Pal Meir

Which genus/species do these giant roots belong to? :wacko:

59230bd618698_PalmRoots.thumb.jpg.7405fd

Jerry@TreeZoo

Gaussia have big roots.

Neil C

I'm trying to think what palms you have Pal...Chamaerops?

Regards Neil

Edited by Neil C
typo

Pal Meir
8 minutes ago, Neil C said:

I'm trying to think what palms you have Pal...Chamaerops?

Regards Neil

I have also photos of palms I don’t have: :D

59235e9607f83_4587N08-0510.thumb.jpg.d50

gtsteve

I am not convinced that they are big roots. I have seen how closely you can focus that macro lens.

I don't know, but I'm tipping that it is only a giant in Lilliput. 

Laaz

Rhapis.

• Upvote 2

gtsteve

Looks like my Chamaedorea plumosa.

592385c7750e6_chamy(1).thumb.JPG.e2ad5e5

592385d4c25e0_chamy(2).thumb.JPG.155d0cf

• Upvote 3

Pal Meir

Thank you all for your guesses! Yes, @gtsteve, you were right: My "giant" palm is very similar to your Chamaedorea, but even smaller, the diameter at the base is only 1 cm. And therefore the winner is: @Laaz, it is a Rhapis laosensis. Congratulations! :greenthumb::D

5923f4e6cdc85_Rhapisspa2017-05-22IMG_921

• Upvote 3

doranakandawatta
11 hours ago, Pal Meir said:

Thank you all for your guesses! Yes, @gtsteve, you were right: My "giant" palm is very similar to your Chamaedorea, but even smaller, the diameter at the base is only 1 cm. And therefore the winner is: @Laaz, it is a Rhapis laosensis. Congratulations! :greenthumb::D

5923f4e6cdc85_Rhapisspa2017-05-22IMG_921

Nice Baby,

Is that a mulch on the pot? or is your Rhapis growing in a garden?

Pal Meir
1 hour ago, doranakandawatta said:

Nice Baby,

Is that a mulch on the pot? or is your Rhapis growing in a garden?

It is mulch in a pot made of fronds of Lytocaryum weddellianum in the upper layer and L insigne below.

• Upvote 1

doranakandawatta
6 hours ago, Pal Meir said:

It is mulch in a pot made of fronds of Lytocaryum weddellianum in the upper layer and L insigne below.

Happy Rhapis getting a luxury mulch ... Lytocaryum fronds ... of course, I should have guessed !

Pal Meir
7 hours ago, doranakandawatta said:

Happy Rhapis getting a luxury mulch ... Lytocaryum fronds ... of course, I should have guessed !

I love the Lytocaryum-typical pattern: B)

59257676e44d2_MulchP1030621.thumb.jpg.e7

• Upvote 1

Laaz

Does that mean I win a Insigne?  :D

Pal Meir
20 minutes ago, Laaz said:

Does that mean I win a Insigne?  :D

I am so sorry, but as the L insigne (N°1402) is potted in soil (customs!) and 180 cm tall/long it was not possible to ship it to the U.S.A. :( But I could give you some original L insigne fronds mulch: :innocent:

5925b20933f6c_PalmFrondMulchIMG_9176.thu

Laaz

Just kidding. If you ever get seeds keep me in mind...