IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

A Bus Ride in the Big Orgy

DoomsDave

Howdyall:

Last weekend, I had a bum knee, so instead of the Tour de La Habra I had to get out of the house in a way that was less orthopedically intensive.

This is the 43 bus from La Habra down Harbor Booley, to Costa Mesa.

Snapped pics from the Digi-cam out the window of the bus, so these are candid shots . . .

Here is a $400K house, on the main drag of Harbor Booley, almost across the street from the King of Big Screen TV (we went past before I could get a pic).

Note the Ravenea rivs in the treelawn!

post-208-1178944725_thumb.jpg

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Harbor and Imperial Highway, and queen palms

post-208-1178944797_thumb.jpg

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

A sneaky-peaky of the inside of the bus.

post-208-1178944843_thumb.jpg

Storefront in Anaheim.

post-208-1178944953_thumb.jpg

A $5-550K house in Anaheim.

Seriously.

post-208-1178945005_thumb.jpg

Kid with big hair at the bus stop.

The bus rocked because it had that blackout that made it very hard to see in, but not out, so you could photog all the people you wanted and not have them riot.

Su-weet . . .

post-208-1178945078_thumb.jpg

Motel near the Big D -- Disneyland, Anaheim.

post-208-1178945149_thumb.jpg

Guy in bus stop.  Anaheim, near the Big D

post-208-1178945195_thumb.jpg

Hotel near the Big D.

post-208-1178945247_thumb.jpg

Row of date palms, transported in from the desert, near the Big D, Anaheim.

post-208-1178945293_thumb.jpg

Fast food joint, Anaheim

post-208-1178945330_thumb.jpg

Things have been DRY this winter, drier than Drew Carey's humor.  Plants that didn't get water suffered, like this poor Jacaranda.

post-208-1178945392_thumb.jpg

All in all we're just another brick in the wall.

What surprised me about so-Cal was the walls around the housing tracts.  There are places where you can go for miles and see this, just walls and houses (these are probably 800-900K $u.s.) and palms sticking up above.

post-208-1178945506_thumb.jpg

Washies in the distance.

Ain't home without 'em even if I cut mine down, go figure . . .

post-208-1178945679_thumb.jpg

Costa Mesa, nice palms in a Yuppie-mall.  Look like Kings in too much shade.

HOT that day, about 40 F.  Seriously!

post-208-1178945748_thumb.jpg

The washies are coming!  

Agggh!  Get them off me!

They pop up everywhere, like relatives you wish would go home . . .

post-208-1178945802_thumb.jpg

Mo Washies

post-208-1178945838_thumb.jpg

Dear Dave  :)

nice coverage of that lovely town.

and i was much impressed with the date palms row line up.

thanks & Love,

Kris  :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Dave,

Nice tour around the hood. More pics. of dates......don't you get tired of seeing them? Sort of like Queens here. Where was the bizzies? Or Kentia's? Maybe a burretiokentia.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Dave,

It looks like you are getting some miles on your camera.  The bus trip is a good way to see town.  One thing that I have been using to take pictures and not call attention to the folks around is my cell phone.  The latest one I got has a great camera.  Quite a few pictures I have posted lately are from the cell phone camera.  It is only 2 megapixels, but takes surpisingly good pictures.

Nice to see the surroundings where you roam.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Modest houses in Costa Mesa.  800K, from what I heard.

Yowza!

post-208-1178983222_thumb.jpg

Another modest house, Costa Mesa

post-208-1178984010_thumb.jpg

A veggie field, right on the Booley.

Probably the last one left.

post-208-1178984107_thumb.jpg

Mutilated Washies, about 30 m (0 feet) tall.  Trailer park, I think . . .

post-208-1178984179_thumb.jpg

This drought is bad news.

Ordinarily, a vacant lot like this would be filled with weeds going brown at this time of the year.

This year, it's like Palm Desert . . .

post-208-1178984253_thumb.jpg

Another dry lot.

I hope this doesn't go on for years . . .

post-208-1178984293_thumb.jpg

Yard in old-town Anaheim.  This house is about 70 years old.

post-208-1178984359_thumb.jpg

"Craftsman" bungalow, I think.  You could order the house in kit form, from Sears and put it together, back in the 1920s.  More or less.

post-208-1178984426_thumb.jpg

Armstong Garden Center, La Habra, Imperial and Harbor, more or less.

Most expensive place around . . .

post-208-1178986755_thumb.jpg

great insiders view on california del sur! Those real estate prices are crazy. They should come move to Gainesville.

Here are some 800 K-ish ones

276086a.jpg

269574a.jpg

I'm always up for learning new things!

Kyle!

Great pics!

Hmm.  Maybe start your own thread . . .

I wanna see all the panoply of houses in the big G, low to high.

Bet it's gonna be a bit like the Mississippi Delta . . . .

dave

P.S.,  did you see Scarlett and Rhett in their SUV at that lower house?  (Where is that mint julep and gin!)

With Dave's drive-bys I feel like I've visited the place already. Two things caught my attention, the cheap looking expensive houses, and the Washies. I love to see them in their native habitat. If it was here you would have Sabal palmettos in posts #16 and #17.

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

humid/hot summers; dry/cool winters

with yearly freezes

Dave,

The prices for those homes are outrageous. $800K in Cincinnati, depending on the neighborhood, will normally fetch a 3500-4000 finished sq ft. 5bd 3bath house on 2 acres of land.

Cincinnati, Ohio USA & Mindo, Ecuador

Good work Dave.  You are quite the photo journalist.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

• 2 weeks later...

Dave, you should have stopped at that Alberto's on Harbor and Lampson for a bite.  The carnitas burritos there are muy sabrosos.  Those kings you showed at the shopping center didn't show the complete installation - those kings are planted on a subterranean level(9 to 10 feet or more below), and just the crownshafts and fronds are at street level, visible from Harbor, just around the corner from Newport Blvd.  The State Farm (Newport Beach) coconut is a couple of miles from there at PCH, just south of Newport Blvd., on the N(E) side of the street, facing Lido Isle and the water.

Doug Gavilanes

Garden Grove, CA.

Zone 10A (10B on really good days...)

I just re-looked at this thread, so forgive the late response.

Re: Armstrong Nursery. I buy SuperThrive and John&Bob's there and that's it. There prices are so high they actually have entertainment value:

Caryota mitis, 5 gallon... $120!

Queen Palm, 25 gallon... $750!

King Palm, 5 gallon... $70!

Kentia, 5 gallon... $150

See what I mean? WHO BUYS PALMS THERE!

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)