would say, "Go Roystonia Go!!"

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

(Matt in SD @ Jul. 28 2006,13:03)

Kathy,

I was checking the NWS yesterday and for one of the recent days, at the San Diego Airport sensor, the humidity was between 70 and 85% all day with a high of 84F.  This time of year coastal areas usually have relative humidity around 50% during the warmest part of the day.

Matt

Hot dang...84F and 70% RH is a dewpoint of about 73F and that is HUMID for SD!

Larry 

Hot dang is right.  Just for the record it's 84F with a relative humidity of 67% here at work at 1:00 pm. I am sticky.  This is rare.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

(MattyB @ Jul. 28 2006,13:44)

Dypsis/Neophaloga "Pink Crownshaft" (5 gal):  All but the two newest leaves are toasted.  This was under 75% shade cloth.  It burnt immediately on Saturday with a high of 105F-108F  (40.5C-42.2C).

Hmm.  My Dypsis "pink crownshaft" under 30% shade cloth in my cold frame didn't suffer at all in the heat.  My highs were similar to yours.  Did the soil dry out on yours maybe?

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...

Hmm.

Gonna have to drag out the 50% for my Rhopies.  Anyone got some honey-mustard dipping sauce?  :(

dave