IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

How many has yours got?

Steve Mac

I'm not sure how special it is, but from most other Metallicas that I have seen, ours seems to hold a lot of leaves.

Twenty nine including the spear. And none of the bottom ones look like dieing soon either.

Outside, the garden Metallicas average about a dozen leaves, and a couple in deep shade look great but only have about six leaves. 

It is near a sunny window inside, and I do tend to 'overpot'  compared to most people.

Mainly because I forget to water them. How many leaves do they usually hold?

20170515_172743.thumb.jpg.e88714c6a9323a

• Like 1
  • Upvote 11

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

• 2 years later...
On 5/15/2017 at 4:06 AM, gtsteve said:

I'm not sure how special it is, but from most other Metallicas that I have seen, ours seems to hold a lot of leaves.

Twenty nine including the spear. And none of the bottom ones look like dieing soon either.

Outside, the garden Metallicas average about a dozen leaves, and a couple in deep shade look great but only have about six leaves. 

It is near a sunny window inside, and I do tend to 'overpot'  compared to most people.

Mainly because I forget to water them. How many leaves do they usually hold?

20170515_172743.thumb.jpg.e88714c6a9323a

@gtsteve does this still hold so many leaves?  

That’s a lot of leaves. Mine just can’t make up its mind what form of leave it wants. 

2DD95144-C69C-4A25-AF45-B88AA303AFF2.jpeg

4E0DCFC3-63ED-4AB6-BA7C-55AD0356AF0E.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

Steve, I find that effect more interesting than fully split or fully bifid. And thank you and Spike who inspired my not so funny sig.  And while you are here, I would like to say that I think you are the best at 'What is this palm'  on the forum.  Which leads me to think that 'Who is best at, 'What's this' would be a great new thread, but I am not going to start it. Another week in lockdown maybe. 

I really have to get a better camera than this very old tablet that I use, only if for others pleasure, because I get so much pleasure from the splendid and clear photography from so many of our palmtalkers.  I am a bit embarrassed but not always deterred from posting my pics.

Oh, Cape, thank you for that blurry blast from the past. No, that poor girl is no longer a shadow of her former self, last year, during summer I relegated her to the garden to keep my three boys in the garden company. That was when we were allowed to travel in a van without being looked at as if we were carrying the plague.  It, she, the palm did not fare well. It was a bad time to move it into the garden, it was summer, it was eaten, it was burnt by heat and wind. I don't know what is in the ground there but my 30 yr old Rhapis behind them is always half dead. It may have a virus, I don't know, just saying. 

Here she is at the back, my former record breaking metalica, down to 7 leaves. My boys have 12, 13 and 14. But I think that it will live and improve in the next few years.

20200404_132003.thumb.jpg.db19ab80d107f13ade86a78a978de655.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Cheers Steve

@Stevetoad  I confused Spike Milligan for John Cleese's quote "it's not dead it's sleeping" in your sig, that would have had my rambling more cryptic than usual.

Cheers Steve

21 hours ago, gtsteve said:

Steve, I find that effect more interesting than fully split or fully bifid. And thank you and Spike who inspired my not so funny sig.  And while you are here, I would like to say that I think you are the best at 'What is this palm'  on the forum.  Which leads me to think that 'Who is best at, 'What's this' would be a great new thread, but I am not going to start it. Another week in lockdown maybe. 

I really have to get a better camera than this very old tablet that I use, only if for others pleasure, because I get so much pleasure from the splendid and clear photography from so many of our palmtalkers.  I am a bit embarrassed but not always deterred from posting my pics.

Oh, Cape, thank you for that blurry blast from the past. No, that poor girl is no longer a shadow of her former self, last year, during summer I relegated her to the garden to keep my three boys in the garden company. That was when we were allowed to travel in a van without being looked at as if we were carrying the plague.  It, she, the palm did not fare well. It was a bad time to move it into the garden, it was summer, it was eaten, it was burnt by heat and wind. I don't know what is in the ground there but my 30 yr old Rhapis behind them is always half dead. It may have a virus, I don't know, just saying. 

Here she is at the back, my former record breaking metalica, down to 7 leaves. My boys have 12, 13 and 14. But I think that it will live and improve in the next few years.

20200404_132003.thumb.jpg.db19ab80d107f13ade86a78a978de655.jpg

Fingers crossed you'll get some baby record leafed metallicas now that she's with the boys.

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, gtsteve said:

@Stevetoad  I confused Spike Milligan for John Cleese's quote "it's not dead it's sleeping" in your sig, that would have had my rambling more cryptic than usual.

Oh man! I thought I made it up. Goes to show all original ideas are already taken. :)

• Upvote 1

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

Mine hardly carries that many leaves at any one time but I neglect the heck out of it ever since I turned off the automatic sprinkler system.

CE208AD7-F862-4378-9CA8-B290F48DD86E.jpeg

• Upvote 1

So are you saying your palm is pining for the fjords?  :D

My bifids are occasionally fully pinnate, like the leaf in the top center.  There are 3 plants in the photo and a 4th stem that got broken off by accident and never resprouted.  Each plant has about 6-8 leaves.  It's kind of neglected because I haven't figured out where to put it yet.  I have so little shade that it sort of has to hide in the back of the nursery area. 

P1050915.thumb.JPG.3e4fce9475039c82fc8b3a0dbf8cdcf2.JPG

• Upvote 1

An uncommon triple planting but they look happy none the less. 

They are a very tough and adaptable little palm I have found.

• Like 1

Cheers Steve